Shorts over tights.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Shorts over tights.

OK, I've seen a few peeps rock the whole shorts over the full length tights look while cycling. I tried this this morning and found my legs restricted making it feel like I had to work harder to pedal the bike faster (than normal).

So tricks of the trade, is there a secret?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    emmm I've always done this, partly because I started with shorts then added the bib tights!

Although it could be your shorts, my Enudra Humvee shorts are fine, my Endura Zyme 3/4 length can be a little restrictive and thats without the tights on.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    no secret, think of it as resistance training and how fast you'll go when you're not wearing them :wink:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • I use tights with a pair of (short) running shorts over, no restriction problems. Any shorts you use should give no more resistance than on their own as the tights have less friction than your skin.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    is there a secret?

No secret. It's a ploy used by those who can't adequately fill tights on their own. :twisted:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    No secret, I don't find it a problem. I notice it a bit when wearing my Endure waterproof tights, they are not very 'supple' but adding shorts has no noticeable extra effect. But the combo works very well in cold weather :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shorts over tights.

OK, I've seen a few peeps rock the whole shorts over the full length tights look while cycling. I tried this this morning and found my legs restricted making it feel like I had to work harder to pedal the bike faster (than normal).

So tricks of the trade, is there a secret?
    Leg warmers.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hi guys I was wondering should I dress left of right? I've seen some people ride right sided yet I feel more comfortable on the right

what do you do?

Girls how'd you compensate?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    For me, it's one of 3 options:
    1) leg-warmers and shorts
    2) padded bibtights
    3) shorts and unpadded bibtights over the top

1) is the preference but since xmas it's mainly been 2 and 3. Last year I only wore bibtights for a couple of weeks: boo to the cold weather!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Blue tights with very short red shorts over the top.
    It's a great look, but you need a cape and a CX
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    is there a secret?

No secret. It's a ploy used by those who can't adequately fill tights on their own. :twisted:

Ewww, use a nappy FFS!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • JonGinge wrote:
    For me, it's one of 3 options:
    1) leg-warmers and shorts
    2) padded bibtights
    3) shorts and unpadded bibtights over the top

1) is the preference but since xmas it's mainly been 2 and 3. Last year I only wore bibtights for a couple of weeks: boo to the cold weather!

+1

But the main problem with padded tights is that you only wear them once, whereas unpadded ones over shorts will get you through a week without washing them.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I like to wear those really small demin shorts, y'know the ones that leave the bottom of your ass cheeks exposed. For my tights I like the ones with a dark line down the back so they look like old stockings, and a pair of 4" high heels with a slight platform really set the look off nicely.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Kiblams wrote:
    I like to wear those really small demin shorts, y'know the ones that leave the bottom of your ass cheeks exposed. For my tights I like the ones with a dark line down the back so they look like old stockings, and a pair of 4" high heels with a slight platform really set the look off nicely.

Can you get those in SPD's?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I go the other way i have my bikester leggings over cycling shorts.

I did used to wear running leggings the same way but found them a bit thin last winter.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I do things the other way round :shock: Tights over shorts. The tights then last a few rides before washing.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    edited February 2010
    I occasionally did tights under baggies on really cold days and comfort-wise it was fine, but too warm. Now just go for 3/4 shorts and calf length socks for the coldest days.
  • I'm on normal cycle shorts, thermal leg warmers over them (from George, no expense spared!) and then a pair of 3/4 length shorts over the top. The ones I'm currently wearing are a thicker pair which gives me pockets so I can stash my swipe card for the building I'm working at in the leg (can then get in by kneeing the proximity sensors :-)) and somewhere to hand the bike lock key which is on a retractable yo-yo clip.

I've found that setup plenty warm and never felt restricted in my cycling.

I think personally you should just MTFU DDD and stop looking to your choice of clothing as an excuse for poor performance ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5