What is a good upgrade from Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels?

Aidanw
Aidanw Posts: 449
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I have Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels on my Condor Agio bike that I use daily for my commute from fulham to covent garden.

I have had the bike for well over a year and I think it deserves a treat for it's reliability! I think that a new set of wheels would be just the thing!

However I am not made of money so I cannot splash more than £200 or so on a new set.

Does anyone have any advise on something that would be a significant upgrade, but keep the bomb-proof ness of the Fulcrums. They have not gone out of true at all since I have had them.

I weigh 118kg (18.5 stone) so I don't fancy anything with only 3 spokes per wheel, but beyond that I have no specific requirements.

Cheers
Aidan

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fulcrum 5's...
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Fulcrum 5's...

Or keep the 7's until you can afford some 3's.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    merlin are doing the new ultegra wheels for a silly price. a bit more than you planned but amazing for the money
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -pair.html
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the 5s. Excellent wheels.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    pastey_boy wrote:
    merlin are doing the new ultegra wheels for a silly price. a bit more than you planned but amazing for the money
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -pair.html
    also they are tubeless and you get the best quick release levers in the buisness
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    As a Fulcrum lover (I own both 7 and 5's) I'd probably go up the range by two, though this is determined by the bike I think as you can put too high a wheel spec on a bike?

I wouldn't go higher than Fulcrum 5 on my commuter. I would happily put Fulcrum 3's or 1's on my carbon fibre bike.

Fulcrum 5's are better than 7's, they just are. But I don't see them as a significant upgrade over the 7's.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    As a Fulcrum lover (I own both 7 and 5's) I'd probably go up the range by two, though this is determined by the bike I think as you can put too high a wheel spec on a bike?

I wouldn't go higher than Fulcrum 5 on my commuter. I would happily put Fulcrum 3's or 1's on my carbon fibre bike.

Fulcrum 5's are better than 7's, they just are. But I don't see them as a significant upgrade over the 7's.

So to make this clearer.

If commuting:

Fulcrum 7 or 5. But you won't gain much from using Fulcrum 5's on a commuting bike.

If weekend/sportive bike:

Fulcrum 3 or 1. You can have Fulcrum 5's but I think you'll gain more from having 3's or 1.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    So you have some wheels which you love, which have always been reliable, which still work fine - perhaps if you want to treat your bike, maybe replace a bit of it that you're less delighted with :)
  • Biondin is right. If they are still good keep them until you can aford a subtantially better wheelset. Meanwhile change your bartape, it's always good for the moral.
    By the way, none of us are made of money, we just give up other treats and save the money for a better bike or bike part. :D