Newbie getting a road bike

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Just joined after much result and now have some questions.

I have always ridden bikes and used to race mountain bikes many years ago for a local club in Maidstone called Lemmings, i then got a car, job etc and many years have passed since. I do still go out on the bike, currently have a GT Avalanche 1.0 which is great but i am now looking at road bike with a vew to using it in the evenings with a friend and in the summer 30 miles commute to work, maybe twice a week.

I initially was looking at the second hand market but after research have decided that it will be easier for me to get one on 0% finance over the year, works out around £30 a month, SWMBO will be happy with that too :wink:

So looking at around £600-£650, specifically the following bikes:

Specialized Allez Sport 27
Trek 1.2 Triple
GT Series 4
Just want to chuck another one into the mix - Cannondale CAAD 8 Sora Triple

I know there is lots of info out there on all of these bikes but i would like to get a feel from those of you who know the bikes, which is best and why. Help me choose.

Cheers
D

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Cannondale - much better frame than the others, and upgradeable over time. But only if it fits you as well (or better) than the others.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Everyone will have their own opinion based on their bike, their experience and their riding style.

That wont help you know what's best for you.

Find a good shop that stocks different brands of bikes so you can try things out. Get measured and find out what geometry will fit you (or research this online and work it out) , then browse the makes / models with suitable geometry.

Try different bikes, one of them will feel right. Go for what fits your body, your need and your budget rather than what brand you've read about.

Choosing by brand / paintwork / groupset should be secondary to fit & purpose.

There's lots of similar threads running recently, have a browse there for some more hints.

BTW, welcome the forum, enjoy.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Cannondale - much better frame than the others, and upgradeable over time.

Disagree.

It is well known that the Allez frame is as good as any, for the price and will take component upgrades up to and including Ultegra etc.

I know the same applies to the Trek, I looked at the Trek and researched this when buying my roadie.

I can't say one way or the other with the GT, my local GT stockist annoyed me, so it made it easy to go elsewhere and decide between the Trek and Spez (I went for an Allez Sport 27)

The main thing (We all agree on this one) is that the bike fits and suits you.

So it makes our opinion somewhat irrelevant! :roll: :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large