Any rammifications for cycling?

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
In the light of this ruling.

UniBond League Premier Division club Ashton United have been hit with a hammer blow after the High Court found against the club and its player Danny White in a claim made by Marcus Hallows of Altrincham from a tackle in a Conference North fixture five years ago.
Ok you have to feel sorry for Hallows, but if I remember right it wasn't even a deliberate challenge?

I believe cycling like most sports has an element of danger, and as we all know has lead to injury ranging from slight to death.

No one is compelled to compete/partake in sport and it's about time common sense prevailed and "play at your own risk" should be the rule applied. Before any individual/team/organisation could be prosecuted intent/malace-a-f0rethought should have to be proven by the injured party.

Because of the "ambulance chasing" mentality it won't be long before all sporting events will stop because of the insurance costs. We'll then have the government moaning we're becoming a nation of fat b@st@rds and people will be sueing supermarkets etc for providing us with food. :roll:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I can't remember exact details but I think there was some litigation around an incident in a TT a number of years ago, when two riders crashed into one another whilst one was passing the other. But yea, the ambulance chasing is pretty hard to avoid these days
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Don't we all sign a declaration before taking part in an event which states that we hold no organiser/competitor liable for any loss, damage and compete at our own risk?
  • I don't know the circumstances behind the law suit, but I'd guess it was a rash/illegal career-ending tackle.
    If you're in a sprint for the line and some goon switches you deliberately into the barriers (Shades of that Dutch ex-tracky last year?) then why shouldn't you be able to sue?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Don't we all sign a declaration before taking part in an event which states that we hold no organiser/competitor liable for any loss, damage and compete at our own risk?

Even if there was I'm sure if you could prove that a competitor took you out on purpose you would still be able to sue his ass!
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • It was an unintentional tackle apparently but it finished Hallows career and nearly killed him. it was a very bad open fracture of the shin. His heart stopped and he needed a couple of operations to repair his leg to walkable.

his payout is based on his loss of earnings as a semi pro footballer from the injury until age 35.
  • Hmm, I wish I could have identified the idiot that took me out at Hillingdon a couple of years back. £1000 of damage to my bike plus scarring to me. Also others were bought down by this idiots actions - one of whom broke both collarbones.

The idiot tryied to overtake in the bus stop, went onto the grass then careered back into the bunch from the grass taking out my front wheel.

Yes there are accidents in racing, but also people are acting like idiots. I'd like to see much less of the idiot caused accidents. :?

I was told by a guy who is on the social club committee at work and organises various events that such declarations were meaningless, you still have some sort of responsibility as an organiser regardless what participants say beforehand.