sunglasses - do they all fog??

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
does anyone know of a pair of sunglasses which dont fog??

i know at this time of year most will, but i have tried several pairs and all seem to fog whenever im going up hill :(

Comments

• KiNgOfThEmOuNtAiN
    KiNgOfThEmOuNtAiN Posts: 99
    edited February 2010
    redvision wrote:
    does anyone know of a pair of sunglasses which dont fog??

i know at this time of year most will, but i have tried several pairs and all seem to fog whenever im going up hill :(

I've got some from decathlon and they don't fog. The two shaded lenses.
    My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Oakley Jawbone with vented lenses.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I own several pair, of different brands, and have found that the only ones that don't fog up are the ones I'm not wearing. :twisted:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Just rub some washing up liquid on the lenses and hey presto no fog
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    NWLondoner wrote:

This isn't the gospel as I found out. It works but depends on the lens and if you don't re-apply as people forget to stress they will just fog up again.

Mine too steam up chiefly going uphill but I tend to either clip them to my helmet vents or on the bars (gripped by the cable) just for the climb. I cant vouch for any expensive ones as all mine are sub £20 purchases. 8)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My oakleys only ever steam up when I stop riding and its cold. Then I slip them down my nose a bit and they demist quickly.
  • Mic_Waka
    Mic_Waka Posts: 44
    edited May 2010
    Delete This Account Admins
  • go faster up the hills :twisted:

I found the tifosi ones were pretty good for it though.
  • NWLondoner wrote:

I had a mate do that to his Motocross goggles once, trouble is with goggles is that the washing-up liquid collects in the foam around the edge. Next time it rained he had to pull out of his race half way through cuz he couldn't see through all the bubbles...! :wink::lol:
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    cougie wrote:
    My oakleys only ever steam up when I stop riding and its cold. Then I slip them down my nose a bit and they demist quickly.

+1 for this. My Oakley M-Frames have never steamed up whilst riding. The ones with vented lenses are even better.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    They all mist up if there is no air stream past them. The better protection they give the worse they are. Just ride faster.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Anti fogging is all about ventilation. You need to get more air flowing past the lens. This might include cycling faster, ventilated lenses or a good fitting frame.

You want to try an find some glasses that sit away from your face a little bit so they allow air to flow more. A mould-able (sp?) nose piece helps here.

I've tried a few glasses from cheap ones to mid /high range ones. Im currently using some Tiffosi ones and find they are resistant to fogging up as they sit further away from my face then other glasses allowing more air flow but at the same time give good vision and protection.

There are also many anti-fog remedies you can use from sprays used in motor-cycle helmet visors, to washing up liquid or even polishing with potato skin.
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    +1 for Oakleys, I've got some Radars and Flak Jacket XLJs. I can just about get them to steam up a bit if it's freezing and I'm about to die through over exertion, but otherwise they seem to defeat my trying to steam them up.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    My oakley jawbones with vented lenses fog. And they are custom ones with a special coolness forcefield too. They only fog when I stop at traffic lights though, when it is useful to be able to see trucks turning across your path. I reckon Oakley have a license for this technology from the Joo Janta corporation.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    no, they're cool. 8)
    lgfp1206+snoopy-is-joe-cool-charles-schulzs-peanuts-poster.jpg

I can stand here & watch you fools getting foggy all day long. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • As other people have said, try improving the airflow by pulling them down a few millimeters. Failing that the washing up liquid or 'anti-fog' spray should help.

I use the anti fog, mainly because I find it's the only thing that works on my swimming goggles (when I'm swimming not cycling !).

The other thing that works with my goggles is to wash them in very hot water with a lot of washing up liquid in it. Don't rinse them but let them dry naturally. I've never tried this with sunglasses but it works well with goggles.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    HonestAl wrote:
    +1 for Oakleys, I've got some Radars and Flak Jacket XLJs. I can just about get them to steam up a bit if it's freezing and I'm about to die through over exertion, but otherwise they seem to defeat my trying to steam them up.

+1 for Oakleys. My mate has a set of radars, and they work great. I use a pair of 5's, and never had any worries.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Get a product called "Cat Crap".

That'll stop them fogging.

Me - I have issues with sweat. Sweat always seems to run down my face and splatters over the inside of the lenses - so I can't wear glasses when riding (hard).
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ yep, there are products for motorbike helmets and classic car windows to stop them fogging up.

My Morris Minor was undriveable with more than one person in it in winter, you either had to have the windows all the way down and freeze to death or the windows steam up and you'd crash (to death)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm looking for something like Rain-X for my glasses as the rain doesn't seem to disperse on my Bolles. Is Rain-X suitable for plastic glass lenses?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    I'm looking for something like Rain-X for my glasses as the rain doesn't seem to disperse on my Bolles. Is Rain-X suitable for plastic glass lenses?

I would think so because people also put Rain X on their headlights and most of them are acrylic these days.

Rain X also do an anti fog product >>>>>>>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_229902

This also looks good >>> Muc-Off Premium Antifog Treatment
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165742
  • redvee
    Looked at the various water repellant products on sale at Halfords and came away with this mainly cause of the price and the instructions mentioned use on plastics, others I looked at said not to use on plastics. It hasn't harmed the Bolle safety glasses I applied it to this morning. Bring on some rain.
  • jfwall
    jfwall Posts: 41
    I got some Muc-Off anti-fog stuff from Wiggle that worked a treat, also works on ski googles just as well but needs retreating every 3 or 4 rides to be best.

Even on the steepest hills it stops fog.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Muc-O ... 360043557/
  • redvee
    redvee wrote:
    Bring on some rain.

The rain came this morning but not as heavy as expected. The rain was dispersed better on the lenses this morning, think it would have dispersed better if I was riding at 30mph+.