XTR 10 Speed

waynerock64
waynerock64 Posts: 29
edited February 2010 in MTB general
When is Shimano going to bring out XTR 10 triggers, and are they doing a mod to replace my triggers from 9 speed to 10 speed.
cheers wayne :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    dont think the big S ever made a mod for anything.
    Why bring a mod out when they can get you to upgrade
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't see how they could be modded without ripping the internals out somehow.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    One easy solution here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35084

A couple of guys I ride with have done this mod to get the XXTR 10 speed thing going on and it seems to work well!

:D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT and SLX are going 10 speed too. But is it an upgrade?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    supersonic wrote:
    XT and SLX are going 10 speed too. But is it an upgrade?

I could see 2x10 becoming the default that 3x9 currently is. Can produce near enough the same range of ratios with fewer overlaps - shifting at the front should be smoother too.

I'm not going to be a guinea pig though :lol:
  • 2 x 9/10 is the way forward. Running 29/42 and 11-34 gives the same ratio's as 22/32/44 and 11-32 bar granny and top cog at the rear, but who actually uses that gear? Or put differently, if you didn't have it, would you miss it that much?

I'll be racing with 2 x 9 this year, nowhere in the UK needs a 22F & 32/34R ratio, if it's that steep your tyres will break traction first.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    stevieboy wrote:
    I'll be racing with 2 x 9 this year, nowhere in the UK needs a 22F & 32/34R ratio, if it's that steep your tyres will break traction first.

racing you're probably right, but trail riding (for the majority of us at least) 22:32 or 34 has its place.

my issue with 10sp will likely be the narrower tolerances causing wretched shifting when dirty. That was always the biggest problem shifting 7-9sp for me (8 passed me by) and honestly I'd probably run 7 sp today if top end gear was available
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • I think normal trail stuff i see these days are 22/36 front with bash and 9 on the back.

And 10 is apparently a bit thinnner and so on which upsets me, i used to break the odd 8 speed, and now break a few 9 speed chains.. 10 speed is gonnna die in the mud and grit i think!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    stevieboy wrote:
    2 x 9/10 is the way forward. Running 29/42 and 11-34 gives the same ratio's as 22/32/44 and 11-32 bar granny and top cog at the rear, but who actually uses that gear? Or put differently, if you didn't have it, would you miss it that much?

The lower gears are more for long slow climbs I find, agree you don't need the super-lows for short sections but for, say, the climb at innerleithen which goes on forever, most people end up in the granny ring and the big end of the cassette. Or Tower Climb at Glentress. Talking here of your standard-issue not-that-fit rider.

22-36 11-34 works well for me, it does top out on very fast descents but usually not anywhere fun.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bout to say, i would struggle to go above a 34 in south wales on the decents, any faster and i'd be permanently off the trail lol
  • I think what some peole are missing here is that with a 3 ring front setup you're getting the perfect chain line in the middle cog and often the most used cog.

A 2 ring setup does not have this, it'll always be left or right. In my view (ring weight aside) it's best to run either a single ring or triple as running 2 rings means you still need a shifter and front mech, so you've got the weight anyhow, you're just narrowing down your options for the sake of less ratio overlap and the chain lines is not as optimal...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Uh, how do you figure that? 2 ring is generally 3-ring with the big ring removed so the exact same chainline for the gears that remain.

For me 22/36 isn't just about weight reduction, the Hemlock's got a bash anyway so it's heavier than a big ring- it's ground clearance and simplicity.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Uh, how do you figure that? 2 ring is generally 3-ring with the big ring removed so the exact same chainline for the gears that remain..

Yes if you use a modified 3 ring crank. But a 2 ring specific crank means the rings will align differently to a 3 as there are only 2 rings.
    Northwind wrote:
    For me 22/36 isn't just about weight reduction, the Hemlock's got a bash anyway so it's heavier than a big ring- it's ground clearance and simplicity.

Yes extra ground clearence is useful but simplicity? How is it more simple, you still have to have the shifter setup correctly and that's not really any tricker on a 2 ring over a three ring.

We're talking about the benefits of 10 spd XTR here, not just any old 2 ring setup that have been used for years.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    the fitter you get , the fewer gears you need for your chosen riding.
    thats my excuse for ever changing gear selection.
    running 1 x 8 now , considering 1 x 10 for the future. 8)
  • It certainly wont be something you can easily mod your current xtr to do!

Apparently the 10 speed stuff is fine off-road, one of the journos has been doing it for years with no complaints.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    imo i reckon 10 speed is the ay forward, but specifically the introduction of a 36t rear cog, like on xx, which allows even more people to run 1/2 x9/10 combos, which i think may well be the best thing since sliced bread :) i tried a single 32t ring up front and a 11-34 last year and it was ace :D