Disc brakes - how much harder on spokes than rim brakes?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm not an MTBer but because my question is about disc brakes I thought it would be better to post here.

I'm a roadie/commuter mainly and I'm planning to build a drop-bar bike with disc brakes later this year for commuting. I have heard that disc brakes place more stress on spokes than rim brakes do (which makes sense) but I was wondering if this means I would need to up the spoke count from my current wheel?

For example, let's say I had a 32-spoke rear wheel that was serving me well on my current bike with rim brakes, but it was just at the limit of working properly (IE it can just about cope with the weight and stresses involved, but not much more)... When I change over to discs would that push things over the limit of what 32 spokes can handle? Would I really need to go up to 36?

Or does it not work like that because we're talking about different forces compared to weight-bearing (ie rotational versus straight up and down)?

I know there are plenty of 32-spoke bikes out there with disc brakes that work just fine but if we could concentrate on my hypothetical situation above when it comes to answers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well harder on the hubs for sure. 3 or 4 cross patterns. (standard hubs and spokes)

otherwise not really as a rim brake can exert similar forces.

what weights are you talking about?

and really the build has more to do with the strength of the wheel what rims are you looking at?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Theres plenty of tough disc wheels out there with 32 or fewer spokes so spoke count doesnt have a lot to do with it

Its how the wheel is laced and the components used in the build is what counts.

Are you talking about a disc compatible wheel that you have been using with rim brakes and now want to use disc brakes. If so then the wheel should be capable of taking the stresses.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap