Wet or dry lube???

giantphil
giantphil Posts: 9
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I have just got back on my MTB again after a few years absence and enjoying the thrill again but lots of things have changed. One thing that confuses me is 'Lube'. In my day you soaked your chain in paraffin overnight and coated it in '3in1' oil which seemed to do the trick. Now, there's wet lube,dry lube, spray wet and dry lube and wet and dry lube in a bottle. When do I used what where?

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    generallly speaking....and IMO...

wet lube in winter....will need cleaning and relubing regularly

dry lube in summer...doesn't attract as much dust as the wet lube so a quick wipe is often cleaning enough,

other folk will do different things...but this is what I do.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    cee wrote:

dry lube in summer...doesn't attract as much dust as the wet lube so a quick wipe is often cleaning enough,

+1
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Personally 'Finish Line Cross Country' (wet) all year round, but then I'm anal and love degreasing my chain regularly.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    cee wrote:

+1

In theory +1 again, but in practice I tend to just use (Finish Line) wet all year round.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    http://www.green-oil.net/

Used all year round, no complaints. I apply it using a toothbrush, that way it gets in between the rollers where it's most needed without dribbling loads everywhere.

GT85 is OK for short rides in dry weather but it's mostly solvent, which evaporates. Still better than WD40 though, which is a penetrant/degreaser and not a lubricant suitable for bicycle chains.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    MrChuck wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    cee wrote:

+1

In theory +1 again, but in practice I tend to just use (Finish Line) wet all year round.

+1 finish line wet lube all year round.
  • My Wipperman chain came with the advice that in winter you should use a good wet-lube and then a wax lube over the top of that to stop the crud building up on the wet stuff. I do that. In summer, I may go wax-only.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Mix them 50/50 and you get 'Moist Lube'. Perfect year round compromise..
    :wink:
    My Wipperman chain came with the advice that in winter you should use a good wet-lube and then a wax lube over the top of that to stop the crud building up on the wet stuff.

Interesting advice, might try that. Cheers.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    don_don wrote:
    Mix them 50/50 and you get 'Moist Lube'. Perfect year round compromise..
    My Wipperman chain came with the advice that in winter you should use a good wet-lube and then a wax lube over the top of that to stop the crud building up on the wet stuff.

Interesting advice, might try that. Cheers.

Dude I thought you was like "dead" or at least in the witness protection scheme ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    My Wipperman chain came with the advice that in winter you should use a good wet-lube and then a wax lube over the top of that to stop the crud building up on the wet stuff. I do that. In summer, I may go wax-only.

Hmmm... But wax lube is carried in a solvent so when you applied the wax lube the solvent would wash away the wet lube before allowing the wax to settle.

Or so I would have thought, but I guess Wipperman are a big company and they must have done their research before publishing advice like that. After all, what could they (a chain manufacturing company) possibly stand to gain from their customers' chains wearing out prematur... Oh... Wait...
  • wet lube for when its wet and dry lube for when its dry.

Simples *squeak*
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm baffled as to how you could apply a wax coat on the top of wet lube.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    On a related note, I saw a single speed rider with the worst chain ever this morning. It was ultra-saggy, and had multiple stiff links (and this was visible while he was moving). I told him and he seemed genuinely surprised!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Simon E wrote:
    http://www.green-oil.net/

Used all year round, no complaints. I apply it using a toothbrush, that way it gets in between the rollers where it's most needed without dribbling loads everywhere.

GT85 is OK for short rides in dry weather but it's mostly solvent, which evaporates. Still better than WD40 though, which is a penetrant/degreaser and not a lubricant suitable for bicycle chains.

That is truly an awful website to look at. Products look good though.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    biondino wrote:
    I'm baffled as to how you could apply a wax coat on the top of wet lube.

Baby oil applied liberally, then put your Barbour jacket back on.

Obvious..
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    symo wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    That is truly an awful website to look at. Products look good though.
    Yeah, there are some serious crimes against web design guidelines, if nothing else! :wink:

However, I can't complain about either the oil's effectiveness or its environmental credentials. And it seems I'm not alone (which is nice).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • i thought this post was about a very different topic.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    i thought this post was about a very different topic.....

It is - all the posters have completely misunderstood the topic (except Don Don!) :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......