Ullrich free like a bird

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
No one posted this one up but it looks like Jan gets away with it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3140/ ... lrich.aspx

Ok, he paid that big fine to make the case disappear but this is the final one I think.

Although, perhaps he was clean all along. I mean, if we take this into account along with the Vaughter / Andreu IM discussion.

DREU: You may read stuff that i say to radio or press, praising the Tour and lance but it's just playing the game

Cyclevaughters: believe me, as carzy as it sounds - Moreau was on nothing. Hct of 39%

FDREU: when in 2000-2001

Cyclevaughters: so, that's when you start thinking... hell, kevin was telling me that after 2000 Ullrich never raced over 42%--- yeah moreau in 2000-2001

Cyclevaughters: anyhow - whtever

FDREU: After 1999, you know many things changed. lance did not

FDREU: I believe that's part of whey kevin left, he was tired of the stuff

:wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• No problem getting a licence either, apparently. Could be just like old times.....
    ......only further down the mountain, as Bertie and Andy take the old guy's leading roles.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    No one posted this one up but it looks like Jan gets away with it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3140/ ... lrich.aspx

Well, lets hope that if you get accused something and then the authorities drop the charges, that everyone thinks you really did it, but got away with it.
    I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with that??? Right????
    NOT being prosecuted for something means you DID it????
    These guys were your hero's once. Could do no wrong. Great men battling all odds for great glory and fame. Now you want them lined up against a wall. Wait, I've said all this before. I think. Hmmmmmmmm, could be. Sorry if I repeat myself. :wink::wink:
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    These guys were your hero's once. Could do no wrong. Great men battling all odds for great glory and fame. Now you want them lined up against a wall. Wait, I've said all this before. I think. Hmmmmmmmm, could be. Sorry if I repeat myself. :wink::wink:

I've never liked Jan. He was never a hero and because I'm an adult I don't have any cyclist heroes.

But lets be clear, his blood was proven to be in a clinic in Spain. A few other riders did bans for exactly the same.

I bet you didn't even read the article, did you?
  • “We are reluctant to abandon it, but there is simply not a shred of evidence that Ullrich used doping at the Olympics in 2000.”

I'm sorry mate but that's an emotional response. If there's no facts then why the vendetta? Cuz that's all the reluctance could be if not rooted in fact.

So maybe the blood bags of Jan's were VDB's dogs? Who's ever they were, they were circumstantial enuf or inadmissible enuf to not be a "shred of evidence".

I used to watch Law and Order so do recall episodes where someone got off "cuz the system sucks". But let by-gones by by-gones in this case; a successful prosecution of Ulrich won't clean up the sport by miraculously leading to full confessions from whomever.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • iainf72
    No one understands my comedy use of the IM.

Sigh.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

No I didn't. I was only commenting on your proclamation of Jan being guilty simply because he was accused of something. If the authorities didn't have enough on him to go ahead, and I would bet they know a bit more than you do, then you claiming to know that he "beat the system" or whatever, is taken with a grain of salt(or is it sand?).
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

No I didn't. I was only commenting on your proclamation of Jan being guilty simply because he was accused of something. .

Helpful tip : Read the material before commenting. It'll be easier for all concerned.
  • So the headline should read... Old Man No Longer Doping...? Not much of a storey is it?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

No I didn't. I was only commenting on your proclamation of Jan being guilty simply because he was accused of something. If the authorities didn't have enough on him to go ahead, and I would bet they know a bit more than you do, then you claiming to know that he "beat the system" or whatever, is taken with a grain of salt(or is it sand?).

???

Does this guy ever comment on what is posted? Is everything about his moral superiority and dim-witted smugness?

A walking, talking advert for riding with a helmet...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I can't see what the point of this case was anyway. It's not like he carried on riding after OP and he's certainly not coming back. His reputation is already tarnished and he's paid a fine.

If it's about the 2000 Olympics, then does any really think that the silver medallist was cheated out of a gold? (It was Vino, if you can't remember).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dennisn
    Bakunin wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

???

Does this guy ever comment on what is posted? Is everything about his moral superiority and dim-witted smugness?

I commented on iainf72's statement that "looks like Jan got away with it". Was that not part of his post???? Did he not imply that because Jan has been accused of something that he was therefore guilty?? Seemed like it to me. Then again I'm only dim witted.....
    As for the helmet. In my case I think it was too many drugs in the 60's.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Dennis -- what was your drug of choice?

I betting it was mushrooms. It would have to be something natural, I would think.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Jan was one of my faves, but he's as much as admitted he was on the juice himself so I don't think Iain was jumping to any especially tenuous conclusions here.

Strava is not Zen.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just watched a compilation of Jan on Youtube and his jawline fescinates me. When he first gets the Tour in '97 his jaw looks way different to the modern day Ullrich. In his latter years he did get a bit like an Orangutan; big round dinner plate of a jaw. The same time Armstrong's face turned almost Witch like with a jutting jawline and hooked nose.
    I am not way insinuating that HGH was ever in use, ever. No, No, No.
    I could be sued for that!! :wink:

-Jerry

PS- Ullrich on a TT bike; "suits you Sir"; he did look good (in a hetro way of course).
    No gay cyclists here Thank you!!

PPS- Never crossed my mind that one; no gay cyclists??
    I know cycling could be said to be rascist or sexist but GAYist too???
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Good news....Jan's pie consumption is cleared as being the cause for his superb results.

Mine's a beef and onion please!
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf wrote:
    Good news....Jan's pie consumption is cleared as being the cause for his superb results.

Mine's a beef and onion please!

Actually Jan took a very scientific approach to his food. He even devised a formula:

The Jan + Schnitzel + Beer = Death + Pain.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    As Iain suggests, Ullrich must have been clean. After all, everything in that IM conversation is true, 100% gospel... Isn't it?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dennisn
    Bakunin wrote:
    Dennis -- what was your drug of choice?

I betting it was mushrooms. It would have to be something natural, I would think.

Hate to bust your bubble but I was never much of a hippie. I wasn't even organic or natural. Still am not, although my doctor keeps bugging me to eat better. My main vices these days are strawberry margaritas, mexican food, and all the drugs the doctors prescribe for me. :oops: :oops:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Haha, de Jojo. Never was a fan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    ???

I think this tells us more about you than it does about Dennis.
  • jerry3571
    I'm suprised Jan never got a positive test from all the hormones in the Bratwurst and Pies he ate in his career.
    Robert Millar avoided these Pies due to a chance of a Positive test result. Still reading his book; my girlfriend says I must learn to read first; the letters and the pictures are nice though. :wink:

-Jerry

Ps- I did see Jan the day before he bombed out in the '98 Tour de France in Grenoble. He quietly poodled down a quiet road after the stage finish, on his own, in his yellow Jersey not knowing that would be his last day in Yellow.
    I'm no sure whether he wore it again; bit of Pub Quiz question; any answers on that one??
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I'm suprised Jan never got a positive test from all the hormones in the Bratwurst and Pies he ate in his career.
    Robert Millar avoided these Pies due to a chance of a Positive test result. Still reading his book; my girlfriend says I must learn to read first; the letters and the pictures are nice though. :wink:

-Jerry

Ps- I did see Jan the day before he bombed out in the '98 Tour de France in Grenoble. He quietly poodled down a quiet road after the stage finish, on his own, in his yellow Jersey not knowing that would be his last day in Yellow.
    I'm no sure whether he wore it again; bit of Pub Quiz question; any answers on that one??

No, I believe not.

Strava is not Zen.
  • jerry3571 wrote:

Might be a good shout, I seriously don't think he did.

Apparently after that stage, Jan was put stright into a hot bath and fed a few massive bowls of muesli with protein powder. He was absolutely cream crackered.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jerry3571
    I thought it was a good advert for the sport where the leader of the Tour de France could make his own way back to the Hotel without any body guards or chaperones.
    Happy days.

-Jerry

PS-The shot below is the shot that got away; I cooked this image with Pantani in yellow and Ullrich behind on the col de Madelaine.
    Another Pub Quiz question- In the shot, as well as Pantani (RIP), is that also Andrei Kivilev?? (RIP too). Not good.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/132/l_53677b05e7084135a8e59c4c96906f2c.jpg

-Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571 wrote:

PS-The shot below is the shot that got away; I cooked this image with Pantani in yellow and Ullrich behind on the col de Madelaine.
    Another Pub Quiz question- In the shot, as well as Pantani (RIP), is that also Andrei Kivilev?? (RIP too). Not good.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/132/l_53677b05e7084135a8e59c4c96906f2c.jpg

Kivilev didnt take part in that tour so no. Not sure who it was though, Rinero perhaps although he may have been in the Mountains jersey?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Annual+Lambertz+Monday+Night+Party+2sSPSAYmuxwl.jpg
    Looks like he's ready to make a comeback..................

as Pavarotti
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Always liked Jan and he never done anything different than the rest of the peleton did but because he was famous he was in the spotlight more than others. Glad he faces no further action in court and he seems to be enjoying himself now and did so even through his career. Whats wrong with that eh?

I aspire to be as pure as the regular 'doping' poster's on the race section as they must never have done anything wrong in their lives or even heaven forbid put on a few kilos over the winter period. I wonder why they are not racing on the continent :lol:
    Brian B.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    When there's an armchair race they'll all be there
  • jerry3571
    Phew! Thanks for that about no Kivilev in my shot. Just did a Wiki job and he was with Festina in '98. Amen.
    I did see on TV that Paris Nice where Andrei Kivilev had his fatal accident. Terrifying stuff.
    Cheers for that!
    Back to Mr Ullrich!!

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    jerry3571 wrote:

Kivilev didnt take part in that tour so no. Not sure who it was though, Rinero perhaps although he may have been in the Mountains jersey?

That's definitely Rinero.