Hayes MX4 cable disc brakes poor stopping power question

Hadagan
Hadagan Posts: 72
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

I have bought a Giant Yukon FX3 full suss with these brakes and the front one is very poor

I live too far away from the shop I bought it from on the .net ( paulscycles ) so i cant just take it back

The back disc brake locks up just fine and good but I can pull on the front brake and still pedal in 2nd gear ( middle ring front ) and 3,4 on the back

Is that right that I should be able to do that?

I have read on mtr forums that people say these brakes are great but at the moment my canti front brake on my 16 year old bike is better

I have adjusted them via the MX3 manual, and what it says here .......... http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

I have also swapped around the rear and front pads but still the front brake power is poor

I have done 30 miles on the bike now. A mix of some DH and some XC so it should be bedded in by now right ?

Thanks in advance for any advice as this forum is invaluable to me

Regards

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like more bedding in. and maybe some adjustment needed make sure the static piston is as close as possible to the rotor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your reply

The static pad is as close as poss without rubbing constantly
  • u nailed it nicklouse.
    STEER INTO IT!
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Hi Hadagan

I bought the same bike from Paul's Cycles as well. I didn't have any problems with the pads until about 2-2.5 months down the line. I haven't had a chance to really test the machine because of the studies right now, but it seems you have pushed yours a bit. In my case, the pads became mirror-smooth after those 2.5 moths. Prior to me knowing that the state the pas are in is wrong, i swapped them around, adjusted the piston and tension, but nothing helps and at higher speeds the brakes slowly transform my bike in to death on wheels. I think the stock pads are rubbish and asking for a replacement. I'm looking for one right now, although i'm not sure which ones are worth going for.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    i havent got a front brake all at the moment :D