Help and advice

Richie Pod
Richie Pod Posts: 5
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi guys

Can I pick your brains please. I commute from Brighton to Worthing each day (it's about 14 miles a day as I get the train back at night). I'm riding a Dahon Cadenza solo 700c folder. It's rubbish I had to spend a lot of money getting the wheels rebuilt and it's just not reliable. I am averaging a puncture every 10 days and it's driving me mad I swapped to a schwalbe marathon plus rear but still got a puncture (can't change the bloody thing on my own now either as can't get it off the rims with my arthritic wrists). I ride at about 100 PSI and always get rear punctures.

So first off how do I stop getting so many punctures it's a real bag of surfaces I am on, from road (a lot of glass and rubbish on the A 259) to path to to almost towpath style track. Oh and Is Zefal repair spray any good?

Second I want to get a more reliable ride but budget is really tight now. I really like the responsive ride from the set up of the Solo and like the idea of another Sports Hybrid. But I want gears and some thing that will eat the distance. I was looking at the Ridgeback Meteor but this is getting out of my price range. I looked at the Ridgeback Comet which is virtualy the same bike without the mudguards, sus seat post and rack but a fair bit cheaper. So do you rate the Comet or do you have a suggestion on another bike.

Sorry my first post was an essay.

Richie

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    what size tyres?

100 psi is high for anything >28mm
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome! :)

Have you checked whether the rim is damaged in a way which might damage the tubes?

Can't help on the choice of bike, I'm afraid (I'd say get a road bike :) ).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    What width are your tyres? if 23c, they should probably be a bit higher than 100 psi, particularly with the roads in the state they are at the moment. If 25c or wider, then you are probably alright, but have a quick check for the recommended pressure on the tyre. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres should give reasonable puncture protection, but notihing is invincible.

Next thing is to check the inside of the tyre very carefully in good light for any foreign bodies trapped in the tyre. I have had a few really tiny splinters, that have worked through the tyre with barely a nick on the outside. Same applies for the rim, and any spoke ends that might be pushing through the rim tape (if you've had them rebuilt recently, and they didn't quite get the spoke length right this might be the case, but very easy to spot).

The other possible reason for repeat punctures is trapping the tube under the tyre bead, or getting it twisted or trapped in some other way. I used to do this quite often. A bit of talc inside the tyre can help prevent this, plus slightly inflating the tube before you refit the tyre, and checking all the way round both sides before you fully re-inflate. However, if you have done this, you won't usually get far before the inner tube blows spectacularly (sounds like a gun going off) so you'd know if this was it I think.

The only other thing I can think of is trying variations to the route if there is a particularly rubbish strewn stretch. Hope that wasn't too waffly, and sorry if you've already tried all of the above.

Not quite clear what you find unreliable about the Dahon (aside from the tyres) and not that familiar with Ridgebacks, so I'm not sure where to start on the bike advice.

EDIT: I'll see your essay and raise you... :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. So took the wheel to evans to get the inner tube replaced (as can't get the tyre off myself), the mechanic said the tube was faulty and replaced it for free and I have been ok since. So I hope the new tyre will be the solution. Met a guy pushing his bike this morning on my way in to work who had just got a puncture but left his kit at home so I gave him mind, I really felt his pain.

Any way guys has one got one of the following bikes and can pass judgement on them

Kona Dew, Scott P6 sportster, Ridgeback Meteor.
  • I have a Kona Dew Drop, which is just a Dew with drop bars.

I wanted something hefty & tough as my commute can go offroad for a few miles if i want, but still with drop bars as anything else doesn't really make sense for longish commutes.

It is heavy due to cheap sub-105 kit, huge heavy tyres and full 45mm SKS guards but it is a great commuter.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Richie Pod wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. So took the wheel to evans to get the inner tube replaced (as can't get the tyre off myself), the mechanic said the tube was faulty and replaced it for free and I have been ok since. So I hope the new tyre will be the solution. Met a guy pushing his bike this morning on my way in to work who had just got a puncture but left his kit at home so I gave him mind, I really felt his pain.

Any way guys has one got one of the following bikes and can pass judgement on them

Kona Dew, Scott P6 sportster, Ridgeback Meteor.

Always carry a couple of tubes and a repair kit with you. Don't be afraid to repair tubes, too.

I prefer the Scott and the Kona oer the Meteor.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."