Cyclemeter by Abvio for iPhone

Mountainboy2465
Mountainboy2465 Posts: 121
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else use this app?

It is absolutely brilliant, plots routes as you ride, 'speaks' your progress whenever you want it to (I have it set to tell me my speed, average speed, time & distance every mile), it 'Tweets' my rides as I finish (useless but fun) and then emails me a link to a Google map with my ride overlaid with mile markers & speeds between them.

It plots all my rides on a calendar that I can then review at any time in the future.

Best £2.99 I have spent since my last pint of Gold!

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    One of my Facebook friends uses it and it posts updates as he rides too. It's mildly amusing to be able to see where he is in real time but you should probably bear this in mind:
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/home-insure ... outs/25942
  • How do these social network aware burglars know where people live?

Not sure how he gets it onto FB in real time, it doesnt seem to have that functionality.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    How do these social network aware burglars know where people live?

For most people the ride will start and end at their home. The app allows you to include a map of the ride. Look a a handful of rides from someone and you get a pretty good idea of where they live. You might even be able to tell when they go for their longer rides.
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    How do these social network aware burglars know where people live?

For most people the ride will start and end at their home. The app allows you to include a map of the ride. Look a a handful of rides from someone and you get a pretty good idea of where they live. You might even be able to tell when they go for their longer rides.

doesnt necessarily mean the property is empty though
    just as effective is parking up in a street every morning and watching when people leave for work
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Accepted, but that does not mention anything about the people staying at home!?

IF I was a burglar (and I'm not - I play for the opposing team) I would rather watch people leave a premise before assuming it might be empty.

Or then I might not bother at all, 2 girls have just been arrested in the north of our area after just walking through the front doors of houses that were obviously still occupied. 2 of the owners had not noticed that anything had been taken when they were told they had been burgled a few days later!
  • Anyway, this is a red herring...

You don't need to post anything!

If anyone who uses the iPhone wants a cheap (£2.99) GPS/cycle computer then it is worth a look.
  • I'm addicted to bloody Apps but hadn't heard of this one, I like the idea of it plotting my route after on Google maps so I can easily work out new routes or alternatives. Will give it a go.

Oh and and "I'm not - I play for the opposing team" made me laugh, I'll be using that one myself at the next opportunity. There do seem to be quite a few of us on here.....
  • Bought this on the strength of the original post. Very pleased with it indeed. Been trialling it today on the commute in and matches very closely to my Cateye Strada. The mapping is brill and the CSV export will save me loads of laborious transcribing. Bargain for £2.99!
  • Thanks guys. Was just about to go out and buy a second bike compouter for the pc but it seems now I have an iPhone I don't need to buy many things I used to.

It is a stunning piece of kit. Has anybody ever met anybody who has any gripes about it beyond the battery life?

David
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Does this work with the phone in a pannier bag or does it need to be out in the open so the GPS can see the sky?
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Been using it for about a month. It's very very good. Like it lots.

Can be a bit inconsistent - ie never get the exact same results for my commute. Sometimes it can be way out.

I understand this is a limitation of the iPhone hardware more than the app itself.
  • Does it work in panniers?

Yes - I've had it both in my pannier and my rucksack.
  • It's a fantastic app that I've been using since October 09. It did suffer with a brief wobble a couple of weeks back following a software update that caused the GPS to go a bit wonky (claimed I'd done 29 miles, crossing fields and rivers in 30 minutes), but a further update has sorted this out.

I've stuck the iphone in my pocket or my backpack and it's had no problem with signal.

Make sure you turn it up as you need to make sure it doesn't get stopped by incoming calls. That said, if your on O2, their network takes care of that for you!

At 2.99 it's actually worth buying an iphone for....
  • Jamey, mine is always in a pouch on a messenger bag strap & works fine.

McM, looking at the routes it plots it does tend to 'smooth out' my actual route, but then so do most of the GPS I use/teach.

It is all down to the sample period, and as far as I can see that can't be adjusted on the iPhone.

It is far from a serious tool but for my needs it is brilliant, love the daily/weekly/monthly/annual stats it stores.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Amazing app. Brilliant value.