Hit some one on bike.

BOYDIE
BOYDIE Posts: 528
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I was on my way to work tonight and a group of teenagers were messing about on the cycle path,I was about to pass them when they tried to block my way and I hit one of them with my right arm and shoulder,knocked him over winded him I think.
I got a bit of abuse,but told him it was his fault and just rode on to work or stay and get more abuse.

Where do I stand when something like this happens? :?:

Comments

• I think, that you stand on your bike and he lies on the floor. :D

I'd have done the same, ridden off. Not worth the agro. Maybe go a different way home for the next few nights though...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • BOYDIE
    I think Iwill just amazes me that some one thinks its ok to jump infront of a bike then moan when I hit them.Im just worried that the police might get involved?
  • Tall!

But be on the watch out for them next time in case he was the alpha-wânker and needs vengeance for his pitiful status.
  • BOYDIE
    Ill keep a low profile for the next while there are many routes to work,shame what the world is coming to. :roll:
  • I am guessing but is it worth going to the Police first and reporting that you were attacked but managed to fend off the assailant and (in 2 wheeled fashion) legged it?

At least that way if the idiot tries to be clever and report you then you have got something in first?
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • Did you tell them your name? Did they get a registration number? I wouldnt worry about the Police, but I would be wary of further confrontation. Remember the 'D' Lock...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • I'd avoid that route for a couple of weeks.
    I'd also report to Police, as a defensive move.

THe kind of @rse who thinks it's OK to jump at / block you is likely to be the kind that bears a grudge, knows his rights and would jump at the chance to make a quick buck on your behalf.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'd expect these scrotes are already known to the police (so them reporting you will achieve nothing)

As mentioned tell the fuzz what happened as next time it could be a woman on her own and she might not get away

using that kind of implication should ensure they at least look into it a little as their behaviour was quite intimidatory
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I had something similar around November time, although I didn't have the pleasure of knocking the little chav to the ground. Half-a-dozen of them on a dark cycle path away from the roads - they looked a little dodgy from a distance and, as I got closer, they spread out so they were blocking my path. I shouted that I wasn't stopping and aimed for a gap and one of them swung a punch at me as I went past, which didn't really connect.

I made a point of reporting it to the Police when I got home and they confirmed they'd had a few calls about this group and a police car had been sent but the kids had gone by then. I was a little uncomfortable that my shout that I wasn't stopping had echoes of this case but there was no way I was going to stop and have the little sods give me a kicking and nick my bike.

I avoided that route for a few weeks and haven't seen the kids since.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I had something similar around November time, although I didn't have the pleasure of knocking the little chav to the ground. Half-a-dozen of them on a dark cycle path away from the roads - they looked a little dodgy from a distance and, as I got closer, they spread out so they were blocking my path. I shouted that I wasn't stopping and aimed for a gap and one of them swung a punch at me as I went past, which didn't really connect.

I made a point of reporting it to the Police when I got home and they confirmed they'd had a few calls about this group and a police car had been sent but the kids had gone by then. I was a little uncomfortable that my shout that I wasn't stopping had echoes of this case but there was no way I was going to stop and have the little sods give me a kicking and nick my bike.

I avoided that route for a few weeks and haven't seen the kids since.

Wouldn't suprise me if the police just told you that to get you off the phone..;-)
  • something similar happened to me 3 weeks ago when i was cycling home after a game of football, the different was that it was on a well-lited quiet road. :shock:

saw them from a distance (a guy standing in the middle of the road, 2 girls in the middle of my lane and one on the pavement at the time) and the one in the middle of the road already shout abuse to another cyclist coming down the hill for not stopping for them to cross.
    i passed behind the girls and received some abuses as expected. then realised there is a random shadow on the ground (like someone waving), i turned round i saw one of them (the one was on the pavement) was chasing me so i shout out to ask them to leave me alone (even said "please") but the guy still chasing, luckily it was the end of the hill and getting flat-er so i can speed up and legged it.

if i stop (for any reason), i will get a punch in my face + getting my bike nicked
    if he caught me up, i will also get a punch in my face/knock off the bike + getting my bike nicked

so i told my chances to leg it cost it doesn't worth it.

it was a surprising enjoyable ride after a game of football (which i thought would be too tired to cycle home since its mostly up hill) and this chavs have to ruined it.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • i shudder at things like this, especially as the scum are particularly vindictive (spelling?). Def go a diff route home for a while...i remember reading somewhere about some scum who put wire across the known bike route of someone they wanted to harm - very sick!
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • why are people so scared of there own shadow in this country. lets not say anything to the chavs ? what happened to force in numbers a sence of unity. Would the rest of Europe put up with this :? :?
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I had a group of youths come at me and my mate once in the park whilst we were on bikes. They surrounded us and one of them tried to punch me in my head... i was wearing a helmet, what a tool, so his hand was hurting and he was also standing over my front wheel. i lifted the handle bars up and hit him square in the balls. my mate kicked another one in the groin and we rode away... one of them tried to jump in front of my mate, he brushed him of. the guy lost his balance in front of me and i rode over him....

HAHAHA little f***ers didn't get away lightly with that one!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    slmracing wrote:
    why are people so scared of there own shadow in this country. lets not say anything to the chavs ? what happened to force in numbers a sence of unity. Would the rest of Europe put up with this :? :?

Adults in the rest of Europe talk to other people's children. They don't grow up to be Lord-of-the-Flies-esque chavs.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    I'm guessing that it was the cycle path into Woodside that the group of youths had congregated on!!
    If so I would have done the same as you Boydie - not because it was that area - but just that it would maybe teach them a small lesson about common courtesy and common sense. After all, would they just stand in front of a moving car??? 15 stones (me) at 15-20 mph is gonna hurt whatever it hits :evil: :lol:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I used to live in Germany and was riding an old MTB one time with my son. A group of teenagers were playing with a large remote controlled car and as I approached (quite slowly) I gave polite notice that I was there. The 'driver' purposely aimed the car straight at me, so I rode right over it and kept on going. :lol:

As has been mentioned, go home a different way and keep an eye open...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Ive had this a few times in the middle of the day, school holidays are a joke for things like this

I just speed up and tell them to grow up and get out of the way,

when people step out at a crossing on me when lights on green, i just ask them if they would do that if it was a car!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    slmracing wrote:
    why are people so scared of there own shadow in this country. lets not say anything to the chavs ? what happened to force in numbers a sence of unity. Would the rest of Europe put up with this :? :?

that's what they have they're a group, the OP was an individual. I'm sensing you advocating vigilantism?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    slmracing wrote:

Adults in the rest of Europe talk to other people's children. They don't grow up to be Lord-of-the-Flies-esque chavs.

What an idealised world you 2 seem to live in. So if confronted, alone with a small group of 5 or 6 chavs behaving aggressively on a quiet cycle lane you would stop and stand up to them? Good luck to you! I'm with everyone else here, accelerate and ride through them, hopefully causing as much injury to them as possible...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Actually, OP, have you thought about installing Bodicea like blades to the hubs of your wheels and then doing the same route? Chop the little runts' legs off...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I wouldn't mind doing some night off road near me, but the two main routes into the hills (other than driving) are down the canal, or along the Trans Pennine. Both fine during the day, but at night the chavs seem to congregate....cyclist on own vs 5 or more teenagers...got no chance.

Never had trouble on the commute.
  • The last time a bunch of oiks tried the try and block the road thing to me, I just aimed for the smallest one and started accelerating. When that one started to look a bit panicky and tried to suffle out of the way I adusted course towards him again, still accelerating.
    Which made him dive for the side of the road leaving a nice gap to fly thru :D

it does help that I'm tall heafty fella mind...
  • BOYDIE
    Just a wee update for you,I spoke to a police officer friend of mine,his words not mine,

"Its his fault,I think he will think twice about jumping in front of a bike again,hope you hurt the little knob,we would tell him the same if he tried to report it as an offence".

Ive not seen the same group again,and to GS3 it was the cycle path going through Tans hall.I was heading down towards the viaduct at Cabbagehall.

Cheers for the support.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Your mate obviously has some common sense, but I'm assuming it wasn't him that tried to do someone for blowing their nose while sitting in a traffic jam.

Just saying, like.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    slmracing wrote:

What an idealised world you 2 seem to live in. So if confronted, alone with a small group of 5 or 6 chavs behaving aggressively on a quiet cycle lane you would stop and stand up to them? Good luck to you! I'm with everyone else here, accelerate and ride through them, hopefully causing as much injury to them as possible...

Society talks to them before they become disenfranchised chavs.