Which GPS

old codger
old codger Posts: 186
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hello,

i was wondering which is the best GPS gadget to use with mountain biking,(ie) something you can download maps onto,or download trails onto and use it from point to point,and possibly save waypoints to to download afterwards.

I have used the Garmin 705 on the road but found i didnt need the maps where as off road its not as easy to find your way round.

Many thanks.

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The best I have found is not a specific GPS unit.

Memory maps software has all the functions you need and more.
    Very easy to use,

You plot your route onto your pc or device and you will have a moving OS map on screen with a line on.

When you get back home, send data back to the pc and it can play your full route back in 3d with all the details on.

All you need for it to work is a windows phone with GPS on (i.e. most HTC phones) or a Iphone. HTC is far more respectable.

The XDA orbit is the oldest phone that can run the software so probably picked up for cheap on eBay.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If you want to download routes onto your GPS whats wrong with the 705?

I use my 605 + Garmin GB Topographic map to navigate new routes perfectly with pre loaded trails.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I got rid of my Garmin Vista because I found I could do it all on my phone - Nokia 5800.

I have downloaded the ViewRanger software to it and it uses ordinance survey maps.

I then create routes on bikehike.co.uk and save the .gpx file to my phone, this then plots the route I'd like to follow over the OS map. It gives elevation, speed graphs and a load of others. So much functionality I'm still learning how to use it. Fully recommend VIewRanger.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Check out the Garmin Edge 500

It has everything the 605 and 705 offer but no maps in a slimmer device with better battery life.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I use my HTC Hero Android to gather data from my ride, plotted onto a Google Map and can be exported as .GPX or .KML; but you can't use the software to plot I don't think. It's called 'My Tracks', offered by Google to Android users only.

Here is one I made earlier (well I rode it) 8) :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 38581&z=15
  • Plenty of other threads lying around about this...but my tuppence worth:

Garmin Oregon 300 or a Dakota 20.

Then download the free (and legal) maps from openstreetmap.com.

The Oregon has cadence and HR if you want them, plus plenty of other non bike related features. Chuck in a 3inch touchscreen and you have an awesome GPS unit for on and off roading.

If you want a more bike specific GPS unit stick with your 705 plus the openstreetmap MTB specific maps.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I reckon HTC-type devices are fine on the roads or if you just want to record data for later. But if you want to use them on your bars, they will get destroyed if you go off-road. Similarly anything touch-screen will be a total pain in the arse once it's muddy as you'll scratch the screen and you'll have problems using it with gloves on.

There are good maps on openstreetmap, if you follow the instructions you can build your own custom maps, it took about half an hour to combine the UK MTB map with a countour map, to get the topographical information on it, seems good enough for biking with.
  • Personally, I can't see what's really wrong with your Garmin 705. Maybe you don't know how to use it fully?

You can download maps and contours here:

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

All are free as they use open source.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I reckon HTC-type devices are fine on the roads or if you just want to record data for later. But if you want to use them on your bars, they will get destroyed if you go off-road. Similarly anything touch-screen will be a total pain in the ars* once it's muddy as you'll scratch the screen and you'll have problems using it with gloves on.

There are good maps on openstreetmap, if you follow the instructions you can build your own custom maps, it took about half an hour to combine the UK MTB map with a countour map, to get the topographical information on it, seems good enough for biking with.

I use it with two pairs of gloves on! In my back pocket, with the screen facing inwards and with a protective rubber cover on.
  • I reckon HTC-type devices are fine on the roads or if you just want to record data for later. But if you want to use them on your bars, they will get destroyed if you go off-road. Similarly anything touch-screen will be a total pain in the ars* once it's muddy as you'll scratch the screen and you'll have problems using it with gloves on.

No problems with the touchscreen on the Oregon. Although I'd recommend a screen protector. Works with gloves and when splattered in the finest of Devon's mud.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I reckon HTC-type devices are fine on the roads or if you just want to record data for later. But if you want to use them on your bars, they will get destroyed if you go off-road. Similarly anything touch-screen will be a total pain in the ars* once it's muddy as you'll scratch the screen and you'll have problems using it with gloves on.

Not agreeing with this.

I ran my phone on my bars, it was full of water from rain more than once, fell off the bars on quite a few downhill bouncing down the trail.
    The thing that finally killed it was jumping from a curb.
    The phone fell off the bars so I slammed my brakes on.
    Phone was screen down under my back wheel =-(
    It was skided a metre down the road and the screen was shaved.

It still worked, but touch screen was no longer accurate so insurance ;-)

I now have a touch HD2 with a glass screen =-(
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    ...... But if you want to use them on your bars, they will get destroyed if you go off-road.

Do you really need real-time GPS when you're travelling at 10mph on a track?

I usewd to use the GPS on my phone sometimes to make sure I'm taking the correct route but I can't see circumstances where I'd want it on the bars?

Bob
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Satmap.........'nuff said.

www.satmap.com

Quite expensive, maps are very expensive and no way of getting "cracked" copies either.

However, genius bit of kit!
    Craig Rogers
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    [/quote]
    I usewd to use the GPS on my phone sometimes to make sure I'm taking the correct route but I can't see circumstances where I'd want it on the bars?
    [/quote]

Unless you always ride the same routes (boring!) or you don't mind frequent stops to check the map (which turns to mush in the rain) then having a route-displaying gadget on the bars lets you keep on riding with no faff when you head out into the wilds.
  • I was going to say exactly that. I bought mine primarily so I can draw routes in Memory Map, and then follow them without having to get the map out at every turn. Fair enough if it's a simple route, but if you're dropping out of the hills, into a village, then picking up a bridleway off the road again it can easily be map-out every 50 yards.

And if you've got something that will tell you how far you've ridden, how much time you've spent stationary, how long you've been riding for, your average speed etc etc etc, why would you not want that on your bars where you can read it?