recomended levers

dmnic3
dmnic3 Posts: 5
edited February 2010 in The workshop
I am thinking of cutting my drop bars and flipping them to create a bull bar and use normal brake levers. i currently have Tektro R538 brakes. any recomendations on which levers i should get?

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    dmnic3 wrote:
    I am thinking of cutting my drop bars and flipping them to create a bull bar and use normal brake levers. i currently have Tektro R538 brakes. any recomendations on which levers i should get?

Can't you just re-use your old drop-bar levers? I did when I flipped & chopped the bars on my winter hack.
    My main motivation was that the drops were bent, setting them up as bulls minimised the impact of this. I kept a useful bit of the vertically-orientated curve and mounted the levers on the end of that, so they follow the bars and sit in easy reach.
    I have three hand-positions with this setup- The straight section for an upright posture, the forward facing horns of the bulls (most riding done here) and hands atop the tips of the bulls, using the end-caps and hoods of the levers for support- this gives me a more stretched position that's a little better into a headwind.

The bike looks the part and the setup is comfortable most of the time. It's better than flat bars, for sure, but I miss the full drop position on occasion. Maybe moustache-bars would be better? Don't know...
    I don't think I'd hack a good set of drops to do this, a proper bull-bar is probably a better option if you can stretch to it, as they have a better shaped grip position and (I think!) longer horns.

Cheers,
    W.