aero bikes

Team Banana Spokesman
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
look at this pic: http://web.archive.org/web/200302070428 ... irflow.jpg

bike tubing is mostly C
aero bike and tt bikes are b

why dont you get bikes with A or shapes even better than A?

heres a slightly aero wheel: http://web.archive.org/web/200302070428 ... rflow1.jpg

why do no aero wheels have a true 'V' shape to be the most aero? its always a rounded 'U'

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    3:1 rule
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • just read about teh rule.

I dont race.

a bike with better tubes could = 50-150W saved. do no bike manufacturers just want to make a fast-as-fcuk bike for non racers??

dont know why the rule exists actually.

a few things break the 3:1 rule: chainrings being 1
  • redddraggon
    chainrings don't breaking the rule because they are rotating component like wheels.

Why would someone buy a TT bike if they don't race? I know most riders won't be affected by UCI rules - CTT/Trianthelopes

If you can save 50-150W by using different tube shapes on your frame, perhaps you should be a Pro. % saved due to frame tube shapes is low compared to postion, clothing/helmet and wheels.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    aerosavingsvelonewsbuye.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Does this make aero bikes overrated? :lol:

The evidence is there, supplied by redddraggon.

Some people say the 3:1 rule kills the development of aero technology. My personal opinion is that when it comes to it, bikes still need to be bikes. The rules keep bikes looking like bikes. TT rigs are great to look at, all those interesting shapes and the different schools of thought. But if there were no rules TT rigs would start becoming things that don't really resemble the humble bicycle.

Clothing and the stuff you hang on your bike is where it's at.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Plus road racing is less to do with aerodynamics and more to do with tactics.

For starters - you can draft in road racing so there's less use for an aero frame to save energy when you can just sit behind someone else.

I'm not sure about this, but does the 3:1 rule apply to road bikes aswell as TT bikes?
  • redddraggon
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Does this make aero bikes overrated? :lol:

Accumulation of small improvements can make a big difference. Probably best to start at the top savings, rather than the bottom.

3:1 rule will apply to road bikes too,
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I was only havin a laugh redddraggon :)

Makes sense though. Start with the skin suit....
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I dont race.
    You said you've done loads of TTs in another thread.

That table looks suspect red, changing a 24 spoke front to a 5 spoke saves you less time than changing a disc (!) to a 3 spoke ?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You've got to laugh really, I was out with a mate and his new Cervelo S3 with all it's beautiful aero details including an aero down tube and I was thinking that the 800ml drinks bottle in the cage really makes it all pretty pointless.
  • Aero legs would be a good idea. Perhaps someone can design an aerodynamic attachement for calves. Should get rid of turbulence coming off the lower leg. :-)
    Summer - Cannondale Six Ultegra
    Winter - Condor Bivio - cyclocross bike for commuting, cycle paths & rainy days - brilliant

LBS - Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick - Simply the best LBS
    Stolen - 2001 Specialized Allez Elite :-(
  • Aero legs would be a good idea. Perhaps someone can design an aerodynamic attachement for calves. Should get rid of turbulence coming off the lower leg. :-)

Already been done.
  • Rats... all the best ideas Grrrrrrr. ;-)
    Summer - Cannondale Six Ultegra
    Winter - Condor Bivio - cyclocross bike for commuting, cycle paths & rainy days - brilliant

LBS - Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick - Simply the best LBS
    Stolen - 2001 Specialized Allez Elite :-(