BBC bloke does epic ride

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 522019.stm
The Beeb wrote:
Record-breaking cyclist Mark Beaumont has finished his mammoth journey across the Americas from Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cool. Ta for posting. DVR is on standby...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Has LiT committed a punctuation fail in the topic title or am I missing something?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Was a perfect storm of the 2008 Olympics, the TDF and Marc's first documentary about his world circumnavigation which inspired me to get back on the bike after a 12 year gap.

Looking forward to the programme

Thanks for posting

It's also amuses me no end that he rode around the world on one of these hybrids which everyone claims are so uncomfortable.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm hoping to go and see his talk in Morecambe next month. Must remember to book.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Has LiT committed a punctuation fail in the topic title or am I missing something?

??
  • To wheezymcchubby, i dont think mark done the world tour on a hybrid mate as you put it, it was a KOGA SIGNATURE, afantastic bike and a little bit better than a hybrid, so shame on you Mr Mcchubby for calling a KOGA a hybrid.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Okay

Fair enough

An expensive hybrid
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Okay

Fair enough

An expensive hybrid

:lol::lol::lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Want to set the PVR but the EPG won't go that far into the future :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Okay

Fair enough

An expensive hybrid

:lol::lol::lol:

It's a fair comment. Don't think anyone could 'race' around the world on a road/race bike. But that said, expensive hybrid != uncomfortable hybrid. Cheap hybrid = uncomfortable hybrid.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yeah Kudos to Mark, I've been following his adventures on Twitter since the start, epic just about covers it. Now if only he would join the SC Stats, that'd shut some folk up! :lol:
  • _Brun_ wrote:

:lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I LIKE THE WAY LIV IS PUNNING ON OTHER THREADS ABOUT GOING TO EPIC CYCLES KTHXBYE
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Funny thing is, on the BBC website page reporting the news yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 522019.stm

There is a link to the corresponding news article of when Mark finished his round the world trip:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 256730.stm
    "Once I have recovered I will set myself a new challenge," he said.

"I don't know where that will take me - but it won't be on a bicycle.

"I don't think I can cycle any further."
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Surely it is a tourer and not a hybrid!?! (though surely they are much in the same anyway?)
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    It's also amuses me no end that he rode around the world on one of these hybrids which everyone claims are so uncomfortable.

It confused me, until I realsied it was for largely the same reason the motorbikers do it. Bear with me, this works in my head right now, but might not actually make a whole lot of sense.....
    He, like the motorbikes, has quite a lot of weight to turn with those handlebars, what with the panniers etc The other round-the-world cyclist guy had battery chargers etc on his bars.
    The wider the bars the less actual force is needed to turn them, which when you have a fair bit of wight on them is probably a good thing. It should also make them more stable at barely-balancing speed as you can put reactive force on quicker. You don't really get drop bars that are that wide.
    That, especially over a long duration ride of a few weeks, outweighs the advantages of drop bars. I don't think too many commuters ride completely laden bikes for weeks at a time though, so I don't think his reasonings apply to much.

Does that make sense?