disk brakes...

solstice21
solstice21 Posts: 321
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Probably setting myself up for a grilling here. A few friends have been a got or built up nice new bikes and its making me want 1 bad! But I've been thinkin, when out with em on my 10 year old gt, are disks worth it? More weight, more maintenance, more expense! None of em seem to be able to stop any quicker than me on single track with my v brakes... or keep up with me lol. What I'm sayin is are they not an over priced cosmetic addition?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes no and maybe.

heavier not really. maintainance i would say less. stop more consistently in all conditions.

some disc brakes are poor just as some V brakes were poor.

remember when Vs first arrived? sounds like you are still in '97 with your cantis.

Oh and Vs in the dry are hard to beat. but look at the XC racers most have made the switch. why you do not need as much force for the same braking so they get les fatigued with disc brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I was sceptical, until I had discs

In the dry, a little better....

In wet/muddy conditions, far better with discs.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    There's no comparison really and i'm not just saying that.

Little maintenance. If in good condition. I bled my brakes when I put new pads in 4 months ago. I've not touched them since apart from a clean and they are self adjusting.

Performance wise, not even closed especially in wet conditions. Go through 6 inches of mud and your brakes won't work properly for a little while. Mine work as if it was dry.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cheap Disc brakes are probably no better or worse than a well set up set of rim brakes. However a good name set by the likes of Shimano Formula Hope Avid etc etc will have plenty of power lots of feel be l;ightweight and most likely easier to set up. They will feel consistent no matter what the weather and your rims wont wear out over winter.

I fitted a new set of Avid Elixir brakes on wednesday and setting them up involved shortening the hoses, bleeding them and bolting new rotors to wheels. It took me about an hour and a half to do both ends.

I havent fitted a set of rim brakes for a while but I have horrible memories of spending hours in the shed struggling to get them right to stop them sounding like a banshee or threatening to pitch me over the bars when they lock up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap