Various commuting methods, and their times

2»

Comments

• Went for an interview today in the building next to the one I used to work in. I remember now why I gave up public transport.
    Got thrown off the train at Barking because the driver could not open the doors from his cab. DLR not running to Limehouse because of signal/points problems in the Canary Wharf area.
    Other than that it was
    Bike 16.5 miles 1:20
    or
    Bus/train/Jubilee Line or bus/train/DLR 45 minutes on a good day :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Cycling - 16.5 miles. Quickest I've done it is 45 minutes when really, really going for it...
    Bus/train - Around an hour into the city centre, 15 minutes back out to my final destination.

Don't drive and walking would be silly.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    bike - depends on route and time i get up

4 miles - 14 minutes (only ever do if running late)
    8.5 miles - 31 minutes average
    14 miles - 54 minutes
    24 miles - 1hr 30 minutes - Summer commute

Walking - 1hr 20 mins

Public transport - not done it as i refuse, hate the stuff

Car 10 minutes with traffic

Main thing is everytime its on bike i arrive with a smile on my face :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    andy83 wrote:
    bike - depends on route and time i get up

4 miles - 14 minutes (only ever do if running late)
    8.5 miles - 31 minutes average
    14 miles - 54 minutes
    24 miles - 1hr 30 minutes - Summer commute

Walking - 1hr 20 mins

Public transport - not done it as i refuse, hate the stuff

Car 10 minutes with traffic

Main thing is everytime its on bike i arrive with a smile on my face :)

I think that's the point really :)
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    12 miles Ealing - City

Bike - 45 minutes + 5 to 10 mins faffing at each end, lets call it an hour

Tube - an hour + 30 mins walking at each end - hour an a half + deep depression

Car - never tried but am sure it would be at least 2 hours in each direction on a good day. + another hour looking for somewhere to park + another hour to walk back to the the office + rage, frustration, blood pressure through the roof.

Walking - all day. Might be quite relaxing though.

Only real drawback to cycling is the enormous cost of my out of control bike obsession.
  • 2 miles so.

bike 10/15mins
    walk 30mins ish
    car 15-30mins
    public transport no direct bus or train so 30mins or so.

during icy weather car needs a extra 10 mins to clear.

the bike is a nicer and cheaper transport.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Bike - 3.5 miles - 15 mins

Bus - 3.5 miles - at least 30 mins, depending on traffic and which bus I get, and £1.70 each way

Train - well I suppose I could, it'd be 5-10 mins, but it's a 20 min walk to the station

Car - haven't got one but I'd say 20 mins

Walk - 3 miles - only walked to work once, last month when the roads were ice-bound, took 60-70 mins

Bike wins :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Interesting:
    Beckenham to Gt. Portland St W1 - about 12.5 to 13 miles depending on route taken:
    - Cycling 50 mins in, 55 mins back- probably due to net descent going in and crappy 1 way system in the west End. (Excuses for crap times = 2 decent size hills each way, loads of traffic lights that are always on red :wink: )

- Public transport: walk/train/tube/walk again - 1 hr in, 1hr 10 back (different routes)

- Drive - No way José but probably 1 hr 15 at that time in the morning

- Walk - No idea, 3-4 hours?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    My commute's either 2.1 miles (shorter but twistier route) or 2.5 (longer but straighter).
    Bike- 10-12 mins, usually about 12 thanks to lights, braindead drivers etc
    Bus: 15 minutes. If I don't have to wait for it. And at 8.30-9.30, I have to wait for it...fail.
    On foot: 35-40 mins.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • This one really can vary for me as I work at some many sites!
    The furthest I need to head when coming towards town is when I'm working at Westferry Circus down in Docklands which gives me a nice 12.5 mile ride heading out from South Norwood.

I usually allow just over an hour for this to give me a chance to arrive, lock-up and get changed.

I've never tried using PT for this one but have driven in and it takes around the same time if I'm lucky but I do hate sitting in traffic!

The places I work that I *might* get the train to involve either a 10 or 15 minute walk to one of the local train stations, 20-30 minutes on the train and then 10-15 minutes walk at the opposite end and that's just ones I can get to via 1 train (only 2 or 3) which means the others will need me to change and get underground/another train which I also hate (more waiting around!)

At least with my bike I have a pretty much fixed commute time (varies by maybe a few minutes depending on how hard I push, traffic etc) but I arrive at work feeling so much better then having spent the last hour sitting on a train :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bike trip under 6 miles, 28 mins all red lights complied.
    Car trip under six miles, anywhere between 15 and 45m, leaving 7:55am. No way under 20mins in the evening.
    Bus 1H05 including walks to/from stop/s a.m., more like 1H30 in the p.m.
    Bed to desk is nominally 1H20 car or bike taking shower and breakfast into account

Car trip includes two junctions that are so finely tuned that they jam up for the smallest reason; add to that endless local water main works (about nine months and counting) and the car is nothing but a frustration. I usually drive with a stack of fresh gear to wear one day a week, but I feel more than a bit gormless when I choose the very day that Henlys Corner gets locked up! I've been doing this for long enough now that the car is actually outside my comfort zone.
    On the flip side, bike = set up and energised in the morning plus happy camper arriving home in the evening.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Cycling 10 miles -35-40 mins .It is a country commute and has some hills along the way ,then the last mile ish via the cycle path running along the A38 to the A38/A50 junction.

car 10 miles- 25 mins same route.

walking - er I would never try it as it is unlit roads for maybe a good half of the route.

No public transport what so ever to where i work so i can not comment on that .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Clapham - C Wharf
    Public Transport: 15 min walk / 10 min train / 20 min tube / 5 min walk = 50ish. When it works.
    Bike: 40-45 mins. And you get to go for a ride.

Not really a hard decision (when it isn't sh!tting down)
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • for me it's the following,

walk - public transport-walk = about 65 mins
    10mile Drive = 30 - 45 mins depending on traffic
    11.5 mile Cycle = 35-45mins depending on weather.

Almost always choose the bike as if the traffic is really bad it can be over an hour in the car especially with the new road works near the office. When i'm on the bike traffic isn't too much of a problem.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Cycling 12.5 miles (13 in snow/ice) 45-60 mins each way (slower in snow/ice) but reliable
    Car 13 miles (30-60 mins but major traffic jams abut twice a quarter with long delays)
    Bus 12 miles + 1 mile walk (about 90 mins and £4.70 per day) (2 per hour)
    Train 12 miles +2 miles walk (about 90 mins and £8.00 per day) (1 per hour)

The bike is the most reliable and means we can be a single car family, saving on that too.

It is also more fun, I actually enjoy my commute.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hmmm.

21 miles to the office:

Bike is 1h 3m - 1h 25m depending on everything, so bed to desk including wash & change is about 2 hours.

Car is 35-40 minutes, bed to desk anything from an hour upwards.

The return is a bit harder being more uphill so generally add at least 5mins on, for cycling.

Upshot is that biking adds 2 hours to the working day; that's ok in the summer but a bit of a bind in the winter, esp when it's cold, dark & raining at 6:30 in the morning. You know what? I actually don't fancy it at the minute. Roll on summer.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    I actually enjoy my commute.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there :-) For me it's not about saving time and money is a moot point as I'm in the rather lucky position of being able to claim back mileage and PT fares from my employer :-D I really do love riding my bike so getting out on it for 2 hours a day (if riding into town) is a no-brainer!

Besides it's difficult to SCR on the train :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Two viable options:

1. Bike - 15.4 miles - 1 hr
    2. Train/tube/walk - never done my route, but estimate 1hr 20 mins at best.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 7 miles through city centre but with significant bike lanes.

1. Bike, 35 minutes summer 45 minutes in the snow. Door to door. Significant short cut by harbour.
    2. Public Transport, train then bus. Stop one stop before the stop by my office to avoid adding a "zone" to my ticket price. About 45 minutes travelling, 15-20 minutes walking and between 5 and forever waiting on the damn things. Also I never get a seat.
    3. Car, 20 minutes on clear roads maybe. Don't actually have a license.