Windiest place on earth?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
My vote goes to western auz, why has no one ever mentioned the wind? :(
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Canary Islands must be up there - constant wind!
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    my vote goes for either Lufbra Uni student village, or Cape Town.....different in so many ways except that the wind pumps thru both

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Portrush NI
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • itboffin
    Portrush NI

been there it has nothing on Denham or Geraldton this wind is so strong it just wears you down thank feck I don't have to do anything other than eat & drink ;)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Wellington, New Zealand. Strong and gusty, It'll drive you mad after a while.
    Fuerteventura, Canary Islands. Strong but consistent so doesn't make you go too bonkers and is perfect for wind and kite surfing.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • How about something more local...

Mile End Road, London (On a Friday night commute home).

If the wind doesn't kill you, the cars definitely will. Luckily there's a hospital on the way :wink:

Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    WA well known in the sailing world as being breezy. It's all that cold water and hot land next to each other. If you don't like it you could always crawl out of bed before lunchtime when the wind gets switched on :-)

Riva del Garda in Italy also infamously windy (cafes all have plastic screens facing the lake) but sail 5 miles up the lake and it's often a flat calm...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    Put it this way I've had enough of this now, I'm ready to swap the 35c heat way for snow if I have to just to get away from the wind, it's blowing so hard I can't even hear the TV.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    WA well known in the sailing world as being breezy. It's all that cold water and hot land next to each other. If you don't like it you could always crawl out of bed before lunchtime when the wind gets switched on :-)

Riva del Garda in Italy also infamously windy (cafes all have plastic screens facing the lake) but sail 5 miles up the lake and it's often a flat calm...

Doesn't Fremantle have some sort of wind that comes in during the afternoon - "The Doctor"?

In any event, everyone knows that the windiest place on Earth is wherever you are on the way home on a Friday evening and there's a sodding headwind.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Apparently, it's Mt Washington, New Hampshire

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_h ... d_on_Earth
    Dudu wrote:
    Apparently, it's Mt Washington, New Hampshire

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_h ... d_on_Earth

They have a hill climb up there every year, too. Sickos!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Windy Corner on the Isle of Man is pretty windy, oddly enough.
  • itboffin
    Yeh Perth had what I'd call a breeze compared to this place, I've taken some video but it just doesn't do it justice. Trouble is it's all day and night no let up, ear plugs are the order of the night.

An another thing WA is by far the most expensive place I've ever been..... Bar none!!!
  • Surf-Matt
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Wellington, New Zealand. Strong and gusty, It'll drive you mad after a while.
    Fuerteventura, Canary Islands. Strong but consistent so doesn't make you go too bonkers and is perfect for wind and kite surfing.

Been to both and yep Wellington is damn windy too! Makes the crossing between islands a little bumpy.
  • Canary Wharf. If it's windy in London, there's a hurricane in Canary Wharf. That wind tunnel on the North Colonade is a killer!
  • Binley Road, Coventry

it's not like the wind is particularly fierce... it's just the uncanny way it always blows against you, whichever way you are going, whatever the time of day or weather forecast...
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Shetland Islands, it never stops................. :(
  • Wind was invented by Danes as an experiment to make the Skagen Peninsula uninhabitable.
    There's a sand dune up there that's moving at the rate of 10 metres a year (!) towards the east coast.
    Need a decent surface on your frame for a new paint job? You know where to go.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Behind me...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • and no ones mentioned Boffo's rear end after a night of the black stuff and curry...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Surf-Matt
    Canary Wharf. If it's windy in London, there's a hurricane in Canary Wharf. That wind tunnel on the North Colonade is a killer!

Used to live on the 6th floor of Anchorage Point (next to the Cascade thingummy) - it did whistle around rather a lot. Good views though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    It's basic Chaos Theory really

If ITB has a gazillion punctures in Wiltshire the wind speed increases in Auz. The air has to go somewhere!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Greenhow hill up in the Yorkshire Dales :shock: Or maybe somewhere in Cornwall, lands end of course! Have been to Hayle a few times and wow what a beach but had such a strong wind blowing at us. :lol: Very invigorating though!! But generally anywhere Cornwall/ Devon is good for wind! :oops:
  • Surf-Matt
    We do cop a fair bit down these 'ere parts.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Summit of El Tiede, Tenerife - nothing but 1000 miles of open ocean between there and the Americas
    Record in the UK is the Cairngorms - wind speeds in excess of 120mph
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Lanzarote........... spent two weeks riding into a head wind everywhere......
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    itboffin wrote:
    Put it this way I've had enough of this now, I'm ready to swap the 35c heat way for snow if I have to just to get away from the wind, it's blowing so hard I can't even hear the TV.

i know what yuou mean dude. the only reason to stop in geraldton is to get petrol on your way further north.
    its the windiest shittiest place on the planet and i FKN hate it.
    even the flies avoid it.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    dsharp7th wrote:
    Binley Road, Coventry

Yep. I live near there.

There's a bit of the university with a tall flat-sided building and a long walkway coming out of it that's covered on all sides. There's about a metre gap between the edge of the building and the start of the walkway - the wind hits the building, goes down and gets funnelled into the walkway making it constantly very windy and sideways-rainy. It's horrible.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    itboffin wrote:
    Yeh Perth had what I'd call a breeze compared to this place, I've taken some video but it just doesn't do it justice. Trouble is it's all day and night no let up, ear plugs are the order of the night.

An another thing WA is by far the most expensive place I've ever been..... Bar none!!!

Perth WA is the most remote city in the world hence why everything is so expensive. It either has to be flown, by boat or road train from Melbourne or Sydney.

You riding across the Nullarbor - respect.

You going for any records?

Windiest and most ferocious winds on the planet are in the Southern Oceans. Try cycling to the southern most southern tip in Patagonia. Down there boulders and cars routinely fly through the air in severe storms. Mind you the Caribbean and the Bay of Mexico can be pretty bad for wind ...............
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.