Are you an Ulrich or an Contador?

Dazza2280
Dazza2280 Posts: 156
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Being quite new to cycling, (it was watchin last years tour that got me into it) i watched AC and figured, yeah, spin the pedals, low gear high cadence, thats the way to do it, and have been trying that with varying degrees of success. However, went out last night, came down a hill in the big gear (50 x 12) and decided to try and stay in it for as long as possible, even uphill, but i was amazed at the speed i was getting on the flat, with relatively slow cadence. As such, i think i'm now converted to spinning that big gear from now on :shock:

Comments

• I'm a hybrid of them (esp' up hill) low gear & low cadence.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Ullrich. Much as I try the high cadence method, I just prefer to pound a big gear.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'd say Im an Ullrich in that I love eating and grimace horribly everytime the road goes up.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'm a combination of both - i slowly churn a low gear :)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    definitely ullrich....over winter due to a lack of training and after remembering how nice junk food is, i managed to gain a stone!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    redvision wrote:
    definitely ullrich....over winter due to a lack of training and after remembering how nice junk food is, i managed to gain a stone!

As in 14lbs? Not an extra bollock?

Blimey, that's a lot of Christmas spread!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • redvision
    what can i say?...the christmas pudding was good!

plus, figure this way i will come back and finish 2nd in the tour! :lol:
  • redvision wrote:
    plus, figure this way i will come back and finish 2nd in the tour! :lol:

Thats what disappointed me about finding out last night, i'll never win the Tour :lol:
  • redvision
    you sound depressed - may i recommend xmas pudding! :lol:
  • my pb on my training loop was set the day after a large deep pan meat feast! Big Pizza and big gears...its the future
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • redvision
    i like the sound of that!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Can't stand Contador, so definitely Ullrich.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06012009/ ... lrich.html

My favourite is Fabian Cancellara though - his performance in last year's World Champs TT was simply awesome.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Dazza2280 wrote:
    Being quite new to cycling, (it was watchin last years tour that got me into it) i watched AC and figured, yeah, spin the pedals, low gear high cadence, thats the way to do it, and have been trying that with varying degrees of success. However, went out last night, came down a hill in the big gear (50 x 12) and decided to try and stay in it for as long as possible, even uphill, but i was amazed at the speed i was getting on the flat, with relatively slow cadence. As such, i think i'm now converted to spinning that big gear from now on :shock:

Yes, yes - but what was the speeeeed?!!??! (on the flat)
  • At first I started off with a cadence of 65 this then drifted towards 75-80 after a month with the road bike. That's my "natural" cadence, if I don't try and train myself to cycle higher I will end up in that area.

I've tried since January cycling in smaller gears faster. All I've found is that I get the same average speeds but I've lost all my explosiveness. Back to grinding now. It's more fun pretending to be Ullrich then Contador anyway :D
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Valy wrote:
    Dazza2280 wrote:

Was sitting at around 18 - 19mph, just turning the pedals over, no real effort!! :shock:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Thats pretty much the same as saying, would you rather devour mens souls, and crush their spirit with your mighty quads, or prance around like a fairy complaining at your team mates.

waa waa waa.

+1 Jan.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    In my head I'm a dancer, in my legs I'm der Kaiser!!! Sit and grind.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Valy
    Dazza2280 wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    Dazza2280 wrote:

Was sitting at around 18 - 19mph, just turning the pedals over, no real effort!! :shock:

WEll, could not that just be down to the momentum from the decent? :lol:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I'm forever trying to keep my cadence up around the 80-90 mark but I find this very difficult on steep hills. It's not about running out of gears, more that I have this dread of the front wheel coming off the ground. Things seem that unbalanced.

Maybe this would not happen in reality, it's just the thought of it just gets into my head when I least need the distraction. So it's out of the saddle for me and down to 60-ish when that happens.
  • Valy
    What is the whole issue with having higher or lower cadence? Is it a certain training technique? I mean, it only makes sense to have a cadence whihc feel the most comfortable/lets you go the fastest.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Jan is a hero

12644125878607999015397.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    nolf wrote:
    Thats pretty much the same as saying, would you rather devour mens souls, and crush their spirit with your mighty quads, or prance around like a fairy complaining at your team mates.

waa waa waa.

+1 Jan.

:lol::lol: