Bike pedals installed the wrong way!

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I picked up a second hand bike last week; The Look Keo Easy pedals were installed on the wrong side, so the clips were facing the rear! :roll:

I've undone them, and tried reversing them, but the pedal hole on the crank arm isn't accepting them completely. It's extremely hard work about half way in, and I stop with the allen key through fear of doing damage and convince myself it looks cross threaded. They're well greased too.

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You've knacked them. Pedals have a left and right hand thread. You've screwed them in the wrong side and in doing so, you've buggered the threads.
  • furrag
    I didn't do it!

I feared that they each had their own thread and that would be the reason. It brings me to the question though, when the previous owner installed them, how did he get them in the wrong way around? I took them out, and can put them back in the wrong way around, but it's quite easy to do so.
  • Furrag wrote:
    I picked up a second hand bike last week; The Look Keo Easy pedals were installed on the wrong side, so the clips were facing the rear! :roll:

I've undone them, and tried reversing them, but the pedal hole on the crank arm isn't accepting them completely. It's extremely hard work about half way in, and I stop with the allen key through fear of doing damage and convince myself it looks cross threaded. They're well greased too.

Any ideas guys?

Um, I may be wrong but they can only be installed one way, the left hand crank has a LH thread, the right crank a RH one. If the pedals were the wrong way round then the threads (in the cranks) will be b*ggered, if not then you'll have b*ggered them swapping them over.

Edit: written before the last two posts. You're right though, HTF did someone manage to fit a RH pedal in a LH thresd & vice versa!?
    Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are you 100% sure they were fitted incorrectly?

well either way at least one crank arm is now damaged. the threads can be removed and an insert fitted, talk to your LBS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Are you sure they're the wrong way round? Is the mechanism bit at the front or the back of the pedal when they're sitting upright and level?
    More problems but still living....
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Furrag wrote:

Sounds very dodgy. I'd be interested to know whether the individual who provided you the bike could also provide an original sales receipt or some other proof of ownership.

Installing the pedals the wrong way round has basically re-tapped reversed threads into the crank arms. Even if you could re-install the pedals to their proper sides, I reckon the crank arm treads have compromised beyond safe usability. You will need to replace both crank arms but the pedals might still be okay.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Furrag wrote:

The clip (assuming u mean the sprung part) should be at the rear!! The front of the cleat hooks under the front of the pedal and the rear of the cleat clicks unter the clip.

I'd say It's pretty much impossible to fit pedals the wrong way as they have opposite threads and to get a pedal in more than a couple of turns needs some real force, although it sounds like someone's done it!
  • nicklouse wrote:
    are you 100% sure they were fitted incorrectly?

well either way at least one crank arm is now damaged. the threads can be removed and an insert fitted, talk to your LBS.

Yep, your LBS should be able to fit a helicoil to sort it out. Bit of faff and expense but better than having to replace your cranks.
    As to how they got fitted incorrectly in the first place, brute force and ignorance...
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • furrag
    schweiz wrote:
    The clip (assuming u mean the sprung part) should be at the rear!! The front of the cleat hooks under the front of the pedal and the rear of the cleat clicks unter the clip.
    !
    Before I went to buy new pedals, I thought I'd have a look at an image of clipless pedals on a shoe. I simply assumed that they went in the clip front first due to the shape of the cleats on the shoe. It just goes to show that I've avoided clipless so ardently I'm highly ignorant of them.

Needless to say I walk away, head hung in shame, and will return under a new username as there's no redemption from here. I'm such a stroker! :oops: :lol:

Thank you all for taking your time to reply, and I apologise profusely! Egg truly upon my face! :oops:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Furrag wrote:

as has been pointed out - the clips are supposed to be facing the rear - and if that is what you mean then the pedals were not on the wrong way.

if you have since tried to re-fit them incorrectly, you will have mashed the threads on the crank arms....
  • I bet the original owner had the pedals fitted to the bike at Halfords
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I bet the original owner had the pedals fitted to the bike at Halfords

Why? Because they were fitted correctly? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    It is impossible to screw a pedal fully home on the wrong crank. Something is wrong somewhere.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,491
    hodsgod wrote:
    It is impossible to screw a pedal fully home on the wrong crank. Something is wrong somewhere.

Yep, as the OP admits - they were the right way to start but he thought they should be the other way around!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Epic thread and good on the OP for admitting his mistake :P Stick around fella, we like people who can take a bit of banter :)
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Pross wrote:
    hodsgod wrote:

Yep, as the OP admits - they were the right way to start but he thought they should be the other way around!

Sorry, must have missed that.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Best thread this year :D
    Was the saddle facing the correct way ? 8)
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Did you take the bike into your LBS to find this out? I would have paid good money to be a fly on the wall!!!!! Message board hero status has just been earned I reckon!! :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Furrag, you are truly a top bloke for fessing up. I must admit when I read the first few posts I thought the bike seller must have had forearms like an olympic sprinter's legs because of the force it would take to cross-thread both pedals. Having read the last few posts makes me wonder if I would have come up with some nonsense excuse whilst hoping that it all died away quietly.

Still, Oldwelshman gets my vote for the best pun of 2010 (so far).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you only screwed the pedals one or two turns the wrong way you may be able to screw in the pedals from the other side of the crank to re-thread them. Alternatively, your LBS should have a set of pedal taps to recut them properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • furrag
    :lol:

After I realised I was mistaken, they went straight back on [the original and correct way] to bring an end to the whole Frank Spencer-esque affair. I've been riding this afternoon and have been fine with them clipping in and out and am yet to fall. I do clip out quite aggressively though and can envisage myself kicking someones car door in.

Maybe one day when I have enough 'forum cred' to not further dent my reputation, I'll reveal the story about being gazumped by Presta valves and the inner tube which wouldn't inflate because I thought it was a dud... :lol:

The long and short is the technicalities of road biking is a different kettle of fish to my experience of downhill biking!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    :lol:

You'll be telling us all you fitted Shimano next! How we'll laugh. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • see you on the road buddy :lol:

20060903_STAGE6_02.JPG
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Shall we all share our mechanical bloopers then?

Did some routine maintenance on my bike a few weeks ago, which involved taking the back wheel off. While it was off I gave it a quick check over, felt the axle for looseness (I'd not long serviced the hubs). Straight away it felt loose and rattly. Oh dear. Where's me cone spanners? I set about adjusting the hub, tightening it very slightly and checking again, but no it would still move side-to-side despite it getting tight to rotate.

What have I done? Are the bearings shot already?

Bing! Lightbulb moment. It was the quick release skewer that was loose, not the axle :oops:
  • I had an old Marin resprayed and chucked the original headset. ordered a new stx one but it wouldnt fit. hmmmm thinks me, i need one with a lower stack height. order a ritchey logic from ebay America and no joy still.

lightbulb moment...when i sent the frame and fork to the sprayshop I didnt remove the bottom race. Once this was gone it all worked dohhhh
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Surely everybody's put cranks back on both facing the same way, or at 90 degrees. No? Just me then. And, more than once...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well I have not got a mechanical blooper to own up to, but on slight different subject, I asked my wife to call garden centre for cost of turf pfr a new lawn, she was quoted as 50p/metre (was a while ago) she then proceeded asked them was that the price with or without the grass on top !!! I made sure I was out cycling when they delivered !!
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    "I'm riding backwards for christmas"... Brilliant,... trust me it won't be you last learning curve mate...

I still am making em... latest was -
    Now I,m off to wilkinsons to find a 15 mm wide small screw driver to tighten my chainring bolts up... What do you mean there's a special tool??
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Double post... See still doing it!
  • better than the 90 deg mistake, fitted a 45 deg crank opposite a 90 deg one, hmmmm 135 crank arms! Kinda weird to ride though.