Forum home Mountain biking forum Health, fitness & training

Blazing Saddles

chillibeerchillibeer Posts: 13
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I'm going to do my first marathon event this year and feel reasonably confident about it from a fitness point of view. However, what is worrying me is that when I'm out on a long ride the biggest problem I have is from my saddle. What is the best way to get comfy for a long ride?

I'll buy some good quality shorts and have recently read about chamois cream but what else can I do? Can anyone recommend a pair of cycling shorts? Do I wear underwear or go commando? Where does the MTB community stand on shaving down below?

I'd imagine these are simple issues that most MTBers deal with and I was hoping to get a wide range of solutions, I'd be gutted if I had to quit my event because I had a pain in the a*se. Any help is much appreciated.

• Surf-MattSurf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Saddle fit is vital - I can ride many miles on my "razor blade" and not get a sore butt even without padded shorts because it fits perfectly - but the shorts do help. Get good quality structured padded shorts - cheapos are a bit like wearing a nappy and don't help at all.
  • As above, good padded shorts, nothing under them.

As for shaving, most people would say no, personally i prefer my undertackle shaved as it's more comfy for me.
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    As above.

For a chamois cream that lasts the distance I've found that Chafe-Ease does best.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Many thanks for all your assitance. I now feel armed to ride my marathon in relative comfort.....................apart from the searing pain in my quads and burning sensation from deep within my lungs.

Cheers