Custom pannier bolts?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Maybe a daft question but I've just received a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack for my 2010 Specialized Allez sport double.

Only problem is the bolts are too big for the lower mounting points, where is the best place to get these, bearing in mind they need to be strong and quite a specific fit!

Not sure if any bike shops sell these specifically for my bike/racers?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They should be standard M5 size - same as for bottle cages. I'd be surprised if your Allez used something smaller.
    More problems but still living....
  • iPete
    Luckily I came into work with one bolt and the bung that was tightly fitted into the frame, its not so obvious in the picture but the M5 bolt is quite a bit wider. I could probably take a head on shot if needed..

photo.jpg

And here is a picture of the frame from which the bung came.. just to check I'm not being daft, that is the correct mounting point because I can't see another...
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/B ... 3Small.jpg
  • That's just plain weird! They should be M5 as amaferanga says...

Hmmmm. You could pop to a bike shop I guess, ask them, but it seems unlikely that they'll have anything other than the bolts everyone else uses!

It's not that the hole has been painted excessively or something is it? Do the bolts fit into the top mounts?

There's always P-Clips if need be.
  • iPete
    That's just plain weird! They should be M5 as amaferanga says...

Hmmmm. You could pop to a bike shop I guess, ask them, but it seems unlikely that they'll have anything other than the bolts everyone else uses!

It's not that the hole has been painted excessively or something is it? Do the bolts fit into the top mounts?

There's always P-Clips if need be.

You might be onto something, think I'll try and be a little more force full when I get home tonight, could be excessive paint, as you say, it doesn't make much sense to have them a different size.

Maybe deep down I'm just being reluctant to pannier my roadie :lol:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Do you mean to big (as in diameter) or too long? I fitted a Topeak rack last year and the supplied bottom bolts bolts were 2-2.5cm long. I think it's to take into consideration disc fittings.

Your LBS may well give you a couple.

Bob
  • iPete
    Hi bob,

They appear to big in diameter, unless its just over-painting.

I'll report back tonight.

Pete
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    iPete wrote:
    Hi bob,

They appear to big in diameter, unless its just over-painting.

I'll report back tonight.

Pete

I seem to recall a mate of mine who bought a Tricross initially thought the holes were too small, but the M5 bolts did go in.
    More problems but still living....
  • 90% guess it's paint / threads need chasing out.

I'd be astonished if they weren't M5 threaded.

Bike shop can chase out the threads if required
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • iPete wrote:
    Maybe a daft question but I've just received a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack for my 2010 Specialized Allez sport double.

Pete,
    I've also got the 2010 Specialized Allez Elite & a Topeak Rack (not sure of model) the standard bolts DO Fit - it's just that the holes seem small , but the rack fitted just fine , bolts went in first time.

The only problem I had is that the paint seems to chip around the rack mountings - need to get some touch-up paint sometime.

Mike
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'd be very surprised if the holes were an odd size - as others have said, mostly likely just paint...
  • iPete
    Mikelyons wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Pete,
    I've also got the 2010 Specialized Allez Elite & a Topeak Rack (not sure of model) the standard bolts DO Fit - it's just that the holes seem small , but the rack fitted just fine , bolts went in first time.

The only problem I had is that the paint seems to chip around the rack mountings - need to get some touch-up paint sometime.

Mike

That's great to hear, I was probably a little to gentle last night as the bags arrive today and wanted to check it all fitted first for return purposes.

How do you find the bike with Panniers? How much load etc do you carry, toured with them or just commute?

My poor bike needs lots of touch up paint already, takes a beating around London :cry:

Thanks all,
    Pete
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I used some non-bike bolts with a spanner to clear out the threads. The holes can seem very tight due to paint, but will be standard size. You can also use some WD40 to lubricate the holes. As with all things don't force the bolts as you've thread the part, take it easy. Once you've tightened them all the way in, and then taken them out again the thread will be much easier to use

(I kept the non-allen key bolts on the wheel hub connections. Thought it less likely to be messed about with whilst locked up)
  • iPete wrote:
    How do you find the bike with Panniers? How much load etc do you carry, toured with them or just commute?

Thanks all,
    Pete

Hi Pete

I've never used more than one pannier, bike is only used for commuting & weekend rides.
    No handling problems with one full pannier (max load 10Kg) or empty.

Only problem I had was a few rattles, so I taped up the rack with some old padded handlebar tape which fixed the problem.

For weekend use, the rack comes off & the bike does feel more lively , but I haven't done
    any like-for-like comparison on my commute route.

Mike
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hm, I wish my Allez had rack mounts :/
  • iPete
    Aidy wrote:

What years yours? there are plenty of methods for getting around this if you don't...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    iPete wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

What years yours? there are plenty of methods for getting around this if you don't...

Err... not sure, I've got a rack mounted anyway, using one of those methods :)

It's just not as tidy as actually having rack mounts.
  • iPete
    ARRRGGGG, can you tell I'm having a fun friday night!! :lol:

Spent literally half an hour or more trying to get the bolts in the bottom mounting points, eventually bingo!! Not going to be overly confident in taking this off repeatedly in the future without destroying the threading.

Now the un-expected! My right side eyelet has decided to come loose so you can't screw anything in, it just spins in the frame!

Offending item, not sure if its possible to rip it out and put a new one in?!:
    IMG_0542.jpg

That issue aside, on the left side of the bike, the pannier bars that reach onto the frame don't fit around the brakes :evil:

IMG_0545.jpg

My options:

1) Give this pannier to my mate, it looks like it'll fit his trek 1.2 and buy maybe a TorTec Expedition Alloy Rear Rack, this looks like it has thin bars that might get around the break but then the right side eyelet is not functioning!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/TorTe ... 300003805/

2) Mount the damn thing to the bike just below the seat post, something like this?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/MPart ... 300005198/

Thoughts?

*breathes* :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've just got an axiom streamliner rack for my boardman with no mounts. The rack is attached through the qr and attaches to the brake bolt at the top. Bit of a PITA to change the rear wheel but piece of cake to fit the rack and it's rock solid. £25 from crc.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • If your eyelet's duff it seems the seat post clamp would be the cunningest of the above plans...
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Remove eyelet that is spinning in the tube and Araldite it in place or take to a good LBS/frame builder who will put a couple of welds either side to secure it. But be warned, welding involves heat which might spoil the paintwork in the local area. Or use a small p-clip? You will have to fashion a bracket or neatly bend the stay on t'other side to clear the brake cable. A vice should be sufficient to do this. With the lower bolt mounts make sure the threads in the frame are totally clean and the bolts turn easily, use a little bit of LM grease or Copperslip when you finally put them in as in one year's time you'll never get them out as they will have seized if you don't use any copperslip or grease on the threads. Don't over tighten the bots. Tighten just until the thread starts to say "no more" plus a tiny bit. You don't want to strip the threads. Why would you want to keep taking the rack on or off? I don't understand as it isn't a great weight :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • iPete
    I'd just want to remove it should I do a tt or something, although recon it'll be there to stay, living a carless life style & training for a fast tour. Thanks for all the tips!

LBS recon they can order a new eyelet and fit it but I'm going to go with the seat mounting option for now.

Will measure in on a minute but id imagine it's a 31.8 diameter post, anything better than this on the Market?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/MPart ... 300005198/

edit: specialized say it's 31.8, all systems go :)