getting on busy trains with a bike

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
weather looks like it means train the bulk of the way home tonight, in rush hour. Hard to get on often as people are crammed in anyway and no chance of getting on with a bike. Has anyone tried asking the conductor at the end of the train if possible to put the bike in there (behind the door to the unused 'cab', in the section that is normally locked) at least until there is room to return to the cabin? That's the only possible way I can think of, but he might just say sod off, which seems likely!

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I don't know what line you are going for, but Southwest trains in London doesn't allow bikes until off peak. I suspect that other companies are the same, and with the train design I think that they are right

There are carriages that have bike spaces, but they can be busy or you spot them go past your place on the platform and due to the crowd you can't wheel the bike up in time to get to them.

If you can avoid the busy times
  • London Midland has a policy (I think, I'm sure central did before they were bought out) that they prefer you not to go on in busy times, its just a question of if there is space. I can't leave before busy times and don't want to stand around until non-busy times. I guess I'll just have to head down there and see what comes to pass.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I take my bike everyday on S/West trains no problem from them only the people that think the two cycle spaces are where they should either put their bags or stand, even when the train is empty :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Often see people with a non-folding bike on the way home on SW Trains (about 6pm), and have taken mine on the train at peak time before... I aim for one that is non-stop to where I am going, try and get on it early before it fills up, and head to the front where it is generally quieter.
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • itboffin wrote:
    I take my bike everyday on S/West trains

you do know the miles spent on the train with your bike don't count for SCS don't you...?!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    salsajake wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

you do know the miles spent on the train with your bike don't count for SCS don't you...?!

Yes otherwise I'd be almost 46,000 train miles alone :wink:

Do you seriously think I hadn't already worked that one out :lol:

Go on ask me another one :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    salsajake wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yes otherwise I'd be almost 46,000 train miles alone :wink:

Do you seriously think I hadn't already worked that one out :lol:

Go on ask me another one :roll:

just testing you for a chink in your armour whilst your guard is still 'post-hols' down. As i believe it is CJCP that says "I got nothing"
  • I use London Midlands a few times a week between Brum and Wolves and have never had a problem even at peak times.
  • I use London Midlands a few times a week between Brum and Wolves and have never had a problem even at peak times.

you are lucky! The train I get is often crammed with people standing all down the aisles. Its not worth even approaching it because people (rightly) just give you a "don't even think about it sunshine" look.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Usually, all lines ban non-folding bikes during rush hour in the direction of the rush hour. You may happen across a friendly and helpful member of staff who might let you on, but I wouldn't bank on it.

<smug>My commute is, of course, in the opposite direction to the rush hour so I am able to take my non-folding bike on the train any time I need to</smug>

salsajake - Porsche 917? Can't tell if it the K or L body.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can barely consider getting my bike on the train even off peak. One time I caught the last train home at about midnight with the bike after a few beers. When I got on, the train was relatively empty but at subsequent stations, loads of people got on. We pulled into the station before my stop and my bike had become wedged between a mass of people and a handrail by the door and I just couldn't move it out of the way. I was trying to swing the bike back into the train to get it away from the handrail but people were pushing forwards trying to get off and starting to get a bit aggressive. In the end I managed to manhandle the bike off the train but it was a nightmare. I now never use the train with bike at peak times or the last train of the day to avoid these situations
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I can barely consider getting my bike on the train even off peak. One time I caught the last train home at about midnight with the bike after a few beers. When I got on, the train was relatively empty but at subsequent stations, loads of people got on. We pulled into the station before my stop and my bike had become wedged between a mass of people and a handrail by the door and I just couldn't move it out of the way. I was trying to swing the bike back into the train to get it away from the handrail but people were pushing forwards trying to get off and starting to get a bit aggressive. In the end I managed to manhandle the bike off the train but it was a nightmare. I now never use the train with bike at peak times or the last train of the day to avoid these situations

Surely that's the rail equivalent of the nightbus. No wonder it was a bit pushy-shovey
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Just don't go over to the dark side (ie getting a folding "bicycle" abomination).

"No going to the dark side!!!" (name that film)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • totally off topic...

its a stunning picture ruined by compression! Its a K - the #22 Martini liveried 1971 Le Mans winner. This photo and lots of similar ones at: http://www.art-racing.com (I bought a v large print of this one)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    salsajake wrote:
    totally off topic...

its a stunning picture ruined by compression! Its a K - the #22 Martini liveried 1971 Le Mans winner. This photo and lots of similar ones at: http://www.art-racing.com (I bought a v large print of this one)

I can do you a much better compression than that if you like.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • salsajake wrote:
    totally off topic...

Classic racer - but surprisingly small if you ever stand next to one - and wickedly quick. The Martini car that year beat the 'works-backed' JWA cars, with some works support of its own via members of the Porsche family if i remember correctly - says a man a long wayfrom home where his motorsport books are!

I was once in a shed in Hampshire which had a 917/10 parked up in the corner.
  • salsajake wrote:
    totally off topic...

Classic racer - but surprisingly small if you ever stand next to one - and wickedly quick. The Martini car that year beat the 'works-backed' JWA cars, with some works support of its own via members of the Porsche family if i remember correctly - says a man a long wayfrom home where his motorsport books are!

I was once in a shed in Hampshire which had a 917/10 parked up in the corner.

Your knowledge of the era surpasses mine! Stunning car though. I'm a bit more knowledgeable about current era sportscar stuff, and this year should be even more vivid given that I have just received press accrediation to cover the Le Mans Series this year - result!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    salsajake wrote:
    totally off topic...

I can do you a much better compression than that if you like.

I'll take that as a no then :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • salsajake wrote:
    Your knowledge of the era surpasses mine! Stunning car though. I'm a bit more knowledgeable about current era sportscar stuff, and this year should be even more vivid given that I have just received press accrediation to cover the Le Mans Series this year - result!

Really - I'll be at every race with a team...you on my media distribution list? And I really ought to chase a pass myself, never been to Paul Ricard before.