Superstar Pads

Eranu
Eranu Posts: 712
edited February 2010 in MTB general
The superstar pads for my Formula's are a tad 'porky', fitting them was a bit of a faff as I had to file them down so they that fitted.

My question is does anyone know if the Kevlar or Sintered versions are less 'porky' so I don't have to spend time faffing about to get them to fit?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i belive that you have just not pushed the pistons back far enough.

I would be interested if someone could take a measurement of the two pads together as a sandwich as i would like to compare to some standard ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Eranu
    They are definately fatter, well compared to the pair of Swisstop ones I compared them to.

As for the pistons, I push them in as far as I could. I'll take a look in the morning but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go any further in. If they aren't right in, I assume I need to get some fluid out of the system?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My XT ones are fatter than standard XTR ones, but I think the XTR ones are deliberately made thin so they're .00001g lighter :?

Nick, I can do that, I think I've got an unused set of XT M770 SS kevlars in the garage if that's any use?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i found my avid ones to be a bit of a faff to fit as well, they didn't fit the pistons as well as the stock ones... oh well, they work.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yeah, I think the Avid SS pads are a tad thicker than the Avid ones. I think the backing plate is thicker.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The Superstars are definitely a bit fatter than standard Formula pads, but mine fitted ok. Once you take the old pads out, you can push the pistons right back so they're flush with the surrounding bit of the caliper body. Re align them and they should be ok.
  • Eranu
    Not had a chance to look this morning and now I've got to drive to the grim north for the rest of the week :( On the bright side I shal be having a nice curry in Akbars tonight :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i find some of the superstar pads are a bit wide and need the sides of the backing plate filed down to let them sit in the pad recess....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Is that Akbars in York?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Eranu
    No Leeds this week.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have found the sintered SS pads are slightly thicker but never had any problem with the resin or kevlar
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap