3Shires Sportive - Cheshire Deryshire Staffordshire 18 April

2»

Comments

• benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Still waiting on information to be emailed. :cry: What is going on 5 days to go and nothing .. :? :? :?
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    e-mails came through yesterday including links to gpx and tcx files

most of the other info has been up on the web site for a few days

looking forward to it, should be decent weather

summer bike, maybe even shorts :o
  • Looking forward to it too although couldn't get the gpx to work (on a mac). Hopefully the arrows will be still around, otherwise i'll be using the text directions (almost like a treasure hunt).

Registration seems a bit early on the email 7.30-8.00am, the website ws giving you until 8.45am.
  • berrya
    berrya Posts: 23
    dodgy directions, post it note size signs....where did it all go wrong.....anyway, still enjoyed the route loads.....
  • berrya
    dodgy directions, post it note size signs....where did it all go wrong.....anyway, still enjoyed the route loads.....
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Good day out signs a bit small to see but good spread at the feed zone.Good course and that last bit at the end what a sting in the tail just kept going. 62 mile in 4.05 was happy with that and the weather, will come back next year.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • signs were ok, better that some events i've done before (bit of confusion at the top of Biddulph moor).
    Feed stop was good, energy drinks, fruit, malt loaf and tea.
    Only gripe i have was at the end, no signing off, so no official time?

But overall a good day out with a brutal climb near the end!

Def. back next year
  • moolarb
    I thought that was a great sportive. Good value for £15 with plenty of food and drink at the feedstation. I agree that some of the signs were a bit hard to spot. I took a wrong turn near Biddulph and got hopelessly lost. Didn't mind too much though as the weather was gorgeous.

I know the area quite well and the organisers did well to plan a route that had some challenging climbs whilst avoiding the really stupidly steep ones.

Hope to be back next year. Better than the Cheshire Cat and half the price!
  • 3Shires
    3Shires Posts: 27
    Thanks for all your thank you e-mails last night - makes it worth all the hard work. I don't know about you riders - I'm absolutely shattered this morning after a 3am finish Sat night / Sunday morning and a 5am start yesterday. And I didn't turn a pedal all weekend!

Quite a few riders got carried away and paid insufficient attention to the route and missed out the Mow Cop / Biddulph Moor route. A risk for us by doing a loop-based ride (we did this to give bail-out options for inexperienced riders in the event of poor weather); the signage was there for the middle loop but a fair few riders missed it. Then, as is the way with these things, one thing led to another and the riders who missed the middle loop got back to the finish before us! So we decided to dispense with the timings etc.

Virtually all the proceeds went to charity - I think the expenses worked out at under £2 per head for the website, marketing costs, posters, event correx, gantry, entry forms, event numbers, route signs, feedstation, cable ties etc etc. So thanks you guys - you raised an awful lot of money for charity.

ps probably the nicest story I heard on the day was from someone who got cramp on the course. Someone came out from their house in the remote countryside to give him some water. The resident also happened to be a qualified sports masseur and gave him a massage before getting him on his way!

I'll write a report to put on the website but, for now, thanks again to all for your support.

Andy
  • mhlewis
    mhlewis Posts: 3
    I am one of the ones who missed out the loop. I didn't know there was a loop, or might have paid more attention! I only realized that I had gone wrong when I saw the handwritten sign with the Wincle Minn statistics, and saw that my mileage was 10 miles too low!
    Even so, it was a fantastic day and a superb ride. Next year I will try and do the whole thing! . . . especially if you can post a map of the route beforehand . . .
  • berrya
    Despite having a GPS on board i still managed to miss the second loop.

I have posted the link below to show you my route. GPS didnt start working straight away and kept it on for a while after, but managed 52mile or so in 3hrs 12mins aprox......

Not bad considering i quit smoking 4 weeks ago and this was my first bash at a sportive. Was one of the first finishers too (from the short route)

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/32639

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/32639/full.gif

http://ridewithgps.com/photos/snapshots ... -32639.jpg
  • moolarb
    Anyone know if there are photos available from this event?

I saw one photographer on the course who got a few shots of me. I'm guessing he's gonna want to make a few £££
  • berrya
    I emailed the photographer and he said this:

Hi Alexander,

Good timing, the photo's have just gone on! Follow this link to get to them. All the prices are there and the facility to buy them.

http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/tenei ... ms/events/

The password is 'peak'

Hope I managed to get a decent shot of you!

I will be getting an email out to all the riders soon and a link will go onto the 3 shires website but if you have friends who did the ride then please could you forward these details on to them too.

Cheers.

Alex Wright
    Photographer

teneight
    Fence House
    84 Buxton Road
    Macclesfield
    SK10 1JS

01625 500 488
    www.teneightstudios.co.uk

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
  • moolarb