Bike pic section - "Custom" everything & W.I.P

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Why is it in the bike pic there are so many - insert bike name - "Custom" builds.

If it's not and OTP bike, then is a owner specced bike.

Custom is surely for a hand made bike where the frame is built to your spec, like an IF or a Curtis, not a normal frame with a range of every day components bolted to it.

Also whats with all the W.I.P threads, it's a bike not a classic car restoration!

Buy the bits, gather all you need, spend a few hours putting them on the frame and then take a picture or two, not every single delivery from CRC/Wiggle/Merlin requires a picture and documenting like it's a labor of love thats going to take months and months to complete :evil:

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    How mean are you!?!

:wink:
  • You'd have to be a right loser to do a WIP thread taking pictures of everything.... o wait...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Steve_b77
    You'd have to be a right loser to do a WIP thread taking pictures of everything.... o wait...

So both of my points apply then :shock:
  • No, what you're referring to is a custom built frame. That's something you've designed and had made to your specifications. Most bikes you buy are 'off the shelf' so come with specific forks and components. Plenty of people buy these bikes as they are good.

However, when fettling fever kicks in, you then choose the part that YOU want on the bike, therefore customising it, meaning it is no longer an 'off the shelf' bike, but a customised bike.

I will agree though that taking new pics just because you've bought a new headset can be strange, but meh, I enjoy reading and looking at it when i can.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    if its not standard spec its custom imo. my maxlight is an off the shelf frame, but i picked every component so i think its a custom build tbh.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    lawman wrote:
    if its not standard spec its custom imo. my maxlight is an off the shelf frame, but i picked every component so i think its a custom build tbh.

+1.

My pace is custom, bought the frame and built it to mys spec. Guaranteed there aint one the same anywhere so it's pretty custom.

WIP progress posts can be a bit boring and I suppose its a way of getting your post count up, but they would be better if they went into a little depth on the build, i.e, any stumbling blocks they came accross and how they got round it.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I think I'd just post pics randomly tbh and outline any major changes since the last time.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    well you know what to do if you don't like the threads :D ..don't read them! simples..
  • Steve_b77 wrote:
    Why is it in the bike pic there are so many - insert bike name - "Custom" builds.

not every single delivery from CRC/Wiggle/Merlin requires a picture and documenting like it's a labor of love thats going to take months and months to complete :evil:

that's the point - it #is# a labour of love.

Leave him to it - you don't have to read.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Steve_b77 wrote:
    You'd have to be a right loser to do a WIP thread taking pictures of everything.... o wait...

So both of my points apply then :shock:

Yep! :) plus I took it to a whole new level by adding pictures of cleaned up old parts...but that fits more in your "classic car restoration" definition!

I just like reading other people's so i did my own...all good fun, but each to their own :)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Steve_b77 Went off a bit there didn't you??

A custom build refers to riders specific choice of parts, on a frame only option. Or customisation of a 'once stock' bike with cherry picked parts.

You don't have to have a frame made by wood-nymphs in Scandanavia to call your rig custom. Not by a long shot. People here spend A LOT of money on their rides, whether they want to keep that quiet, or not; the choice is theirs.

People here like to do WIP threads, like to show there latest shiny part off. I am one of them so hence my 'getting involved' as normally I don't respond ot threads such as this. There's nothing wrong with it, and that is why the section was opened up.

If you don't like nor agree with them, don't read or open them. It's simple.

This is a community, and as such requires communal spirit... and appreciation.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have asked for my new scandal 29er to be sent to me in bits so I can build it.

Another WIP thread coming on me thinks :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • *runs of to capitalise the word 'custom' in thread*

oh and post count is up so double bonus :D

:roll:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    hyperman wrote:
    well you know what to do if you don't like the threads :D ..don't read them! simples..

+1
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    GHill wrote:
    hyperman wrote:

+1

+1 again
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i do think some of the wip threads are taking quite some time but loads of folk enjoy them so i dont see the harm.

as for the "custom build" tag, i think a bike which has had any of its parts replaced is customised so is custom.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    as for the "custom build" tag, i think a bike which has had any of its parts replaced is customised so is custom.

Sounds about right...

With your mentality Steve, a 'custom' car is one which has had its chasis and engine built to a custom plan specifically for the owner... :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I enjoy reading WIP threads, you get to see builds progress and chat about why people made certain decisions on why they bought X bit of kit for Y build, and it can help inspire you with your own builds etc.

You say it's not like it's a labour of love and that it will take months to complete, that's the point, it IS a labour of love and they CAN take months to complete. Look at damightychicken's P7 build, it's taken him ages to do, but when it's done, it will/should be perfect for him as he's gone for every top notch component he can.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Steve_b77
    Kiblams wrote:

Sounds about right...

With your mentality Steve, a 'custom' car is one which has had its chasis and engine built to a custom plan specifically for the owner... :lol:

A modified car is one that is a normal run of the mill car that has had a selection of aftermarket parts bolted to it.

And trust me I know rather alot about that
  • cus·tom 
    –adjective
    12.made specially for individual customers: custom shoes.
    13.dealing in things so made, or doing work to order: a custom tailor.

Modify
    –verb (used with object)
    1.to change somewhat the form or qualities of; alter partially; amend:

So it think

Its custom if you spec it yourself and its built to that specification, its modified if you by it as 'off the shelf' and then change parts
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Steve_b77

Dude, I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

My Shocker will always be Custom to me, I called it a Custom build, the LBS called it a custom build and Cove sometimes write they only do 'frame only' so customers can custom build.

Custom cars, do you think the owner spent a couple of months welding up a frame / monocoque? They take a Car, change bits to make it unique - A-la it's a Custom Car.

WIP, if you see WIP on a topic, it's up to you to read it, or ignore it. We're talking about people P&J. People are rightly proud of their bikes.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    hyperman wrote:

+1 again.
    bigmart wrote:
    So it think

Its custom if you spec it yourself and its built to that specification, its modified if you by it as 'off the shelf' and then change parts

So if you buy a frame and build it from scratch with various parts of your choice, it's neither custom or modified ?
  • I havealways thought custom spec refers to customer specification. Hence the main bit is standard but it has non standards parts. The customer has chosen their own.

WIP. I have done loads of things to my bikes, not to achieve the dream bike but thats what I think folk who post WIP are striving for.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • bigmart wrote:
    So it think

So if you buy a frame and build it from scratch with various parts of your choice, it's neither custom or modified ?[/quote]

That would be custom as you'd have bought and built to your spec, rather than bought a built up bike and started replacing bits