Somewhere to clean / hose down the bike in Bristol?

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hey all - as I will be cycling in to Bristol but want to keep the bike in tip top shape, is there anywhere I can give it a quick hose down and wipe before I wheel it in to the office each day?
Obviously, free would be the preferred option - just a hose somewhere I can get the worst of the muck off.

It doesnt matter if it's in town or around the outskirts as I will be pretty much across town anyway.

Thanks all
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    So you plan to ride a downhill run on the way to work everyday?
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Hey - I won't be doing the whole run on the bike. Drive to the outskirts and then cycle the last few miles, depending on which office I am in that day (town centre, Filton, etc)
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • Danlube
    Hey - I won't be doing the whole run on the bike. Drive to the outskirts and then cycle the last few miles, depending on which office I am in that day (town centre, Filton, etc)

I was actually joking, so you actually plan to do a dh run on the way to work? getting covered in mud?
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Hey all - as I will be cycling in to Bristol but want to keep the bike in tip top shape, is there anywhere I can give it a quick hose down and wipe before I wheel it in to the office each day?
    Obviously, free would be the preferred option - just a hose somewhere I can get the worst of the muck off.

It doesnt matter if it's in town or around the outskirts as I will be pretty much across town anyway.

Thanks all

christ, where are you riding to think your bike will get that dirty you'd need to clean it before getting into work?

lock it up to a lamp post, run in and get a bucket of warm soapy water :D

the m32 service station near cabot circus might have a jet wash (stand well back from said bicycle)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Danlube

the m32 service station near cabot circus might have a jet wash (stand well back from said bicycle)

No, do not use a jetwash!
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why do you need to clean the bike anyway? Just wait til you get home in the evening and hose it down then.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks all

The reason I have to give it a clean is that it will be wheeled through the office and then chained up somewhere out of the way. Even if its dripping dirty water, work won't like that too much

Don't really want to use the jet wash a) it costs and b) not good for the bike if used on bearings, etc....
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Drink plenty of water on your way in and then pi$$ on it outside the office :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Danlube wrote:

No, do not use a jetwash!

pah, jetwashing is fine for the frame so long as you're sensible and don't do things like bearings. standing 20 feet away is also a good idea.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Buy a garden spayer,fill with water and leave near work?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Buy a garden spayer,fill with water and leave near work?

Good call - I have one of those and it cost about a tenner in Lidl, perfect solution!!
  • I have seen those garden sprayers - less brutal than a jet / powerwash, what are they like, anyone used this one?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... earch=true

Seems to be a compromise, dont you think?
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I have seen those garden sprayers - less brutal than a jet / powerwash, what are they like, anyone used this one?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... earch=true

Seems to be a compromise, dont you think?

I've been using a garden sprayer for a couple of years. Gets the worst of the crud off after a muddy ride and watch people staring enviously when you're in a trail centre carpark washing your bike off in 2 minutes while they're still queueing for the bike wash!!!!!. Paying £15 from B&Q is madness tho, your local cheap shop will have them for no more then £5 (BN Stores, Poundstretcher etc)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Thanks all

The reason I have to give it a clean is that it will be wheeled through the office and then chained up somewhere out of the way. Even if its dripping dirty water, work won't like that too much

Don't really want to use the jet wash a) it costs and b) not good for the bike if used on bearings, etc....

Or you could do a ride AFTER work and clean it at home?
  • Halford sell one for less than a tenner. Look in the power washer section. I use it after a muddy ride, but I don't really get why you'd use it. Does your company have nowhere to park the bike?
    How is it better you pushin a bike through the office dripping normal water as opposed to dirty water? I say make friends with the cleaner, and get him to follow you whilst you park it up.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    How about dipping it in the docks - or the waterfalls on the centre? :lol: