People will Nick Anything

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
Spent some of Saturday & Sunday cutting down a 6 metre long hedge in my front garden ready for digging out the roots. This left a tidy pile of branches etc on my front lawn.

Went to work today (Monday), and imagine my surprise when I got home to find that it was all gone !! Every last branch of it. WTF

We do have a garden refuse collection service, but it is every other Wednesday and it has to be put in the appropriate coloured wheelie bin, whereas this was just piled on the lawn.

But it's all gone. Not complaining as I would have had to have got rid of it all myself. But it's just totally bizarre.

(No Scouser jokes please)
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• more likely birkenhead tip-rats that denizens of Gods own city.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • We once had a little Japanese Maple nicked from our front garden. It'd been there for months, then one day there was just a hole!

My neighbour also had some old wooden bench from his garden that he put out at the local bus stop for the elderly folks to sit on waiting for the buses that never come, and sure enough two days later that vanished...

There's just no shame anymore. :(
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Wow, Its not even near bonfire night!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    When I was a student, our student house got burgled - the little scumbags nicked a tub of fairy cakes that my nan had baked me. :cry: (They also nicked the MFI TV trolley but didn't bother with the little TV that was standing on it.)
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    My mate worked for the council and was laying new turf around a kids play area. Some blokes pulled up and said to him that he might as well put it straight onto the back of their van as they would be back for it later........................sure enough he turned up the next morning to find all the turf had gone.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Wow, Its not even near bonfire night!

Although dried out it could provide the perfect material for starting a fire and heating ones home.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    brucey72 you have no idea how much your avatar has just irritated me, trying to blow that spider off my screen :lol:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Someone chiselled part of our front wall off and had that, corner stone and some bricks once. We've had garden furniture and tools stolen from the shed too in the past.

Loads of stuff gets nicked at work too. Plates, cutlery, signs, wetfloor warning signs at that... they'll take it from a wet floor too.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I stole a woman's heart once. I made up for it by marrying her.
  • cathald
    cathald Posts: 105
    I keep leaving the wife outside the front gate but no one will take her :lol::lol:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Some one's rubbish is another man's treasure.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Spent some of Saturday & Sunday cutting down a 6 metre long hedge in my front garden ready for digging out the roots. This left a tidy pile of branches etc on my front lawn.

Went to work today (Monday), and imagine my surprise when I got home to find that it was all gone !! Every last branch of it. WTF

We do have a garden refuse collection service, but it is every other Wednesday and it has to be put in the appropriate coloured wheelie bin, whereas this was just piled on the lawn.

But it's all gone. Not complaining as I would have had to have got rid of it all myself. But it's just totally bizarre.

(No Scouser jokes please)

Have you noticed a few other weird things as well - the dog you had disappeared, the wife's dyed her hair etc? Yep, you're in the wrong house.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I left my bike locked up at the library the other day and some git nicked my skewers!
    Special shiny anodised ones that I'd had for about a week.

What a git! :(
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some scrotes nicked the wooden bench from outside our house a few christmases ago. I don't mind really, but it was useful in the summer to annoy my snotty DM reading, faux wealthy neighbour with a rod up her bum, by sitting on it in the summer with a can of lager and singing songs with the kids. :cry:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Working at a local large hospital cured me of any surprise at what people will steal. All sorts of things, over and above what you'd usually expect, dissappeared including toilet seats, cubicle walls, hand driers, office doors, tables, chairs, carpets, endless bits of kit and equipment and a lawn mower. The two largest items to vanish were a floral display in the entrance to the main entrance (comprising five planters each one weighing substantially more than a tonne) and a mechanical hoist capable of lifing five tonnes.

Bob
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    Nothing is sacred. Some people would nick the sugar out of your tea.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    we got burgled in a flat we used to live in...I managed to capture him and get the stuff back (the slly billy had left his methodone prescription in the back garden...i got him when he came back for it), which he had hidden in a bush round the corner....

but he took the weirdest things...

the list included...terramundi pot full of change (could understand that)
    half empty bottles of perfume and aftershave (eh!)
    my razor (eh!)
    packets of batteries (eh!)

and other weird stuff....but left ps2, pc, tv, dvd player, hifi...all the valuable stuff basically...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Someone nicked my shoelaces recently. Not making it up.
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    A mate was burgled a while back, he was about to go on holiday to PEru so had a load of US Dollars sitting around with his passport.

They got some small bits round about the passport and US dollars but left them. They also had his computer out ready to nick but left it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    some pathetic turd keeps pinching the dustcaps off of my car wheels while it's parked on my drive. Just to see how keen the sad bastard is, I tightened some on with a pair of pliers, no way I could undo them with fingers alone but a couple of weeks later they were gone.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    If you ever go to a 99p store, you will see that people have nicked stuff from there and also Lidli's and Alidi's :shock: :roll:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I stole a woman's heart once, I keep it in a shoe box under my bed.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    S m n st l th v w ls fr m my k yp d
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Richie63 wrote:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Richie63 wrote:

ou i a ' a , o eo e o e y o o a !
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Richie63 wrote:

ou i a ' a , o eo e o e y o o a !

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

19 15 13 5 15 14 5-8 1 19-14 9 3 11 5 4-1 12 12-20 8 3-12 5 20 20 5 18 19-6 18 15 13-13 25-11 5 25 2 15 1 18 4, 19 15-9'13-19 20 21 3 11-21 19 9 14 7-20 8 9 19- 9 21 13 2 5 18-3 15 4 5!
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I had a slab of blue stone we removed from the base of a fireplace stolen from the front verandah one night. The thing must have weighed in at over 600Lbs. It was directly under the bedroom window. No idea how they got it up and out the gate without waking me up.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    had a shower cover for my old Elise for when you couldn't be bothered to put the roof up - that got stolen!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    back in the early 80's my raleigh arena was locked up in the school bike shed with a pretty common cable lock. The sort that you wouldn't bother with these days.

At the end of the day, the bike was still there, unmoved and the lock was nowhere to be seen.

Off topic, but related to this is a tale a friend told me last night. His sons bike lock had the key sheared off it whilst in his schools bike shed. Dad turns up un-announced, suited and booted around 9:30 and makes his way to the bike shed. Once there, he sets about his work of resolving the boken lock issue.

Need l carry on???

Anyway, teacher turns up after 10 minutes and uses his best intimidating voice to ask, "and exactly what do you think you're doing", the faltering reply comes back that it is his sons bike. This is met with a demand to prove it and the information that the police are on their way.

The best bit is that he was made to go the the head teachers office.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I used to be part of the technical team setting up at pharmaceutical conferences. These were always well-attended by medicals professionals from around the world. It always amazed me how light-fingered people were. I watched one time as a medical professional carrying a pile of folders looked around her to see if anyone was watching, put her folders down on the nice, branded, corporate mouse mat, then relifted the folders complete with mouse mat underneath. Unfortunately for her, the mouse mat had a cable router on it so she ended up pulling the mat, the mouse and the laptop across the counter. Very funny. :D