Kings road roadworks

tea boy
tea boy Posts: 11
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all. I commute daily from Greenwich to Parsons Green - A nice 11 mile commute.

My route used to take me along chelsea embankment then I'd nip up onto New Kings road/Kings road, recently though I've varied my route to go carry along Lots road/Chelsea harbour to avoid the traffic caused by road works along Kings road (some work on a bridge i believe). Does anyone know if this work has finished yet, or is due to finish soon? The last time i attempted that route I had a bit of a mare trying to weave between the stationary buses and HGV's, oh and nearly got left hooked by a Chelsea tractor.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sign says expected completion date of 26th Feb. Whether that happens is another story. Never seen any workmen on site...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Never seen any workmen on site...

+1. You'll see hen's teeth before that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ah thanks! I must have missed that sign. Fingers crossed for next week then...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    The fact that they put roadworks up along Lots Road at the same time as bringing the NKR to a halt is the work of council brilliance.
  • jonginge
    W1 wrote:
    The fact that they put roadworks up along Lots Road at the same time as bringing the NKR to a halt is the work of council brilliance.
    Yeah, I tried that way once and thought 'FFS'. The route through chelsea harbour is slow with all the speed bumps :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Re that left turn onto the King's Road...when you immediatly hit the road works by Chutney Mary...which way do you go in the morning? That bit is one way road, so I ended up going all the way to Sloane square and via Victoria....wondered if there was a better way.
  • jonginge
    Sewinman wrote:
    Re that left turn onto the King's Road...when you immediatly hit the road works by Chutney Mary...which way do you go in the morning? That bit is one way road, so I ended up going all the way to Sloane square and via Victoria....wondered if there was a better way.
    Turn right at the next one east: NKR onto Edith Grove
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Right at the next set of lights (I think it's onto Edith Grove) brings you out onto Embankment at the same place.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Cheers!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Yeah, I tried that way once and thought 'FFS'. The route through chelsea harbour is slow with all the speed bumps :(

Plus the road surface is fricking awful all the way to Wandsworth Bridge.

I think I'm going to route off embankment in the morning for a month or so; the traffic is appalling until Vauxhall in the mornings atm (at least for me). I'm also getting very tired of the nodders pulling in front of me at every set of lights, seriously, do it again and I'll rip off your Night Vision jacket and shove it between your heavy duty spokes you tw@ts. :evil:

I don't actually need to cross the river anyway so will try Battersea, 9 elms and Albert Embankment for a while.

Having a bad afternoon here!
  • cjcp

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I think I'm going to route off embankment in the morning for a month or so; the traffic is appalling until Vauxhall in the mornings atm (at least for me). I'm also getting very tired of the nodders pulling in front of me at every set of lights, seriously, do it again and I'll rip off your Night Vision jacket and shove it between your heavy duty spokes you tw@ts. :evil:

I don't actually need to cross the river anyway so will try Battersea, 9 elms and Albert Embankment for a while.

The worst road for me - by far - is Chiswell Street, off Moorgate. Downtown Baghdad has a better road surface, particularly after a damn good bombing raid. It looks like the aftermath of the combined blind society's pneumatic drill competiition and an unlock-the-doors-to-the-asylum-and-give-them-JCBs free for all, literally hundreds of various patches, ditches, trenches, raised metalworks, potholes. Everytime I ride it I stare in wonder at what must be a Turner prize winning work of art - it's that bad. If they'd simply ploughed it it couldn't be any worse.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Nasty roadworks those - the lights seem out of kinter, either that or there is lots of traffic going through on red leading to chaos at the pinch point.

Am fed up with feeling vunerable here when heading out of town - now sit at the front of the traffic, in the right hand lane and take primary position until the other side of the bridge. Only things that get past are motorbikes. One upside is that the traffic is lighter down "pinball alley" towards Parson's Green.
  • cjcp
    Of course, another good feature of these roadworks is the bollards which have appeared in the cycle lane, giving us less room. There are no workmen on site, so who did this? Elves? WTH is the point of the bollards?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I knew one of you would see sense sooner or later :wink: . Pity you're not swinging down to Clapham Road. We do have our fair share of nodders squeezing to the front though.

Oh and BTW, not all NightVision wearers are nodders thank you very much :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Yay - the roadworks are largely gone :D
  • cjcp
    :) Yeah, I did a double-take when I stopped at the lights and look at the bridge ahead.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:

Ok, but the vast majority are. :P
  • tgotb
    cjcp wrote:
    :) Yeah, I did a double-take when I stopped at the lights and look at the bridge ahead.
    I turned left onto NKR and it was like something from "28 Days Later"...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    rjsterry wrote:

What's a nodder? (Does having to ask make me one? ;)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • tgotb
    Norky wrote:
    What's a nodder?
    1. Place bike in highest gear
    2. Set off from traffic lights. Pedal as hard as possible, whilst keeping keeping a*se firmly on saddle
    3. Observe head motion
    Pannier, 120rpm.