What a weekend !!!!

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Sorry guys, just need to vent a bit

I picked the Acciaio up yesterday from Condor. Again great service and the bike felt much lighter than expected, can't wait to get out on it :lol:

On the other hand my shed was broken into last night :twisted: :twisted: The bastards completely wrecked the door and window, and nicked my sons MTB. Great now I've nowhere to keep the bikes and £2K of MTB is in the possesion of some chavvy little C****

Yep, I've gone from being as happy as anything with the new Condor to pissed off beyond belief, and now I'll have to keep all the bikes in the house

I'm not a happy bunny
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    :( Sorry to hear about the bad news dude.

But at least you've got the new bike now :D
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bad luck, Rich :( . Let's hope they don't have any shards of glass in their hands which get infected.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Bad luck mate.

Will insurance cover the loss?

Also stick a post in the stolen forum on here and keep and eye on ebay.

Stolen bikes (particularly £2k MTBs) stick out like a sore thumb as the thieves tend to be opportunistic bastards who have no idea what they have.

Again, bad luck.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    That sucks :(

Thieves are the lowest form of criminal, and bike thieves the worst sort of thieves.
    I would gladly shove frayed gear cable ends under their fingernails.

Hope the new bike helps console you !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    5h1t dude :shock:

Sorry to hear man
  • Ar$3, bloody thieving gits. I'm angry for you Rich :evil:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    least the new bike wasn't stolen...

Hopefully the mtb is on insurance though?

get a security shed, no windows and better locking clasp
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Ah crap - that's a pain.

Can't you wire the door handle up to the mains?

Or is that illlegal now ......
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Were the bikes chained and locked in the shed?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck mate - thieving c*nts.
  • Rich158
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Were the bikes chained and locked in the shed?

Yep, they used my hacksaw to cut through the chain :twisted: and ripped the shed door in half :shock:

Would you believe they took one mountain bike but left my road bike and the fixie.

To make things worse it was my sons pride and joy, he spent most of last year getting it as he wanted, and is a damn good rider. How bad do I feel now, I've just got my new Condor, and took delivery of a new DH frame that I'm building this week!!!! At least it looks as though we'll get something from the insurance although it won't get close to the full cost. Oh well I guess I can give him my old Ultegra SL groupset to e-bay to raise some extra funds.

The bikes stay in the house from now on
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not surprised they left the roadie, these thieves are thick - think MTB's are the dogs b*llocks and prob have no idea how much roadies can be worth! I'd imagine that moving them inside for the forseeable is the only option as they may well be back for seconds...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Little 5hits

Sorry to hear your news Rich.

This all reminds me I must get a dedicated bike insurance that covers mine for the full cost of replacement.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    So sorry to hear that, Rich.

I keep the two bikes I really can't afford to lose in the house, the rest in the shed.

It's often not the cost which is the main problem (though £2k - ouch), but the fact someone felt they were entitled to help themselves to your stuff. That is a proper invasion of a person.

B*stards
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Not that its much consolation now, but may be of use for others or for future. Good set of articles from Bike Radar on bike shed security:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... rt-1-21131

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... rt-2-21414
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
  • Rich158
    Not that its much consolation now, but may be of use for others or for future. Good set of articles from Bike Radar on bike shed security:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... rt-1-21131

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... rt-2-21414

TBH I'd done most of that, replaced all the hinges with something tougher, bolted them through the door with metal plates at the rear and tamper proof bolts, two locks bolted through the door frame in the same way, and a rear gate securely padlocked. The bike was also chained to metal shelving that was bolted to the shed, with a bloody great cable lock and D lock.

If they really want the bike they'll get it. This lot went at the locks until hey could get at enough of the door, and then went at it until they ripped the door in half, and the locks clean out of the door frame.

What really grates is that I'm sure it's someone who knows what was in the shed, after all why go to all that trouble on the off-chance of finding something.

Anyway I've now got a bedroom with a MTB, fixie, and two road bikes plus 3 wheels in it :shock: and my old madone Frame in the wardrobe for good measure :oops:

At the end of the day they're only possesions and at least my eldest (who was in at the time)didn't disturb them and get a screw driver in the chest

Revised FCN - 2
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Sorry about this news Rich158.

If no neighbours have had their sheds done within the last week or so, I'd have to agree that you may well have been targeted. It's amazing how much front these people have got, they must have made quite a bit of noise!

I work in a shop and experience my fair share of thieving idiots and I've come very close to blows with a few. It does make me feel better thinking that they must lead a shallow sh1tty life that they deserve!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Rich158 wrote:
    What really grates is that I'm sure it's someone who knows what was in the shed, after all why go to all that trouble on the off-chance of finding something.
    Spot on there, there are very few oportunistic thieves in these cases. They will have seen your son out on his bike and followed him back to your house or it is someone who lives nearby.

Sad state of affairs and sadly in a lot of areas the police don't really take it all that seriously, just a stolen push bike in their view.
  • Clever Pun
    Saw this and thought of you

19163356105221232356104.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Saw this and thought of you

19163356105221232356104.jpg

If that were to be true it's pure quality.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992

Thieves are the lowest form of criminal, and bike thieves the worst sort of thieves.

The lowest form? are you serious?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Clever Pun
    iainment wrote:

The lowest form? are you serious?

in terms of this forum? unless people are sexy timing brand new bikes :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Rich - take care what goes back in the shed for a while. Mate had a Viner and his wife's Cannondale stolen from their shed. Got replacements through insurance, which were promptly stolen 6 weeks later. Police reckoned it was probably the same guy/s and it is quite common for the theives to wait for insurance replacements to turn up before helping themselves to seconds.

Feels cr*p to have stuff stolen. We've just managed to get our insurance company to cough up for our kids' buggy that was stolen from inside a church just after Christmas. There are some pretty mean people out there.
  • Rich158
    Gussio wrote:
    Rich - take care what goes back in the shed for a while. Mate had a Viner and his wife's Cannondale stolen from their shed. Got replacements through insurance, which were promptly stolen 6 weeks later. Police reckoned it was probably the same guy/s and it is quite common for the theives to wait for insurance replacements to turn up before helping themselves to seconds.

Feels cr*p to have stuff stolen. We've just managed to get our insurance company to cough up for our kids' buggy that was stolen from inside a church just after Christmas. There are some pretty mean people out there.

The bikes are staying in the house from now, there's no way I'm taking a chance with them again, no matter how well fortified the shed is.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    it's quite possible/plausible it's someone who knows someone (at school?) who knows your lad. He's got a nice bike and has mentioned it.. hence the very targeted attack.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Hard luck Rich - I know very well that feeling of blind impotent rage at having a bike stolen ( I also guess I'm lucky as that's the extent of my misfotune). I just made sure I got a better bike to replace it... :twisted:

Can you get your shed wired in to the house alarm?
  • Rich158
    Clever Pun wrote:
    it's quite possible/plausible it's someone who knows someone (at school?) who knows your lad. He's got a nice bike and has mentioned it.. hence the very targeted attack.

That had crossed our mind, it happened to my eldest a while back. He went to a mates, left his bike in the garden, and the so called mate called his cousin who came over and nicked it while they were on the playstation.

It's life, and a hard lesson they have to learn, not everyone has the same morals that they do. All us parents can do is let them make the mistakes and help pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong. He's being surprisingly pragmatic about it which is good.

tbh I don't get a blind rage when a bike gets micked any more, after 5 going in about 10 years, being broken into and the laptops nicked, and having numerous car radio thefts I've got used to the feeling of loss and rage, which is a sad inditement of the society we live in.

Revised FCN - 2