Solving Potholes

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Potholes, I fecking hate them.

As I hit one this morning and past several, usually appearing in the same spot each year I got to thinking.

Haven't we developed enough on a technological level to solve the pot hole problem or at least produce a tarmac/asphalt mixture that better withstands the creation of potholes? Re-laying the road every year I just don't see as being cost or time effective and then you have to think about the disruptions road works to fill the pot hole causes - and it does.

Also when are they ever going to lay a new surface down on the road that runs past Waterloo tube around the Imax and up to Waterloo bridge? Need a fecking mountain if it gets any worse...
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Pot holes + road bike = bad
    Pot holes + MTB = bunny hopping fun

However smooth roads + road bike = fast
    Smooth roads + MTB = frustrating (slow)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I grew up on a road that turned into a proper country lane a few hundred yards further down - you know the sort of thing, very narrow, sharp bends, high hedges either side. Pretty much every winter, the surface would completely disintegrate into a mass of gravel and mud, and every year it was patched up with a quick spray of bitumen and another layer of chippings.

I think it's mainly about drainage - getting water off the road so that it doesn't get a chance to break up the surface with freeze-thaw - rather than a new type of tarmac. Also, most urban roads just aren't built to withstand the damage that buses (with their high rate of acceleration and braking) and HGVs cause. Can't really see a way around that problem though, other than lighter buses.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I live on a back road, off an unclassified road, off a B road. The potholes in the road outside my house were filled in last week. However, when I egt into the town (Inverness) the streets are strewn with bomb craters. What is going on?

-Spider-
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited February 2010
    Potholes are God's way of telling you to ride a CX bike :wink:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The way to solve potholes is to resurface the roads properly, not this filling up gaps or using loose chippings business like if it was Kenya.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • vorsprung wrote:

East Lothian council bought one of those machines a couple of years back to much trumpeting. Guess what? We still have loads of potholes, and those that get filled still open up again in a matter of weeks. Re-surfacing is expensive if done right, but the only real solution. Shame they never bother to do things right.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I reported a big hole the other day on the council website and it`s now been filled in. Result.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • the only solution is to build the roads properly and ensure they are always restored to the proper state after service works.

They have laid a new gas main down woodstock road in oxford, finished maybe a month ago, and because the monkeys did a slapshod, cheap as chips job on the repair there is now a large crack opening up the length of the road, it's about 1/2 mile long and an inch wide.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Problem is that there are two sorts of fixes - the winter quick fix compound does the job but isn't robust enough to last for long, but it fixes the more immediate problems quickly. The proper stuff only works properly in the summer as it needs to be applied at more than winter temperatures (or maybe the navvies won't work outside for long enough when it's cold), hence we get the quick fix solutions around this time of year that don't provide a proper long-term fix and the long-term solution doesn't get used as the problems tend not to resurface [geddit?? :)] until next winter comes around.

This is my understanding of why some road repair compounds don't last. Don't bother jumping down my throat if it turns out to be a tissue of lies or is somewhat wide of the mark.
  • The pothole situation is ridiculous. I suspect that most repairs are carried out by a maintenance department that isn't really looking beyond the current finacial year when doing the repairs. I.E Will it fill (I won't use the word fix!) the hole and possibly last until next year?

One huge crater in a local bus lane was filled in about 2 weeks ago and has now returned to it's former crater like glory despite us having no freezing weather since! This particular ne is right at the end of the line near the stop line so unless you know it's there you really can come un-stuck as the buses waiting in the queue cover it perfectly! To top it off in breaking up it's scattered loads of small stones all over the lane which makes avoiding it on my road bike interesting to say the least :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • the problem is money. which is further compounded by large amounts of traffic.

this means once a road starts to fail it rapidly disintigrates.

There are much much worse roads back in wales but they have almost zero traffic so the road takes years and years to degrade. some of the lanes I've never known them be repaired.

roads are a easy target for cuts as traffic is mostly fine.
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    pomtarr wrote:

I used to use this site a lot. But there are too many potholes now.
  • Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've just spent 2 1/2 weeks driving up and down the west coast of Auz and the one thing that stood out was just how good the roads are, now they have road trains and 4x4 banging up and down day and night and temps that regularly reach mid 40s and still they're better than most indoor tracks, HOW?!?

Because that use a hard wearing material which costs more initially but lasts and lasts - duh! like it take a genius to work that out!

CTC mag had a good article on just how much money is currently ear marked for cycle projects, well how about spending a fraction of that on repairing the roads.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    and another thing given how pants London roads are and they are! would it be better to rides big fat tyres or normal slicks?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    CTC mag had a good article on just how much money is currently ear marked for cycle projects, well how about spending a fraction of that on repairing the roads.

I know how to solve the problem! Lets start taxing road users.........but as bikes don't actually cause any damage to the road we're exempt :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Don't think WA has quite as much freeze/thaw action as we've been getting over the last couple of months...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Agent57 wrote:

Jetpatcher - perfect Christmas gift for the serial killer who has everything!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    I had to take my bike down to my work LBS today to have both wheels straightened - noticed on the way in this morning that the rear was rubbing against the frame. Diagnosed as likely pothole strikes :( And that's on hybrid wheels with 700cx37 tyres....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]