Chainstay protection...

crimsondynamo
crimsondynamo Posts: 246
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I shall be getting my new bike built up next week (if shiny bikes can pull the finger out and send me the gruppo), and I'm concerned about protecting the chainstay. It has a "clover leaf section", i.e it's quite sculpted and even the factory heli-tape is peeling off because of the contours.

Is an mtb style neoprene chainstay protector a faux-pas of the highest order on a road bike? If so, what's the solution?

EDIT: I know I'm being a pussy here and I just need to get some scratches on it and quit worrying, but all my existing bikes are a bit chewed up and I'd at least like to start out with good intentions with this one.

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    This has been discussed before, personally I just use two layers of black electrical tape with the ends neatly trimmed of course).
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Is an mtb style neoprene chainstay protector a faux-pas of the highest order on a road bike?

Who cares? It's your bike; treat it and protect it as you want. Doesn't matter what other people might think (unless you're a poser, trying to fit in with some elitist clique or something). =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Exactly.... if tape wont stick you need a soft cover. Get one!!