Hayes 9

m3trackboy
m3trackboy Posts: 97
edited February 2010 in MTB general
It seems that Hayes 9 brakes come in for a lot of stick on various forums. The main complaints being they are a nightmare to bleed and feel spongy. is this just people arnt bleeding them properly or is there bigger problem. I have a second hand set and have yet to fit them, the Hayes instructions look fairley simple to follow.

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    mine are GREEEEEEAT :)

couldnt be more pleased with them
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • Got Hayes 9 front and rear on my bike. 180mm upfront and 160 on the rear. Had them for about 5month now and realyl like them. Front one did need some fiddling to setup but that was the first time I had ever used disk brakes. Bled them once which was easy if you take your time and follow the instructions.
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    took me ages to bleed one the first time
    but once set up they are really really strong brakes!
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    PS forgot to mention both mine (Front and rear) are on 203mm Disks.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    m3trackboy wrote:
    It seems that Hayes 9 brakes come in for a lot of stick on various forums. The main complaints being they are a nightmare to bleed and feel spongy. is this just people arnt bleeding them properly or is there bigger problem. I have a second hand set and have yet to fit them, the Hayes instructions look fairley simple to follow.

yes. this is exacly the problem.

they take a bit more patience to bleed than some others so people generally don't bleed them properly, but once they are done, they are fine.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thanks for the feedback
    I think its people rushing the bleeding and setup that cause the problems.
    I’ve got 203 rotors so should be awesome. How much fluid does it take for an average bleed, thinking of getting a syringe instead of the rip off price for a plastic bottle?
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Hi
    I have Hayes 9's on my bike and would love a copy of the instructions on how to bleed them if anyone has some
    I find them great stoppers an I am not the lightest rider pushing high 15 stone :oops: I have 180 rotors front an rear
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Have HFX9 on the Kona and no complaints, they work well even with 160mm rotors, offer lots of modulation and have never required a bleed. I do recommend EBC sintered pads for them.
    No complaints from me on the Hayes squeezers, they do what's asked of them and I think they're great

To be honest they don't compare to the Avid Juicys I had on my FS (which in now upgraded to Avid Codes) though and I do prefer the modulation of the Avid product, however the Juicys covered less mileage and did require a bleed!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I have a set of Hayes HFX9 HD, think they are some of the nest brakes I have used.

I found them simple to bleed, very powerful and easy to use.

Don't get why people have issues?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Incorrect bleeding!

Read an article where a lrge syringe was used with a small piece of flexi tube to suck out the old fluid then inject the new. I followed the instructions in the manual and still had air in mine. Can't remember what the manual and youtube said re bike position but think it was to be done with front higher than rear. When I turned bike rear end up in stand air cleared and bleed was fine so I would make sure to move bike about ie onto front wheel and then onto rear to be sure. Easy enough in a stand but unless you have five arms not so easy on your own!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013