Could you get rims powder coated?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Further to my thread on finding neon yellow rims, I just had a thought... Is it possible to get rims powder coated by one of the many powder coating companies out there?

Most of them will do aluminium bike frames and rims are aluminium so it should be ok, shouldn't it?

I know the braking surface would be trashed but these will be used on a bike with disc brakes so it doesn't matter.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but buy white rims and get them sprayed.

and without eyelets if possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jamey
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes but buy white rims and get them sprayed.

and without eyelets if possible.

Why spraying? Just because it's cheaper? Armourtex will powder coat rims for £15 each (just called them).

Not sure about buying without eyelets, more faff to then get them installed afterwards... I don't think it's going to clog up the spoke holes that much, is it?
  • nicklouse
    ohhh shame they are Downunder.

http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/velocity/

UK agents
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Jamey
    Velcoity and Brick lane Bikes came up in the other thread already:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12682702

They don't have the right colour.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    depends how much the eyelets flex when the wheels are built up. Once the powdercoat cracks, that's the beginning of the end of it....and after a while it will just look tatty.

If you want a proper job, consider anodising - but the end finish will depend on how the rim is prepared before plating...
  • Jamey
    Can you anodise matt neon colours though? All the anodising I've ever seen has been metallic/shiny rather than matt.
  • Jamey
    According to Halo their neon yellow rims are powder coated so surely the issue of the coating cracking when eyelets flex would exist on these rims too.

In this respect it doesn't matter whether I powder coat my own rims or buy some that have already been coated. Both of them will crack if the eyelets flex, won't they?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    the cracking thing might be an issue - might not....

Charge Bikes may be able to help - they sell a range of coloured deep section wheels, but not yellow......
  • nicklouse
    Jamey wrote:
    According to Halo their neon yellow rims are powder coated so surely the issue of the coating cracking when eyelets flex would exist on these rims too.

In this respect it doesn't matter whether I powder coat my own rims or buy some that have already been coated. Both of them will crack if the eyelets flex, won't they?

no if the rims have eyelets then you will have problems of parts moving and cracking the coating.

why do you think the eyelets are fitted after coating on off the shelf powder-coated rims?

or you buy rims that dont use eyelets and have them coated.
  • Jamey
    nicklouse wrote:
    why do you think the eyelets are fitted after coating on off the shelf powder-coated rims?

I didn't know that they were.

But yes, had I known I daresay I would have deduced that myself.
    nicklouse wrote:
    or you buy rims that dont use eyelets and have them coated.

As I understand it, rims that don't use eyelets cannot handle as high spoke tensions compared to rims with eyelets, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Certainly all my current rims are double-eyeletted and I'm happy with the strength of my wheels (all home-built).
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    How would you stop the poweder coating from going onto the braking surface?
    As I understand it you have to powder coat the whole thing to make it stick without cracking on the joints.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Jamey wrote:
    As I understand it, rims that don't use eyelets cannot handle as high spoke tensions compared to rims with eyelets, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Certainly all my current rims are double-eyeletted and I'm happy with the strength of my wheels (all home-built).
    You're roughly right, but you're also after neon yellow rims. That requirement doesn't sit well with plated steel eyelets which are less seen now anyway, as fewer people demand them, so the manufacturers may as well cut overheads. Plenty of rims have instead thick sections which can tolerate expected spoke tension. It might not be the graceful design of eyeletted and socketed rims — but it will do, and you can paint it.
  • Jamey
    Wappy - As I mentioned in the very first post, these would be used with disc brakes so covering the braking surface isn't a problem, in fact I'd prefer that.

So painting... If I was to buy a white rim (off-the-shelf white powdercoated jobby) what would need to be done to get it neon yellow? Anything special? Would normal frame resprayers do the job (not gonna do it myself, hate painting).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Halo rims are readily available in white, deep section, don't have eyelets and are plenty tough enough.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..