Exotic stem failure

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited February 2010 in MTB general
After about 6 months of using this stem, It's decided to give up playing the game.

Was just wondering If anyone had this problem, and If you are using this stem It might be worth keeping a eye on It.

bits011.jpg
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• Any idea when/how it went?

I'd contact CarbonCycles and see what they say about it, haven't heard anyone else having problems!

I do know I can't use their stuff because i'm a heffer though!
  • Sarnian
    I was thinking about dropping them a mail, I don't think I have used It beyond the limit It designed for, I don't think I have done anything bigger then around 3 foot drops on this bike.
  • Have you maybe overtightened the bolt at the top? I don't know what tention it's meant to be (Is it 5Nmh I don't even know if nmh is right :lol: ) but it looks to me like you may have overtightened it.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Sarnian
    Don't think It was over tight I am normally pretty careful with these things but I did not use a torque wrench on this one, and It did take a while for It to go.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Another reason to avoid carbon stems.

At least that didnt snap through, made a mess of a friends face when his went.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    cavegiant wrote:

Looks like their Aluminium stem to me. I'd say its been overtightened. 4-5Nm isn't much and is easily overdone by hand. How much space is there between the top of your steerer and the top of the stem?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First one I have seen, and definitely looks like has been overtightened.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    cavegiant wrote:

Nice one :lol: Does that look like carbon to you? Should we avoid alloy ones as well?

What's odd about this is that this stem isn't an Exotic part really, well I suppose none of their stuff is since htey're a rebrander but this in particular is a totally industry standard rebrander stem- On One sell the same one, and I have an identical one branded Zoom from about 5 years ago. So for all Exotic aren't a big brand that's a very, very common stem, shows up as OEM spec as well on lots of bikes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Exotic is a model name of a range parts from CarbonCycles, who are owned by OBE - they make the stuff.
  • Sarnian
    You have got me thinking now If I have over tightened It, If I have It would be the first time but It can happen :D
    There Is just enough room at the top of the steerer and the top of the stem to make sure the cap don't bottom out
  • cavegiant
    LOL, i just assumed from carbon cycles and snapping that it was carbon.

Curses.

Still think people should not buy carbon stems, I will also add crappy aluminium ones as well.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • supersonic
    This is not a crap stem though.
  • Sarnian
    supersonic wrote:

I would say the same, It's seen a lot of use and possibly abuse over the past 6 months I would buy another one. But I will be taken care when doing up the bolts on the next one, just In case this was down to over tightening.
  • To be fair yes it is an exotic stem because you don't know wtf else it's called.

If it's something else then fair enough. It could be a lot of things like you say but the most common one wil be exotic so if there is a problem they need to mtfu and address it.
  • It's not a crap stem, it's just broken and needs to be fixed.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    It's not a crap stem, it's just broken and needs to be replaced.

fixed that for you ;-)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • cavegiant
    supersonic wrote:

My defenition of crap is definatly different from yours.

I like my stuff designed with enough leeway to compensate for user error.

lucky as I am a regularily eroneus user.
  • supersonic wrote:
    First one I have seen, and definitely looks like has been overtightened.

+1 on that, definitely looks like it was overtightened to me also. Chances are the company will ask you if you used a torque wrench when installing it....
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • supersonic
    cavegiant wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

My defenition of crap is definatly different from yours.

I like my stuff designed with enough leeway to compensate for user error.

lucky as I am a regularily eroneus user.

And you conclude that from one failure that you have seen?!!!

Given that 1000s, if not 10s of thousands of these have been sold under many names (and MBUK tested it, gave it a 10 and thrashed it) and this is the first one that I have seen reported broken (and looks like user error), how is it crap? Stop talking utter crap!

Overtighten anything, and it will eventually bust. Including Thomson - and I have seen DOZENS of broken thomson faceplates.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Sh1t happens.

I would send that one, so they can do what ever they want with it,
    and buy yourself a new stem, preferably some stronger one. 3ft ain't a little.