Back In The Game

AndyOgy
AndyOgy Posts: 579
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
After about a year of being mostly unemployed, I have finally taken the plunge and gone self employed. It looks like I'm going to get regular work from at least 3 companies and the best bit is - Cycling is now my proffession.

I qualified as a Cycling Instructor last year and I've also managed to get some work as a cycle mechanic.

Anyhow, somebody mentioned on Coriander's thread (congratulations to you too Coriander) that the forum rules state that a new job means a new bike. Not wanting to upset whoever it was that made that statement, I figured that a new steed was justified:

22237_314831768556_709708556_3597315_2365951_n.jpg

I never thought that I'd buy such a bike, but I test rode one last week and it's amazing. I used to just commute on whatever bike I fancied, but the others can now be my 'leisure' bikes, wheras this is the commuting/work beast.

This might just be the most 'suitable' bike that I've ever commuted on.

First ride home today was a rather mellow experience, and I was smiling all the way.

Now, I just need to come up with a name but I'm still trying to establish the gender of this glorious machine.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    It looks female! Nice curves, big saddle, great rack, elegant, yet it looks as if it likes to get dirty. Nice to handle and a joy to ride - yes it is female!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Good analogy Wallace :P
  • AndyOgy
    Great Rack. Of Course. Can't believe I missed that, I feel a bit silly for asking now.

And so let it be known that, from this moment forward, my newest family member shall be knows as 'Jolene'.

On a slightle related matter, I'd like to fit 'Jolene' with a coffee cup holder. Does anyone know of one that mounts somewhere other than on the handlebars, ie the stem. The bars are already filled with lights, computer, bell etc.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    AndyOgy wrote:
    On a slightle related matter, I'd like to fit 'Jolene' with a coffee cup holder. Does anyone know of one that mounts somewhere other than on the handlebars, ie the stem. The bars are already filled with lights, computer, bell etc.

For such a requirement, you need to look to the marine market, where the ability to keep a drink close to hand while sailing is of utmost importance.

Try this:
    http://www.liquidcaddy.com/
    it's even gimballed, so won't spill when you lean into corners !

Enjoy :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • This might be a numpty question, but what's the thinking behind the angled top tube? I can't see what it's for apart from very limited shock absorption but, if you've got give there, won't this make you need some serious strengthening of the bottom bracket?
  • This might be a numpty question, but what's the thinking behind the angled top tube? I can't see what it's for apart from very limited shock absorption but, if you've got give there, won't this make you need some serious strengthening of the bottom bracket?

to further help the bike have a more laid back position. no head down racer there, but good upright position.
  • Cheers, Roger, but I still can't see why a straight top tube between the same 2 points wouldn't do the job with a bit more structural strength all round.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Cheers, Roger, but I still can't see why a straight top tube between the same 2 points wouldn't do the job with a bit more structural strength all round.

Yeah it does seem to be bent just "because it can be"
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    As the frame is more MTB orientated than road I should imagine that the swooping top tube is for extra standover height (very useful for MTBs)

Is a very continental leisure looking bike you got there Andy, I quite like the look of relaxed bikes as they make me calm :wink:
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    This is a bike that has potential for some extreme damage on the FCN-scale!
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • AndyOgy
    This might be a numpty question, but what's the thinking behind the angled top tube? I can't see what it's for apart from very limited shock absorption but, if you've got give there, won't this make you need some serious strengthening of the bottom bracket?

I'm guessing standover height, as there are some big jumps between frame sizes. I can't see as it'd provide that much shock absorbtion. The welds around the bottom bracket do look pretty substantial and the frame, as a whole, is no lightweight. That said, it's also not as heavy as it looks. It is however, without a doubt, the most comfortable bike that I've ever ridden. Even if it won't be winning many races.

Funnily enough, one of my other bikes is a 2009 Specialized Allez. Nobody seems to know the reason of the bend in the Allez top tube either. I think, as someone else said, it's just because they can.

And thanks for the link, Fireblade. Best I've seen so far.
  • Nice bike, properly functional. Been thinking that I would like a sit up type bike for the pootling round town type cycles. Good luck with the new work :-)
  • AndyOgy
    Talking of FCN, would we all agree that this is a hybrid? or do the 26" wheels put it in the territory of mountain bike?

Kiblams - I love the relaxed ride. On my other bikes, I always feel like I'm racing. I can't believe how relaxing this bike is.
  • AndyOgy
    Thanks OldSkoolKona. Must admit that I did buy this bike as something of a luxury for relaxed rides around town.

Fits the bill perfectly.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Kiblams - I love the relaxed ride. On my other bikes, I always feel like I'm racing. I can't believe how relaxing this bike is.

Don't you feel on edge going slowely while rush hour traffic are fighting over each other to overtake you? | feel a need to keep up with them through the city streets and I also have a bad habit of chasing down other cyclists (most of whom are on road bikes/hybrids) Seeing another bike infront for some reason forces me to be infront of them... :?

If I could stem my inability to not put the hammer down I would probably enjoy my commute more :roll:
  • AndyOgy
    Kiblams wrote:
    AndyOgy wrote:

Don't you feel on edge going slowely while rush hour traffic are fighting over each other to overtake you? | feel a need to keep up with them through the city streets and I also have a bad habit of chasing down other cyclists (most of whom are on road bikes/hybrids) Seeing another bike infront for some reason forces me to be infront of them... :?

If I could stem my inability to not put the hammer down I would probably enjoy my commute more :roll:

I thought I might do but it's a faster bike than it looks. Also, as an unexpected bonus, the upright position inspires a great deal of confidence. Similar to that which I have felt when driving a big van and being higher up than everyone else.