I got hit... well I hit the car.

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
So I was going along and then went onto the road as my path shows. There were no cars behind me, or to the left when i came on, nor was there any one on the round about when i was approaching. I'm going along and saw a car going along. I've got the right of way and stuff, so I continued. So I'm going along and the car is going along. The car is going... and going...

I see the driver looking at a bit of paper. The car is still going along.

So I basically ended up going into the car. Nether of us were going too fast, though i did get a reasonable knock and my left tricep is hurting now and I got a little bruise on the left hip. The bike seemed alright.

Drivers fault - negligence basically. He stopped while on the roundabout and after a look to see if I was moving so to say, he pointed to the road where the blue line finishes. We both went there. He seemed to be distressed and such. He said he was lost and that the car was not hit - his bosses after a question. II asked for a few details. He wrote them down as I had no pen/paper. Got the number plates, he wrote his mobile and name. How trustworthy the mobile is I dono, but the plates checked out at least.

That could have been quite a bit worse if you think about it. A lesson for me I can say. Hopefully the guy will have taken it so as well.

Location - 54.976344,-1.58676

Comments

• You are blatantly at fault, that red line is wobbling all over the place- were you drunk man?!

You did have right of way, but then so did I about 18 months ago when I got took off on a RAB. Broken Scaphoid & Coccyx.

Was it enough of a knock to get yourself checked out? Or enough to bend the frame/forks? Always worth getting these things checked.
  • Valy
    You are blatantly at fault, that red line is wobbling all over the place- were you drunk man?!

You did have right of way, but then so did I about 18 months ago when I got took off on a RAB. Broken Scaphoid & Coccyx.

Was it enough of a knock to get yourself checked out? Or enough to bend the frame/forks? Always worth getting these things checked.

LOL, a potential wobbly lines commend did cross my mind when I was drawing them. :P

What happened to you, or how did it happen rather? What was the deal later on - with the driver and you? Though had I been there a few moments earlier, I could have been hit from the side by the front of the car... good thing I did nto.

As far as the bike and me - all seems okay. My left tricep hurts, a bruise on the left hip. The knee was hit as well.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Definitely get yourself and your bike checked over. When did it happen? It can take a few days for aches and pains to show up. I got knocked off 4 years ago, I felt a bit achy at first but didn't bother going to the doctor's. I decided to go over a week later though, after I'd decided to put a claim in, and was successful in getting some compo. Four years later my shoulder still gives me grief every now and then.
  • Similar thing but I was going right over the RAB, driver was approaching from my left. He slowed, stopped, then set off across the RAB, I had to brake as much as possible to avoid him taking me off, and ended up hitting him around the drivers door.

I thought I was ok but it was right outside work & the security guards had already called an ambulance so I was taken to BRI in Bristol, luckily for me the paramed types didn't believe me!

The driver admitted fault right away, he was facing due east and it was an early spring morning so he was blinded by the sun. I was in plaster for 8 weeks & off work for 12. My final assessment medical is next month so any money might be coming soon-ish. The bike needs £600 worth of repair and my Breitling was scratched and quoted at £450 for a polish & service so I will be glad to get that sorted.
  • Valy
    Similar thing but I was going right over the RAB, driver was approaching from my left. He slowed, stopped, then set off across the RAB, I had to brake as much as possible to avoid him taking me off, and ended up hitting him around the drivers door.

I thought I was ok but it was right outside work & the security guards had already called an ambulance so I was taken to BRI in Bristol, luckily for me the paramed types didn't believe me!

The driver admitted fault right away, he was facing due east and it was an early spring morning so he was blinded by the sun. I was in plaster for 8 weeks & off work for 12. My final assessment medical is next month so any money might be coming soon-ish. The bike needs £600 worth of repair and my Breitling was scratched and quoted at £450 for a polish & service so I will be glad to get that sorted.

How fast were you going? :P What about the above mentioned money - is the driver obliged to pay that or... ?

EDIT: Oh, did not see your post there, soz. Yeah - I will see how things are, but hopefully all will be alright. I would rather have everything as it is (seemingly okay), as opposed to having whatever problem and getting a few £s for it...
  • Well the approach to the RAB is downhill, it was my first day of the year commuting on my beautiful Bianchi instead of an MTB, new helmet, shiny new silver shoes... I was going quickly, but slowly enough to have stopped had the driver not fooled me by slowing down, stopping, then pulling off again!

Any money will come from his insurance, I have no idea what to expect - I might be retiring on it, I might just get enough for a creme egg!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Similar thing but I was going right over the RAB, driver was approaching from my left. He slowed, stopped, then set off across the RAB, I had to brake as much as possible to avoid him taking me off, and ended up hitting him around the drivers door.

Sounds similar to what happened to me.. ie already on the RAB when driver pulled from the left with "the sun in my eyes, guv". And as I said to the copper on the phone, I aint easy to miss, plus had me lights on, and why didnt he wind his window down and put on shades or something, or cover his brow. The copper agreed with me.
  • Valy
    Well the approach to the RAB is downhill, it was my first day of the year commuting on my beautiful Bianchi instead of an MTB, new helmet, shiny new silver shoes... I was going quickly, but slowly enough to have stopped had the driver not fooled me by slowing down, stopping, then pulling off again!

Any money will come from his insurance, I have no idea what to expect - I might be retiring on it, I might just get enough for a creme egg!

Daaayym. Was the bike pretty new as well or... ? How was the helmut - that is if there was a strong impact on the helmet. (asking not because it was new, but curious what happened to it)

Oh so you will be getting a compensation which must cover the damage, or is it just a given amount?

DF - so did the driver drive off or what?
  • downfader
    Valy, nah the driver stayed, called the ambo. This was back in 2008. Claiming on his insurance became a bit of a job as he decided to lie to his insurer and gave me the run around.

My advice is this for anyone in the same situation in the future: join the CTC (or british cycling). They've got the tools, let them deal with it, if you're injured they have Lawyers that work on contract for them. IMO if you've suffered an injury I see no reason why the driver's insurance shouldnt cover some recompense.

If you're not a member yet there are firms that will do no-win no-fee kinds of set up (been discussed on here loads already)
  • Valy
    downfader wrote:
    Valy, nah the driver stayed, called the ambo. This was back in 2008. Claiming on his insurance became a bit of a job as he decided to lie to his insurer and gave me the run around.

My advice is this for anyone in the same situation in the future: join the CTC (or british cycling). They've got the tools, let them deal with it, if you're injured they have Lawyers that work on contract for them. IMO if you've suffered an injury I see no reason why the driver's insurance shouldnt cover some recompense.

If you're not a member yet there are firms that will do no-win no-fee kinds of set up (been discussed on here loads already)

I see. The idea of joining a group for protection in case of anything sounds like a good idea - the more you cycle the better it sounds I guess.

I just clicked on one of the links in your sig and it was the blog. Saw that last video, then clicked on it and went on youtube - saw another cycling/driver range video and after that the idea of getting a camera seems like a pretty good one.

You just have it on for all rides.
  • Valy, did the driver at least treat you to a KFC afterwards? :lol:
  • downfader
    Porta105 wrote:
    Valy, did the driver at least treat you to a KFC afterwards? :lol:

:lol: 'orrible stuff, who'd eat that muck! :lol:
  • Valy
    No... no KFC.

Is it some inside joke? :oops:
  • Not at all Valy, but judging from your aerial photo that's the roundabout by Morrisons in Byker and the car park you pulled into is more or less the KFC one, I may be mistaken lol.
  • Valy
    Porta105 wrote:
    Not at all Valy, but judging from your aerial photo that's the roundabout by Morrisons in Byker and the car park you pulled into is more or less the KFC one, I may be mistaken lol.

Ah, I see.

Are you from around there?