British Cycling's hall of fame

andrewgturnbull
andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Hi Folks.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simpson ... ll-of-fame
British Cycling's Hall of Fame inductees: Pat Adams, Caroline Alexander, Brian Annable, David Baker, Sid Barras, Stuart Benstead, Chris Boardman, Bill Bradley, Beryl Burton , Keith Butler, Arthur Campbell, Brian Cossavella, Doug Dailey, Tony Doyle, Ian Emmerson, Malcolm Elliott, Benny Foster, Tim Gould, Eileen Gray, Dave Hemsley, Barry Hoban, Dale Holmes, Mandy Jones, Peter Keen, Peter King, Stan Kite, Phil Liggett, Craig Maclean, Paul Manning, John & Doreen Mallinson, Yvonne McGregor, Gerry McDaid, Jason McRoy, Chas Messenger, George Millar, Robert Millar, Graeme Obree, Hugh Porter, Jason Queally, John Rawnsley, Brian Robinson, Alan Rushton, Tom Simpson, Eddie Soens, Colin Sturgess, Dot Tilbury, Graham Webb, Les West, Sean Yates and Tony Yorke.

I'll start: where's Reg Harris? 5 World Sprint Champions and 2 Olympic medals aren't good enough?

Cheers, Andy

Comments

• Was that in the past 50 years?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't know what the relevance of this is - we don't need a hall of fame to remember who did what - without wanting to be too much of a grumpy old bastard what's the point.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Some of the names on there do deserve recognition but it all looks a bit self-congratulatory. I hope all the money from Sky isn't going to people's heads.
  • No David Millar either, which I think as we're including Tom Simpson is a little hypocritical
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No David Millar either, which I think as we're including Tom Simpson is a little hypocritical

When did David Millar retire?

Move along folks, nothing to see here! :oops:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No Paul Curran.

I was with Sid the night this was announced. When someone told him he seemed quite shocked, then asked "do I get any money for it?" :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Kléber wrote:
    Some of the names on there do deserve recognition but it all looks a bit self-congratulatory. I hope all the money from Sky isn't going to people's heads.

How has it got anything to do with the Sky money? It's a celebration of 50 years of British Cycling as a governing body/organisation.

This sort of thing happens all the time in sport. Bit of a Gala dinner, everyone gets their suits/frocks out and there's some recognition for those who may not have been in the limelight over the years. Given many of those will have donated huge amounts of time, effort and in some cases finances to aid the sport it's really just a way of saying thank you.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    How has it got anything to do with the Sky money? It's a celebration of 50 years of British Cycling as a governing body/organisation.
    Well the certificates have SKY printed on them and Sky newsreader Dermot Murnaghan was on hand as the evening's MC. Like I say the awards are deserved but BC is looking flash with the cash these days, it was a ritzy ceremony.

Anyway, don't dwell on this too much some of the names on their deserve plenty of recognition, support and congratulations.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Isn't this old news?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    No David Millar either, which I think as we're including Tom Simpson is a little hypocritical

Malcolm Elliott is in there
  • Elliot retired from proper international racing a while ago. I think the article on the BC website explains this.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    No Dave Lloyd? :?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Isn't this old news?
    The original list was announced in December, but the gala bash was last weekend.

Shame gotheteeshirt2 didn't attend, but I don't think he does "brussels sprouts occasions" now
  • Percy Vera wrote:

Earlier in the thread someone listed the winners so it might be eassier to check the list than just ask random questions!!

From what I understand there will be future additions to the HoF so anyone who missed out like Curran could well find themselves added in the future.

Steve Farrell should be included based purely on the act of riding to the front of the Russian train riding the bunch into the gutter and offering Ekimov a crisp from an open crisp packet.
  • Was that in the past 50 years?

Ah I see. It's a celebration of British Cycling, rather than British cycling.

Cheers, Andy
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Percy Vera wrote:
    He doesn't need to be on there
    He NEVER wastes an opportunity to tell people how good he was :wink:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Percy Vera wrote:

Earlier in the thread someone listed the winners so it might be eassier to check the list than just ask random questions!!

From what I understand there will be future additions to the HoF so anyone who missed out like Curran could well find themselves added in the future.

Steve Farrell should be included based purely on the act of riding to the front of the Russian train riding the bunch into the gutter and offering Ekimov a crisp from an open crisp packet.

The question mark was meant as a 'why?' along with the confused icon - sorry for the confusion
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Elliot retired from proper international racing a while ago. I think the article on the BC website explains this.
    The organisers of the Tour of Ireland will be disappointed to read that
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I thought Hoy was going to have a final go in London 2012, but he's on the list so must have retired.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Timoid. wrote:
    I thought Hoy was going to have a final go in London 2012, but he's on the list so must have retired.

No he isn't (on the list)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Ok. I thought the Beeb said he was. Maybe they were just pointing out that he was there for the free beer and finger food.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Sorry I also don't understand why Reg Harris isn't there - do the achievemnts have to be from the last 50 years? Even then Harris was British champ 7 years after Simpson died....He's also the only cyclist my father in law has heard of.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Reg Harris' best years were more than 50 years ago, but he did win the British Championship at 54 within that time. Surely that, in context, should get him in?
  • Reg Harris was Brtish champion in 1974 at the age of 54.
  • Hi

The reverence in British cycling towards Tom Simpson puzzles me. I mean he did achieve a lot in cycling - but at the same time he was using PED's.

Am i judging him unfairly as a victim of the time he was racing in?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Hi

The reverence in British cycling towards Tom Simpson puzzles me. I mean he did achieve a lot in cycling - but at the same time he was using PED's.

A bit perhaps, everyone was using them. PEDs in those days though didn't give anywhere near the same advantages that they do today. Morall, however, there is no difference.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I woudl have thought that Vin Denson, as the only English winner of a Giro D'Italia stage,might have got a look in too.

To be honest, I haven't heard of half of them.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Hi

What do you think of Fausto Coppi? Or Jacques Anquetil?

Simpson was a creature of his time. He was no worse, in this respect, than most of his contemporaries, but no better either. But he could have chosen another course. LeMond did, Charly Mottet too, more recently Philippe Gilbert.

PED's in Simpson's days would have been steroids and amphetamines. The latter don't put any more in the tank, but alow you to get closer to the bottom of the tank. Gino Bartali was adamant that he didn't dope, (Fotheringham's book about Coppi suggests that, as he drank up to 28 espressi a day, he wouldn't need speed :wink: ), maybe Simpson should have tried Il Pio's method.

Interestingly, l'intramontabile lived into his 80's, whereas Coppi (OK, malaria in his case) Anquetil and Simpson all died young.

I admire Coppi et al, but not as much as I admire Bartali, LeMond, Mottet or Gilbert.