Snow,ice more snow more ice .........

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I've had enough, tomorrow at 5:20 am I'll be asking Mr Bus driver for a weeks pass. :roll:

This weather started 2 months ago and I've just taken a look at the forecast for the next 3 weeks and temps range between 5 degrees and minus 5 degrees.

I no longer want to be cold :shock: , roll on April.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• Southern jessie.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    British winter, should be +10 by now. :P

I do hope all the people who complain that we never get a "proper winter" are happy. For me I say roll on summer.

..and to the op, stop being so nesh :twisted:
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Leave the road bike in the warm, and get the MTB out to play :lol:

I suppose it helps that there is no dorect bus for me though. Would probabaly take an hour by bus, or 30 min on the bike in these conditions.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Took the dog for a walk this morning -10C. Took the car to work.

-Spider-
  • -15C this morning, took public transport, train broke down and had to switch, ran to make the bus only for it to turn up 10 minutes late. Should get up to -7C by Thursday, then I'll ride again.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I just hate the ice on the roads for my commute, I don't like falling over and I am so good at it (not in controlled ways, more painful then that).

I don't mind the cold, being built ursine style is good for that, but the falling off I don't like as it damages my poor little bike. So I admit to bus again today, and might do more this week if the ice doesn't clear well.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Between zero and -5C all last week in the moring commute, evening was balmy being between 0 and +4C. Thinking about switching to shorts when the morning ride is above zero.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    hisoka wrote:
    I just hate the ice on the roads for my commute, I don't like falling over and I am so good at it (not in controlled ways, more painful then that).

I don't mind the cold, being built ursine style is good for that, but the falling off I don't like as it damages my poor little bike. So I admit to bus again today, and might do more this week if the ice doesn't clear well.

Dude, what's your route? Mine from Gunthorpe way has been doable other than a couple of days, you out in the wilds?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Must admit I'm getting sick of the cold and ICE. Even been cheating with studded tyres on the MTB just in case, but they are slow, so decided to walk the road bike to the main road this morning.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    A guy at work fell off on friday morning on some black ice, broke his arm in two places :shock:

careful out there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wish I'd ridden this morning (wet snow).
    The car electrics got swamped by standing water, engine died when I joined an uphill queue of traffic. Hairy moments inching the car back under gravity to the slip road 50m back, when the gaps permitted.
    Helped another unfortunate change a wheel on the slip road - must be karma because when I got back to mine, it had dried out and started again.
    But all told, a crappy drive in. Back on two wheels tomorrow.

Winter = cold, summer = warm. Call me old-fashioned but that's how I like it
    :)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • With the right kit I actually Iike the snow as it stops the traffic but not me :lol: overtaking cars down the center of the road all the way to work, even on the up hill bits. Gives me alot of satisfaction. 8)
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Aguila wrote:
    hisoka wrote:

Dude, what's your route? Mine from Gunthorpe way has been doable other than a couple of days, you out in the wilds?

Actually not in the wilds, Mapperly Park to Wollaton (yeah only a 15 min hope really). But my first roads a steep think slopes, not very long but about 300 metres of pure ice yesterday morning. Today was better but still not sure about biking it as nearly went over even walking.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Southern jessie.

+1 :lol: Not missed a day yet this year due to weather - SCS simply won't allow it.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Not a happy day today. sick to death of winter, snow ice droplets and the wind slashing them into my face.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rolf F wrote:
    Southern jessie.

+1 :lol: Not missed a day yet this year due to weather - SCS simply won't allow it.....

How very true. Conditions would have to be apocalyptic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    AndyManc wrote:
    I've had enough, tomorrow at 5:20 am I'll be asking Mr Bus driver for a weeks pass. :roll:

This weather started 2 months ago and I've just taken a look at the forecast for the next 3 weeks and temps range between 5 degrees and minus 5 degrees.

I am the same - i keep getting started, then sheets of ice - back to the car. Cobblers to it ! - I lost what little fitness I had - will wait for the warmer weather.

Midlands Jessie !
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I expected to wake up to a slight dusting of snow this morning. Instead we have a good centimeter plus and it's blowing a gale.

Will it ever end :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was very very pleased with myself this morning as I drove to the station, it was pouring down and freezing cold, I ask you what kind of nutter would be out cycling in that weather?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    kingrollo wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

I am the same - i keep getting started, then sheets of ice - back to the car. Cobblers to it ! - I lost what little fitness I had - will wait for the warmer weather.

Midlands Jessie !

Correct , there's a difference between being a cycling enthusiast and a f******* idiot (only just).

I have no objection to cycling the odd week or two of bad weather but when it's day after day for months, then, if you have the option, giving it a rest is a good idea, if you don't , an enjoyable activity could well turn into something you resent, those of us that are on the road at 5am will understand.

Not far off double figures today (temperature wise), staying light till 6pm, shorts cant be far off :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I was sans bike today thanks to meetings. Secretly a little relieved as it was raining when I left home and is raining again now as I'm about to head home. Getting very bored of being drenched on the bike, especially in the dark on busy London roads.
  • Looking forward to next weeks riding. Forecast is for sun all wek and it gets as warm as -1!

-13 tomorrow though. Boo hiss.
  • Mickey Eye wrote:
    Looking forward to next weeks riding. Forecast is for sun all wek and it gets as warm as -1!

-13 tomorrow though. Boo hiss.

-1? toasty!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Apart from the 1st 2 weeks this year i have cycled every day , in the last week that has included 2 blizzards.
    Come out of work and it is noticeably warmer and had to take my windproof off, the sun was out and i started to remember why i enjoy commuting :D
    FCN 3/5/9
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Have yet to take a day off from the bike on the way to work; blizzards, ice, rain bring it on.