Gary Fisher Reviews

Ramjam
Ramjam Posts: 7
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Can anyone explain why there never seems to be any tests or reviews of Gary Fisher bikes? They seem to be left out of most tests I have seen in the past year. Are they simply no good or do they not pay enough attention to the goodie bags given to the magazines to get their products on review :wink: ? I was looking at a Big Sur but the only review I could find was from the model a few years ago, whereas a similar Specialized, say Rockhopper seems to be tested and reviewed every week.

Don't get me wrong, I like Specialized bikes, I have owned one model or another for the past 13 years, but why the imbalance in testing/reviews?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited February 2010
    Just a few here ok some need info adding for the 2010 bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What Mountain Bike has reviewed:

Tarpon 08
    Wahoo 08
    Wahoo Disc 10
    Marlin Disc 09
    Hookooeekoo 09
    Superfly 10
    Roscoe 3 09

MBUK have reviewed others.

Not sure they import all models into UK anymore.
  • Thanks Gents, any views on the Big Sur '09 or '10?
  • I guess that you will see less and less Gary Fisher reviews in the future here in the UK as GF has gone to all 29er's leaving Trek (sister company) staying with the 26er market.

Of course the mags will mainly review the mass market 26ers, but I love my 29er Rumblefish if that helps.
  • Gary fishers tend to have a good spec and frame compared to other non budget brands, I sell a fair amount of Fishers because of this. Geometry is a bit different to many other brands you might want to go one size down. We have sold a Big Sur this year and the customer loves it so far, quite a decent spec for the cash (FOX forks!)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have the 09 GF Big sur, well did have, just sold it!

It's a cracking bike, and not bad spec for the price, first thing I did though was get rid of the crap tyres and then the wheels, they weighed a ton :lol:

If you want any advice try and get a good test ride. I couldnt get a good ride just a spin around the car park outside the shop. The Genesis and G2 geometery is very marmite, some get on with it and yet others don't. It took me a year to figure out that I couldn't get on with it. Its great for climbing however I found I was always fidgeting around in the saddle trying to find a comfy riding position, I played around with stem height and length and saddle position but to no avail.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • The Hookooekoo and Big Sur have the same frames - The hKEK has been reviewed in WMB and came out very well. (much because of the frame rather than the overall spec)
    Apart from the frame & fork, I dont think the spec is that great. but the frame/fork combo is very good and well worth upgrading.

As mentioned though the geometry is very different from a lot of bikes. Its has a very lively, fast steering, racey set up. I have a 2006 hookooekoo, and if I were upgrading it would be between the big sur, or the top specced Merlin Malt 4 from the melin website. (which has a better spec than the big sur for a similar price.)

I would get a test of it though as some riders dont like the non-neutral set up of the GF geometry.
  • Thats really helpful, thank you. My first post on a Forum and a great result.

I will have to give one a test, particularly in light of the comments about handling and sizing, I am 6'1" so assumed I would need a 19" frame, but better check that!!

I mainly ride typical XC in the South - chalky, flinty bridleways with some wooded singletrack thrown in to keep the grin going. I usually manage a few hours at the weekends with a day ride once or twice a month. The odd trip to a trail centre but not often, only been to Afan once this year and Nevis Red Route at the end of the summer last year. Having ridden an FSR for the past 10 years I like the idea of a more engaging ride and easier pedal up the hills :D Get me off my backside and be first to the top for a change :wink:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I'm 5'10 and bought the 17.5, I think with the geometery I would have got away with the next size up.

You wont be dissapointed with the bike for value and ride, but I cant stress how important it is to try it on for size and get a ride.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.