West Lothian routes

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited February 2010 in Routes
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some routes around the west lothian are as i dont always have the time to get to Glentress or others due to family stuff.

If anyone has any routes they want to share I'd be delighted to try them out, just got a new Merida 120fs, and im not doing it justice.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looking for routes?

wrong section.

Moved. to routes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tvi_82
    tvi_82 Posts: 32
    hey mate, i just got CLICK THIS little book...... i recommend getting it!

As i stay in Motherwell there are a few places in the central belt i would like to try.

Carron valley being no1

The pentland hills (penicuik)
    Fife coastal path (fife)
    Dumyat of the Ochils (dumyat/stirling)
    Mugdock and the campsies (glasgow)
    Gleniffer braes (glasgow)
    West highland way
    cathkin braes

But it all depends on how far you want to travel.
  • I'm Falkirk area and have recently returned to this game so I'm keen to find routes too. Luckily Carron Valley is pretty close but I am hoping to go to various places around the Stirling area to save getting bored with Carron.

Thanks for the link. :)

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • Within West Lothian itself, Beecraigs near Linlithgow is pretty good if you explore the woods a bit. Also not too far from Linlithgow is Muiravonside which is also worth a look around.

Like others have said, Carron Valley is quite near west lothian and is definitely worth trying out.

If you want to travel a bit further then the Pentlands and Ochils are also full of really good trails.
  • The Ochils are near me. Have you got any pointers where to go there? (Where to find the start etc.)

I'll look at Beecraigs and Muiravonside too, they're very close as well.

Thanks mate. :)

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • My favourite ride in the Ochils was up Ben Cleuch. Started in Tillicoultry, headed down to Alva through the woods then up the path towards Ben Ever (bit of a slog!), then over the top of Ben Cleuch towards Andrew Gannel Hill before following an excellent bit of singletrack along the side of the valley back towards Tillicoultry. Quite a short loop but it's great fun.

Dumyat is also a pretty good ride but usually quite busy with walkers.

Just remembered about Blairadam forest at Kelty in Fife. Some really good stuff there but I would recommend going with someone who's been before as it's very easy to get lost and miss the best bits.
  • Thanks for that! :)

Sorry for hijacking the original thread. I'll bugger off now! ;)
    Why so serious?
  • thanks for the replies folks, would like to give beecraigs a shot or muiravonside, does anyone have any maps online that i can, look at.

And Andy feel free to hijack the thread the more inf the better.

Carron valley seems to be getting a bit of praise now its been resurfaced, i was there earlier last year and it was quite rough, so might take myslef up there for another shot.
  • The surface at Carron is very good if you ask me.

My only criticism of Carron is that it seems quite short.

Having a hunt just now for a decent map. Michelin online etc. aren't up to much unless you're on the roads...
    Why so serious?
  • I tried that yesterday but couldn't get it to work.

Seems to be working now though. A wee bit awkward to use on the phone! Thanks for the link. Definitely gonna try and find that route at Tillycoultry.

Cheers all.

Andy
    Why so serious?