Shuddering Brakes

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
when I apply my front brake it tends to bite and shudder a little and as a result the fork are flexing. It seems to happen once a revolution for example, but I've checked the rims and the brake shoes and can't see anything untoward

It's only started since I took the front wheel off to replace the tyre

I'm not overly happy with this.... any ideas?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• What kind of brake?
    The wheel is in the drop out correctly, aye?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Brakes not centered? Wheel out of true?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Probably a daft idea, but did you put the wheel back in the same way round? The braking surface might be smoother one way and more grippy the other if that makes any sense.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    wheel is centered and runs true

Campag veloce brakes.. standard issue road caliper ones
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    rjsterry wrote:
    Probably a daft idea, but did you put the wheel back in the same way round? The braking surface might be smoother one way and more grippy the other if that makes any sense.

yes, got a bike comp so the magnet thingy only registers the one way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • tighten the main brake bolt. check the brake blocks & cable blocks are tight.
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    ok will give that a go
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I had bad judder on my Tricross but sorted that by Toeing in the brakes, no shudder! A then replaced the hanger with a Kona style one and it is perfect.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I had bad judder on my Tricross but sorted that by Toeing in the brakes, no shudder! A then replaced the hanger with a Kona style one and it is perfect.

But were they not canti lever brakes?
  • I had bad judder on my Tricross but sorted that by Toeing in the brakes, no shudder! A then replaced the hanger with a Kona style one and it is perfect.

The toe in thing should still apply though.

Could be worth scotchbriting the braking surface - juddering can be initiated by a deposit of something on one part of the braking surface.

The toe in thing should still apply though.

Could be worth scotchbriting the braking surface - juddering can be initiated by a deposit of something on one part of the braking surface.

A lot of canti judder comes from the distane between the cable hanger and the wee bit that holds the shorter bit of cable on the canti. The shorter the distance between the two the better it seems

I have Planet-x frog leg things on my pompino and they are god awful. I had to toe the front in more than any brake in my memory to get any sort of power out of them.

They will be replaced with V-Brakes for next winter.
  • "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Any play at all in your wheel hub ?
  • Clever Pun
    Right I've sussed the issue... it's the rim. there seems to be a ridge near the top of the rim that is affecting the brake as it moves past. I suspect this is caus ethe bit below it has work down a bit with all the crud etc.

I'm just a little surprised this started suddenly. I might adjust the block lower to avoid said ridge for now to avoid undue pressure on the forks

suggestions?

I don't think this can be fixed? it's a new rim/wheel right? it's not a big deal as it's not a hand build or anything
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Right I've sussed the issue... it's the rim. there seems to be a ridge near the top of the rim that is affecting the brake as it moves past. I suspect this is caus ethe bit below it has work down a bit with all the crud etc.

I'm just a little surprised this started suddenly. I might adjust the block lower to avoid said ridge for now to avoid undue pressure on the forks

suggestions?

I don't think this can be fixed? it's a new rim/wheel right? it's not a big deal as it's not a hand build or anything

i would suspect so, yes rim or wheel. if it's okay to leave to summer/spring could see as upgrade time if one wished?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

suggestions?

i would suspect so, yes rim or wheel. if it's okay to leave to summer/spring could see as upgrade time if one wished?

nah it's the hack, upgrading it is silly, it's supposed to have to deal with the grim weather so the pretty bikes don't have to
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

suggestions?

nah it's the hack, upgrading it is silly, it's supposed to have to deal with the grim weather so the pretty bikes don't have to

Is it a localised ridge, or does it run round the whole circumference? If it is localised, that suggests it might be the result of a knock from a pothole, but around the whole rim suggests wear from braking.

Now that I've had a chance to have a really good look at my dented rims from last week, I'm starting to think that there is an outside chance that I could straighten out the dents. It will require some very gentle and patient application of a hammer, and pliers, but I think it might just be possible. Anyway, I've got nothing to lose so I think I'll give it a try.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    It's localised, it's not been knocked as such but it was left of it's own on black thursday outside brewers wharf and someone removed the front wheel and placed it behind my frame as it was obstructing a fire door. he was very nice and said he kept an eye out for anyone messing with it

might have been dinged then?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5