Appauling roads conditions near Lewisham / Deptford

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
My daily commute take me through Lewisham and Deprtford and in the past 2 days 2 road riders I've been behind suffered blow outs due to the appauling conditions of the roads due to the snow and ice - hitting ruts etc.

I'm just glad I ride a mountain bike otherwise I'd be joining them.

Comments

• A rider on on a local blog reported having hit a rain-filled pot hole on Evelyn Street, and going over the bars (and buckled front wheel) only to head butt a bus stop. And that was before the snow! But yes, when standing water obscures the holes, road tyres don't have much of a chance. Mind you, there's a monster mole digging a hole up in Charlton - I only managed to miss it today because the wee beast has apparently installed its own drainage system in it, leaving it visible.
  • Yup - I almost went over on Evelyn Street this evening....Grrrr.... The roads seem to be getting worse

Where is the hole in Charlton - so I can keep an eye out.?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Do not think you are alone, all of London is full of pot holes !
  • spencer_uk wrote:
    Yup - I almost went over on Evelyn Street this evening....Grrrr.... The roads seem to be getting worse

Where is the hole in Charlton - so I can keep an eye out.?

On Charlton Road, near the top of Victoria Way, London-bound side of the road, just where a pedestrian crossing juts out into the road, narrowing your room for evasive manoeuvres.

Yep, Levi_501, you're right, the whole of London, the UK even, is full potholes. But we're the ones grumbling right now! There's room for your complaints too....
  • There are some dreadful holes along Whitechapel on the tube station side. I would report them but tbh it is the whole facking road..
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I p*nctured thanks to a water filled pothole last night, roads are totally f*cked atm.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    It's not isolated to any particular town. It's like this over much of the country.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The problem is that you can report these holes, but often the quality of the "repair" work is often pretty poor. One hole on my ride to work was huge enough to have a traffic cone sitting in it. After a week it was repaired. Two days later half of the filling was gone. A week later the filling was completely gone again. Even worse, the road surface to the right of it seems to be starting to sink as well.

I reported another hole on my route home from work. There is a long rut/trench that follows the direction of the road, which is pretty dangerous for people on bikes. I reported this trench and the fact it also included some holes within it. They have now partially filled the holes, but it is still so bad that you couldn't risk riding over/through it.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    You can ride around potholes and standing water you know, it is allowed.

Bob
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    beverick wrote:

Bob

No shit, sometimes, when it's dark and raining, these things can be hard to spot...

What is up with the drainage on Embankment ATM though, huge amounts of standing water all over the road.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    beverick wrote:

Bob

Not if there are cars passing you.
  • beverick wrote:

Bob

No shoot, sometimes, when it's dark and raining, these things can be hard to spot...

What is up with the drainage on Embankment ATM though, huge amounts of standing water all over the road.

indeed, which is why the rural roads are easier normally, as you can see and avoid, where as, in busy urban roads even at best you will crash though the odd pothole.

my commute bike is slow and has 38mm tires so just a bit of a jolt if I miss a hole, or rather don't miss!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gaz545 wrote:

problem is they're resurfacing on Brookmill Road, so they're pretty aware of it, it's horrible right now
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    gaz545 wrote:

I did this and they said they have contacted TFL. It takes 1 min.

I am finding it mentally exhausting at the mo with all the ruts, pot holes and general cr*p on the roads.

Really bored of winter,
  • gaz545 wrote:

Doesn't always work. I've reported this one in Wandsworth several times over the last year or so, and have now been mailing the council direct.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/16000/images/4879

They had the temerity to suggest it has now been repaired! I'm awaiting the next reply after I sent them this photo yesterday.

The roads do seem to be b****y awful at the moment with huge potholes. I think it's always the same after winter.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I probably saw around 150 considerable potholes yesterday, I mean around 4 inches deep, two metre long - at one point I felt like a slalom rider :wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    We have a slightly different problem around here. A few years ago they used chip-seal to resurface the roads. Now, this doesn't pothole nearly as much, so the two main roads ot of work are actually pothole free while other roads in the area suffer. Instead, the surface breaks up and becomes very patchy but only the very top layer.
    This is fine in a car, maybe a small bit more road noise, but nothing to worry about. On a bike though, it's terrible, you get rattled all over the place. I imagine it's like riding on cobblestones, badly laid cobblestones.
    Potholes are noticable and will get fixed. This surface is fine in a car so it's going to be way down the priority list.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    The utility firms seem to have a free hand to be able to dig up a good road and to then leave behind poorly filled lumpy repairs. There doesn't seem to be any audit of the cleanup.

Camberwell New Rd was resurfaced, which involved lots of awkward closures being done in sections, but when it was done it was a dream to ride along. Then after a few weeks a utility firm smashed up the whole thing and now it's a series of patches. The patches then wear into ruts or the potholes the OP mentioned.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Clever Pun wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

problem is they're resurfacing on Brookmill Road, so they're pretty aware of it, it's horrible right now
    And thats not even the worst bit, the corner of jerrard st and thurston road is appalling!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    davmaggs wrote:
    The utility firms seem to have a free hand to be able to dig up a good road and to then leave behind poorly filled lumpy repairs. There doesn't seem to be any audit of the cleanup.

Camberwell New Rd was resurfaced, which involved lots of awkward closures being done in sections, but when it was done it was a dream to ride along. Then after a few weeks a utility firm smashed up the whole thing and now it's a series of patches. The patches then wear into ruts or the potholes the OP mentioned.

Thing to change after the Revolution No 62:
    Utility companies to resurface the whole lane they dig up, not just the thin trench
    Thing to change after the revolution No 63:
    Utility companies to relocate their pipes to underneath the footpaths where possible
    Thing to change after the Revolution No 64
    Utility companies to relay the whole width of the footpath after they dig it up, not just the thin trench
    Thing to change after the Revolution No 65
    Investigate the rising cost of providing utilities.

Armed Revolution, The Only Solution!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clapham from Clapham South tube to Clapham Common - dreadful potholes. Happens every year, there are spots where teh drains block and there are just pools of standing water that create potholes, in the same spot every year.

Clapham Road from Oval to Clapham North, full of potholes.

Waterloo tube - Warterloo bridge is just a poorly laid road.

I'd hate to see what Streatham Highstreet looks like right now, on my old commute that really did get quite bad.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    There are some dreadful holes along Whitechapel on the tube station side. I would report them but tbh it is the whole facking road..

It could be a full time job reporting all the potholes. It would be easier to report the bits of road left between the potholes.
  • Does anybody know whether the fixthathole site is more effective than TfL's site (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/rep ... fault.aspx) for London's potholes? I just noticed that the London Cycling Campaign are listing the TfL one.