Makeshift Bicycle stand?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
Hi, I was fiddling with my gears this weekend after washing the bicycle. It's very difficult to get it right without a bicycle stand as the derailleur behaves slightly different when upside down.

Anyone got any suggestions for a makeshift bicycle stand for those too poor to buy one?

Cheers! :P

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    curium wrote:
    Hi, I was fiddling with my gears this weekend after washing the bicycle. It's very difficult to get it right without a bicycle stand as the derailleur behaves slightly different when upside down.

Anyone got any suggestions for a makeshift bicycle stand for those too poor to buy one?

Cheers! :P

An Ironing board?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    You need a "Wife". She holds the rear end off the deck whilst you c0ck around with your gears for half an hour.

I found you can only use this makeshift arrangement once before it gets bored :)

Otherwise, piece of rope tied from a branch or rafter if you have open garage roof like me, loop in the end, nose of saddle through it and away you go.
  • Endorse the rope idea - have a hook in my kitchen ceiling which I used to loop the rope over.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    blackhands wrote:
    Endorse the rope idea - have a hook in my kitchen ceiling which I used to loop the rope over.
    There's no way on this planet my girlfriend would allow me to stick a hook in the ceiling to hang my bike on!

I'll have to see if I can rig up a contraption in the garden using the clothes line...
  • http://www.topeak.com/products/Storage/FlashStand

i have one of these they are about £25 ish it does the trick
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    If you have a Decathlon near you (I don't think they do mail order), these cost £5.95.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sv-101-bike-rack-3957901/

Brilliant little device.

Cheers,
    tonys