France Vendee Routes?

bob1965
bob1965 Posts: 27
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi Im going on a family holiday by car and cycling this year to Vendee, St Jean De Mont, Does anyone have any good routes down that way?? also where is the best place to buy my maps for car and bike?

Comments

• I went on holiday to St. Jean for about 5 years in a row, and the terrain is just flat, flat, flat in the Marais marshlands, so if you are looking for hills you may have to settle for going over the bridge to Noirmoutier a few times (I think a TdF stage did start there a few years back so if you could look that up, it may give you some ideas).

I just grabbed a map from the local tourist office and headed out on big loops taking in a few villages. I was on a battered, old and borrowed mountain bike that was far too small for me and was fairly limited time wise so never really ventured more than 20 miles. But it can get very hot and there is not much in the way of shelter or shops out in the wilds, so take plenty of water and smother yourself in sun cream.

It is a great place for family holidays though and if you are looking for a good beach with plenty of waves to swim in, rock pools for the kids to play in and a cafe right next to the beach go to Bretignolle-sur-Mer just down the coast.

Have a good time.