Touring the Peloponnese

borisface
borisface Posts: 273
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I'm planning a week tour of the Peloponnese in mid-April. Flying into Athens, getting train to Corinth and starting from there. Map has now arrived so into some serious planning. Aim to do c. 100k per day but this can be revised down if necessary as looking at the map it looks more mountainous that I had thought. Info is fairly scarce found a couple of websites but they don't seems to answer my specific questions. If anybodys been can you let me know

a) what is weather likely to be like (i.e. is it going to be very cold at altitude c. 1500m+ perhaps up to 2000m) in mid April will we be ok with long sleeves and a lightweight goretex?
b) is 100k per day realistic given the terrain - we're taking mtbs with panniers. I'm pretty fit, I do TTs, my companions don't. Planning a combination of on/off road but mainly on road.
c) Are dogs a problem?
d) Any tips/suggestions/places to avoid.

Thanks
Chris

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Hi borisface,
    Instead of the train to Corinth you might want to consider taking a boat from Piraeus to Poros, I think it be more pleasent and hastle free. It's cheap and if it's a nice day you can chill on deck and watch the islands go by. There is also a ferry going to Gythio (great town but much longer ride) you need to check the time tables.
    Mid April will be nice and mild for the climbs but there will be some showers.
    100kms per day is OK along the Nothern and Western coast but along the Eastern and Southern coast it might be too much with the hills. It's also very hilly inland.
    As for dogs we didn't have any problems while there but you never know, use some common sense if confronted with any. Sprey them in the nose with your water bottle if they give chase it usually works (never tried it in Greece but works good here in Holland).
    You need to be careful around Patra it's not very nice to cycle through unless its Saturday or Sunday morning too much traffic. The area around Kalamata airport is a bit rough with gipsy camps but after that bit it gets much nicer heading South towards the Western finger.
    Expect a lot of climbing but with fantastic views on the coastal road heading South from Kalamata (on the middle finger), the area is called Mani.
    Some more tips and pics on our page below.
    Any more questions let me know, cheers.