Croft and Hetton

incog24
incog24 Posts: 549
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Was anyone there today? And anyone racing next week?

Was great fun, albeit a lil sketchy in the first few laps before everyone remembered how to corner.
Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk

Comments

• The first few laps? Quite a few people seemed to forget completely about half way through, an at the end as well. And I'd say 95% of the bunch also forgot what the front looks like, and to press on the pedals when you get there!

Almost got put into the gravel pit leading into the final straight for the sprint. It helps when there's a left bend for the person next to you to actually turn left :evil:

Back at Hetton next week. Hopefully some hills/wind will make it a bit more interesting.

Still enjoyed it though!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • incog24
    Not working on the front isn't always a bad trait! But yeah, it was periodically pretty sketchy. I killed myself getting the prime, nearly got dropped, recovered and worked for my team mates at the end but we weren't quite strong enough. Next week should be good, the descent at Hetton is always good fun although the cracked tarmac on the hill has got even worse since last summer.
  • Hi There
    anyone tell me how to get to hetton from Thirsk?Can you enter on the line?
    cheers Timj

/
  • You should be able to enter on the line, I don't think the race is full yet.

From Thirsk it looks like it would be all the way up on the A19 to Easington, then onto the A182 and it should take you right into Hetton-Le-Hole.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • if these weather conditions persist it should turn hetton into a bike version of ski cross.
  • incog24
    It's supposed to be cold for the entire week so it could be touch and go...
  • When the snow was last here in late Jan, the road circuit of Hetton was unrideable as a road circuit, we did cross races there for last two weeks of Jan, and if the surface is like it was for the cross, there ain't a chance of a road race going ahead.
  • robjhp
    robjhp Posts: 21
    I'm ridin this sun,1st time@Hetton,whats course like ie length/climbs ect.Forewarned is forearmed as they say.Cheers
  • celbianchi wrote:
    When the snow was last here in late Jan, the road circuit of Hetton was unrideable as a road circuit, we did cross races there for last two weeks of Jan, and if the surface is like it was for the cross, there ain't a chance of a road race going ahead.

You've seen the state of some of the circuits up here, they'll still probably run it!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • robjhp wrote:
    I'm ridin this sun,1st time@Hetton,whats course like ie length/climbs ect.Forewarned is forearmed as they say.Cheers

the circuitr is probably about 1 mile all the way round, It's reasonably wide all the way round, plenty of room for overtaking. There is one hill about half way round, short (about 150 metres maybe, not very steep - but you can feel it towards the end of an hour crit).
    The finish line is at the top of a long straight drag uphill, pretty safe in a gallop.
    The one descent off the main hill is quite fast and the race is often lined up around the bends at the bottom of it.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    When the snow was last here in late Jan, the road circuit of Hetton was unrideable as a road circuit, we did cross races there for last two weeks of Jan, and if the surface is like it was for the cross, there ain't a chance of a road race going ahead.

You've seen the state of some of the circuits up here, they'll still probably run it!

haha - the road surface will be better than most of the lanes we race on, but I reckon I have punctured at Hetton 3 times in last 4 races there (excluding cross). GRRRR - once with 3 laps to go so wasn't allowed a lap out and contest the finish.

I was meaning more from an ice perspective - in the cross we did about 300m on the road circuit and it was compact snow, ok on 34mm cross tyres, but no chance on a road tyre,
  • incog24
    Hopefully this rain will sort it out. The issue with hetton is that people walk around it fairly frequently so the snow will get compacted but not broken up. Hopefully be ok now though.
  • Cancelled.

Snow in February, who'd have thought!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    This is a dir comment I know before I start. I thought the racing didn't start untill April 13.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • incog24
    Annoying it being cancelled, I took training easy yesterday so that's another long ride down the pan!And now the e/1/2/3 race isn't going to happen, and the 3/4 race is only regional C + so there are hardly any points on offer...Ah well, should have a chance to go to hetton before the race now anyway.
  • incog24 wrote:
    Annoying it being cancelled, I took training easy yesterday so that's another long ride down the pan!And now the e/1/2/3 race isn't going to happen, and the 3/4 race is only regional C + so there are hardly any points on offer...Ah well, should have a chance to go to hetton before the race now anyway.

Clashes with the Neil White though, so I'm not going. Bit silly considering there is massive gaps in the NE to run it on the same weekend as another race.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • incog24
    True is a bit of a pain. Although I guess the focus is on 4th Cat racing now, and that definitely is under developed in the NE. I would be doing the Neil White but I got my entry returned...Hopefully most 3rds will be racing it though so I'll have a decent chance to get points at Hetton.
  • incog24 wrote:
    True is a bit of a pain. Although I guess the focus is on 4th Cat racing now, and that definitely is under developed in the NE. I would be doing the Neil White but I got my entry returned...Hopefully most 3rds will be racing it though so I'll have a decent chance to get points at Hetton.

Changed it to saturday now, so a double weekend for me 8)

I wouldn't limit yourself because of your category. Often the higher cat races are the better ones!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    It has been cancelled altogether as Hetton unavailable

http://www.bcne.co.uk/
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Actually
    There are events on 6th and 13th March at Hetton, fiver to enter on line, but no prizes or points, just training races to refamiliarise oneself with race pace.
  • Hi
    What time?
  • Hi
    What time?