I now remember why I ride with glasses

Flasheart
Flasheart Posts: 1,278
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Yesterdays rain. I've not actually ridden my road bike in heavy rain before. I suppose it was a combination of a. fair weather cyclist & b. been lucky that its not p***ed down when I've been out .
Yesterday I knew it would rain but I'm determined to get my fitness back after the lousy weather we had stopped my regular riding. I packed my Montane jacket into my jersey and headed out. I reckon I got 5 miles before it started spitting. I pulled over 5 miles later when it got heavier and begrudgingly put my jacket on. Just in time it seemed, the heavens opened.
I got the other side of the village (Burley) and the raid was so heavy my cycling glasses needed their own set of wipers as I could barely see. I started a descent and got up to 35mph and the rain was stinging my face like 100's of needles. I doubt very much if I could have kept my eyes open without my glasses on. Then a car overtook me and managed to pick up a handful of stones and shoot them my way at head height. I now have a nice scratch over my rh lense but I kept my eye. I'm glad I decided not to take them off when the rain started 8)

and the guy in the baggies and yellow and black top ...jeez you were moving when you overtook me at 25mph well done
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
FCN3
http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Helmet, glasses, gloves. I won't ride without them regardless of the weather.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    GiantMike wrote:

+ 1
  • GiantMike wrote:

+21

I had laser surgery a few years ago, so do wear glasses to protect my eyes from flying debris, leaves, flies, mud, half empty cans... kinda ironic, surgery to lose the glasses, only to need glasses!
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I find glasses a PITA when it rains because the rain just sticks to them and stops me from seeing. I hear various home remedies to prevent this but haven't got round to it yet. Use a peaked cap under the helmet to keep the rain off the glasses when I know it's going to be raining but sometimes get caught short without the hat.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Yeah, never got on with glasses myself.

They are useful, but I now ride in all weather without them.
  • I wore aviators today 8) but bigger!